Official 2024 Nadeshiko Japan Thread [R] - なでしこジャパン(英語スレッド)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by blissett, Dec 31, 2023.

1. frideswide

frideswide Member+

Kumamoto Renaissance FC
    Feb 27, 2014
    København
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Several 'football' articles about the NK team have been published this week (one in the Guardian), none of which mention the name of a single NK player, nor even the name of the coach. I can't imagine writing like this about a non-Asian country. At best, it's lazy journalism.

Anyway, I think the main attacking threats will be coming from their number 10 Hak Ri (리학) -- she's just 21 years old and has terrific feet; and also Kyong-yong Kim (김경용), who wears number 17 and scored the only goal against Japan at the Asian Games last year. Coach Yu Il Ri will deploy a very athletic and well-trained squad against the Nadeshiko. I'm very much looking forward to it.

KAPIJXM, Lechus7, blissett and 4 others repped this.
  2. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Has been the North Korean squad for the matches against Japan anywhere published?:unsure:
    I would blame this more on North Korea than the journalists.:cautious:

Ponde_Ringu repped this.
  3. frideswide

frideswide Member+

Kumamoto Renaissance FC
    Feb 27, 2014
    København
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    #403 frideswide, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    The current squad of 22 players for the Olympic qualifiers is known:

https://m.football-lineups.com/team/North-Korea/AFC-Womens-Olympic-Qualifying-2024/players

And in fact they are the same that played in the EAFF Championship in December, so we even know about their performance. It's not known which of these coach Yu Il Ri will field on Saturday, as indeed it's not known which players Ikeda-san will start.

I'm just saying that an article about the NK Women's team should include at least something about the players.

4. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    That happens very often unfortunately, it's a mixture of arrogance and a false sense of moral superiority making those journalists think that some teams are not worthy of attention and coverage at all.

5. Ponde_Ringu

Ponde_Ringu Member+

May 17, 2021

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/20/north-korea-womens-football-moving-the-goalposts

If you are talking about this article, it’s written by a friend of mine, Alex Bishop, which makes this conversation a bit uncomfortable. :oops::oops:

He’s lives in Japan and is one of the main writers of the site “the Asian game”. He’s actually a great journalist when it comes to Japanese football both men & women. He’s probably one of the two English speaking journalists I trust when it comes to Nadeshiko or the WE league. I’d recommend you follow his Twitter account.

I guess this article isn’t his best work, though I enjoyed it since I don’t have an interest in learning about North Korean players. It’s a good piece if you want to learn the history behind the game in North Korea, which I think is the point of the article. Anyway, don’t discredit him too much, as he’s one of the very few journalists that take the women’s game seriously in Japan. I’d go as far as saying he’s better than most Japanese football journalists.

6. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    I'm not targeting Bishop or anyone, I meant in general. This is a bigger issue than one or two journalists, one or two media websites or newspapers, it's part of a wider culture of disparagement against certain teams, clubs, players hiding behind a false sense of superiority. Like for instance Sweden coming to play in Bosnia in the Nations League and 99,9% of articles in Sweden focusing on the bad air quality in winter in the city where the game will be played while not saying a thing about the Bosnian players.

7. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I would add Sung Hyan Sim (no.7) to the mix. She may be set either as left winger (sometimes right winger) or even perhaps as support striker. She is very crafty on technical side and has good awarness of things around her. At 156 cm she isn't the tallest player around but she does compensate that with an outstanding engine (she makes a lots of runs). Think a player that is cross between Miki Ito and Yui Narumiya but with Risa Shimizu engine.

8. frideswide

frideswide Member+

Kumamoto Renaissance FC
    Feb 27, 2014
    København
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    I don't know Alex, he might be a good guy -- at any rate his article was not much worse than the others that have appeared this week in the run-up to the match.

I'm a Nadeshiko fan, not a North Korea fan - but I like to know something about our opposition: Who are their best players? What to watch out for? What is the average age of the team? Are they a very young team or a team full of veterans? What has been their recent form?

In the case of the piece in the Guardian, despite the fact that he begins by explicitly making this game the context of the article:
    ..we learn exactly none of these things. Instead we have cut-and-paste descriptions of the team's historical role as an instrument of North Korean state policy. That is true, but what is also true is that these young women are actually real people who deserve not to be characterised as anonymous representatives of an oppressive state by never referring to any of them individually, even once.

9. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Any instrument of communist state policy deserves to be neglected in press and ostracized.
    Regarding athletic field - crushed, embarassed and humiliated.

I hope Nadeshiko Japan can provide that. :thumbsup:

10. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    The North Korea national team is not an instrument of communist state policy, it's just women playing football. By that same logic and reasoning, Belarus and China's teams are instruments of communist state policy.

11. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    I responded to frideswide statement.

