Official Andrulis Poll (Actually with a poll, I hope)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Nov 1, 2004.

1. *futbolfan*

*futbolfan* New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    I understand the reality of the league we operate in. I pray your wrong about the playoffs. At the end of the day the performance of the team in the playoffs was unbearable. I personally am not a huge fan of Greg Andrulis - in fact i hated him earlier in the year. And then i think he turned the corner. And yes his playoff history is pathetic.

I personally hate the atrocity that the league calls the playoffs. I decided that years ago. I mean honestly if you look at a team like new england, and look at the season they had and then think that they could go on to win the cup - its laughable. This is soccer and the best team does not always win. And to think our fan base places so much emphasis on the playoffs, makes my stomach turn! I enjoy watching good soccer and this was the best year to watch good soccer from a seat at hunt park! I truly enjoyed being a crew fan this year and i want to say thanks to whoever is responsible. This team this year was one of the best the league has ever seen.

The result at the end of the year left alot of us heartbroken, but not this crew fan. I was praying that we would win the supporters shield so we could go to the CCC. Given Gregs record in a playoff format I must admit I am worried, but i think they will get the job done. If they win that tourney they will recieve a birth in the World club championship. And that to me would be exciting, to see the crew go up against some of the worlds best clubs would be awesome!

Just my 2 cents

2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank You, Captain Obvious.

3. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If the Crew keep Andrulis there's absolutly no way the Crew will even make it out of the first round of the CCC. The Crew are going to meet up with the best club teams the confederation has to offer and you can't beat those teams without a clue as to how to put together a full(offensive and defensive) game plan.

What the ******** does this have to do with a goddamn thing? Wow there's a whole world out there and other teams that haven't lived up to expectations? Who would have guessed? How many managers have the Cubs and Red Sox gone through in the last 10 years? They never settled, neither should Crew fans

Still, what does that have to do with whether the Crew should or shouldn't keep an underachiving coach who in three's years hasn't shown how to put together a fully developed game plan?

4. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Really is there anyone out there that wants to say the Crew doesn't have good attacking players on their roster? ANYONE? Yet all year long and all of last year, the Crew have struggled to produce offense. Forget all the bagage people put on certain players, Martino, Cunningham, and Buddle are three of the best attacking players in talent alone in MLS and each in their own individual way. Yet this coaching staff can't figure out a way to get them out there together and not stumbling over each other.

Last year one of the most productive pairings the Crew had was Paule at RM and Frankie at RB. Yet before this year Andrulis splits that up, and moves Hejduk to LM and then to various other RWM and LWM spots all year. It took Paule half a season to recover from that move and I love Hejduk but I thought it had already been proven he isn't a midfielder. It also took the coaching staff half a season to figure out Denton was a mellon and to get Wingert out there.

This staff at various times in the year, put a defender at the attacking midfield spot????? Now Oughton didn't do an absolutly terrible job there, but does anyone really want to tell me that's where he's best used. I have no idea where the Sanneh idea came from. NONE.

This whole staff just doesn't understand how to put together a whole game plan. How and where to attack and who to get on the field and where. It's just not there. Throw the dice and hope it works is about all they can do.

5. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most rational post yet. I don't think the guy is the anti-Christ, and I don't completely discount that the team did pull together for a good stretch this year, and I'll even give him some credit for it. But the story is longer than that. You have to look at the entire stretch he's been at the helm. I think this year was the best he could do.

And do they keep the same managers year after losing year? Seems I remember the BoSox firing a manager recently, after making the playoffs last year, right? Look at 'em now. Sometimes you need new blood to push you to the next level. When you consider the Crew's performance graph over the course of several seasons, instead of just July to September of this year, it's pretty flat.

6. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS

Would someone tell this guy to fcuk off? No one here is concerned with your opinion on things. Go back to your fcuking MLS waiting list and shut up. You're not a Crew fan so fcuk off.

7. Dave Han

Dave Han New Member

May 6, 1999
    Auburn, AL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good question. In his first three years as head coach, the Crew finished fourth, fifth and eighth in the single table.

You can give him credit for the first year as the team started so terribly under Fitz and improved under Andrulis.

But then in his first full season, he came in tied for fifth in a ten-team league. One could argue that in a single table league, with just the fifth place finish, he'd have been on thin ice and probably fired halfway through the miserable 2003 season.

But the division split gave him the opportunity to be thought of as the coach of the Eastern conference co-champions. And he got more breathing space with a playoff win over the champion Earthquakes.

Either way, my opinion of him would be the same. He's a great guy and a mediocre coach.