OFFICIAL: Andre Gomes to Join FC Barcelona

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by fdasilva, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In a three man midfield Gomes can do a great job.

As others have mentioned the combination for not being 100% for the Euros and being played out of position hindered his impact.

By no means our best prospect, but thats not a knock on him considering the players we have coming up now. I dont think he'll ever be world class, but I think he'll become very good.

2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think it is too early for Gomes. Having commented regularly on his inconsistent passing, a great 50m long ball to a missed 5m pass. He also has to use his strength more and his decision making needs to be elevated. That said he has the potential and being a two footed player also is a big drawing card, but he has a short time to turn that into fruition. Hope I am wrong but I think it is a bad move for Gomes or one that will maybe only improve him as a player in the longer term i.e. after Barcelona.

SCP_16 repped this.
  3. joudre

joudre Member

Jan 3, 2016
    My though on that move is very simple. We need to wait because iniesta is getting old and barca need a back for him..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Exactly

5. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He gets to play with Messi and Ronaldo. That's pretty cool

6. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He needs to be on good terms with the cannibal

7. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Im sure theres something in Gomes contract that says he must proclaim Messi as the greatest player.

SCP_16 repped this.
  8. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Yeah, he can't mention the European title or joke about missing penalties.

9. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #34 Sumol, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    What a mess....

He's lost his mind.

[​IMG]

10. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of me feels like he's going thru a crisis.

Another part of me is saying, well, beckham did all this stuff too, so normal for an athlete his age.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle

11. Michael F

Michael F Member

Jun 22, 2016
    United States, NJ
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Look at his crazy eyes though. LMAO

12. The Dragon Lee

The Dragon Lee New Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    The few games I watched of Valencia, Gomes looked really good. He seemed to carry a lot of the work when Valencia fell. Reminds me a lot of Xavi Alonso with better feet.

I think Barcelona grabbed a great player and he surely will get a spot on Barca.

13. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
  15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    In his first press conference, he answered some pretty tough questions very well - here's a brief summary:

Why did you choose Barcelona over Real Madrid?

"It's a very personal thing. Every club has their own identity and the one that is closest to my identity and personality is Barcelona. I had to choose and had no doubts. It has to do with the club's philosophy."

"My father (who is a fervent Barça supporter) was very emotional when he found out his son would be a Barça player. He's been here for many years and it was very emotional for him and for me. I knew he would be proud."

"Barça has great midfield players, but before anything I want to continue to grow and learn. I'll have to adjust to the club's philosophy."

Who do you prefer - Messi or Ronaldo?

"We all know they are two great players, each one with their own style. I was with Ronaldo in the National Team and now I can enjoy playing with Messi. Now I'm with Barcelona and that is my main focus"

16. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How was he? Celtic got spanked.

17. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    From the highlights, he looked more comfortable in their passing system and tried one of his runs to goal. But mostly he kept it simple - the stars of the show are MSN, basically they just give them the ball and let them do their thing.

18. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JoseEmidio repped this.
  19. Andrew Turner

Andrew Turner New Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Gomes is a quality player.

20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    His adapting to Barcelona's way has bbeen slow, but yesterday vs Atletic, I think it was his best performance

21. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hia performances for Barca has been lackluster IMO. He keeps getting PT which is nice. Just if you're a Barca supporter, I'd suppose you rather have Busquets, Iniesta, Rakitic, Denis Suarez, Arda or Rafinha playing ahead of him.

22. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I think it's his way of playing, a slow moving type, whereas his present teammates are more dynamic. This difference is readily apparent and leaves the spectator wondering if he's out of tune with the team, and, consequently not a proper fit. However, against Atletico he showed more dynamism . He's learning their way and should be OK.

23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    sub'ed out while Barcelona was still tied with Leganes . Whittles could be heard. I doubt it he'll be there next season.

24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #49 Sumol, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Lucho is just trying to give him as many chances as he can to justify the payment he made for him. Andre has turned into such a conservative player playing for Barca, he looked nothing like this playing for Valencia. He's too afraid to make a mistake and its turned him into a pylon. He can't handle the pressure.

Also, from that list of players it seems to me that Barca looks the best whenever Arda plays (Cuz he's a stud) and Busquets to me is the best DM in the world.

25. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Andre Gomes sucks ass. Dude was getting destroyed by PSG, much like he did during the Euro. He's not that good. Period.