BIHfan repped this.
  12. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    My bad but yeah you get what I mean. I don't mind finding out more about the North Korean players, politics aside.

#5nadeshikofan repped this.
  13. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I may be busy today helping my parents. If someone can record the match and upload it later on youtube or google drive for download, I would appreciate it. Alternatively I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good soul to stream it live and in good quality (better than turnip stream) on youtube ;)

Miora, unepommekun and Ponde_Ringu repped this.
  14. Ponde_Ringu

Ponde_Ringu Member+

May 17, 2021
    #414 Ponde_Ringu, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    If you are referring to the game vs North Korea, it’s tomorrow. Hopefully that means you can watch it live.

blissett repped this.
  15. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Oh, yes thanks, I forgot it's actually 24th not 23rd... :oops: That changes things a bit cuz I should be back at home by then. :)

blissett and Ponde_Ringu repped this.
  16. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    I love these mini shows, I just wish they were translated. Japan has a lot of fans around the world, me included, who do not speak a word of Japanese sometimes despite following Japanese football for decades.

17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    AFC yt channel will show the match (also UZB vs. AUS)

DPK - JPN

UZB - AUS

KAPIJXM, Miora, Elstree and 7 others repped this.
  18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #419 Lechus7, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    you can check geoblocked countries here: https://polsy.org.uk/stuff/ytrestrict.cgi

Allowed countries
    AD - Andorra
    AF - Afghanistan
    AO - Angola
    BE - Belgium
    BF - Burkina Faso
    BG - Bulgaria
    BI - Burundi
    BJ - Benin
    BM - Bermuda
    BN - Brunei Darussalam
    BT - Bhutan
    BW - Botswana
    CA - Canada
    CD - Congo (Democratic Republic of the)
    CF - Central African Republic
    CG - Republic of the Congo
    CI - Côte d'Ivoire
    CM - Cameroon
    CV - Cabo Verde
    CY - Cyprus
    CZ - Czech Republic
    DK - Denmark
    ER - Eritrea
    ES - Spain
    ET - Ethiopia
    FI - Finland
    FO - Faroe Islands
    FR - France
    GA - Gabon
    GB - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    GH - Ghana
    GI - Gibraltar
    GL - Greenland
    GM - Gambia
    GN - Guinea
    GQ - Equatorial Guinea
    GR - Greece
    GU - Guam
    GW - Guinea-Bissau
    HK - Hong Kong
    HU - Hungary
    IS - Iceland
    IT - Italy
    KE - Kenya
    KH - Cambodia
    KM - Comoros
    KP - North Korea
    LA - Lao People's Democratic Republic
    LI - Liechtenstein
    LR - Liberia
    LS - Lesotho
    LU - Luxembourg
    MC - Monaco
    MG - Madagascar
    ML - Mali
    MP - Northern Mariana Islands
    MT - Malta
    MU - Mauritius
    MW - Malawi
    MY - Malaysia
    MZ - Mozambique
    NA - Namibia
    NE - Niger
    NG - Nigeria
    NL - Netherlands
    NO - Norway
    NP - Nepal
    NZ - New Zealand
    PH - Philippines
    PK - Pakistan
    PL - Poland
    PR - Puerto Rico
    PT - Portugal
    RE - Réunion
    RO - Romania
    RW - Rwanda
    SC - Seychelles
    SE - Sweden
    SG - Singapore
    SH - Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
    SK - Slovakia
    SL - Sierra Leone
    SM - San Marino
    SN - Senegal
    SS - South Sudan
    ST - Sao Tome and Principe
    TG - Togo
    TH - Thailand
    TR - Turkey
    TZ - Tanzania,
    UG - Uganda
    US - United States of America
    VA - Vatican City State
    VI - United States Virgin Islands
    YT - Mayotte
    ZA - South Africa
    ZM - Zambia
    ZW - Zimbabwe

Miora, Elstree, Ponde_Ringu and 4 others repped this.
  19. Ponde_Ringu

Ponde_Ringu Member+

May 17, 2021
  20. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
  21. Ponde_Ringu

Ponde_Ringu Member+

May 17, 2021
    Kumagai and Minami compete in UWCL knowledge and it’s not even close.:giggle:

Also trying to figure out how many languages Kumagai speaks in this 8 minute video.

KAPIJXM, Lohmann, blissett and 3 others repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would be interested about the complete correct answers to those questions: apart the one about the WCL's winner teams, I am not sure I would be able to come up with the complete lists myself... :cautious:

Ponde_Ringu repped this.
  23. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    #424 lukephan, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024

Nadeshiko Japan memory refreshing service: "the player from Wolfsburg" will start for Poland against Switzerland (friendly match). :sneaky:

24. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Miora, blissett and lukephan repped this.