Official 2023 Rumors / Signings / Trades thread.

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 21, 2022.

1. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just seems borderline criminal doesn’t it? Wow that’s a whole lot of money.

2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know about criminal but it sure is bonkers. What are these ME countries going to do when a cheap energy sources become more widely available and oil prices plummet?

JPAR, 73Bruin, Dawdler and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I know it’s not terribly new and maybe the sports washing debacle going on in Qatar has me more sensitive (than usual), but it’s been so disappointing to see people who have more money than anyone could reasonably spend in several lifetimes accept obscene amounts of money from obscene regimes. I sympathize with the athletes stuck between a possible once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but I lost a ton of respect for Beckham and his accepting of £150m from the Qatari government.

It seems Liverpool will be the team next and Man United after that. Juventes is in dire straights and Barcelona has mortgaged their future in a futile attempt to keep up. Western billionaires just can’t compete with nation-state entities and FFP is an utter joke. Might as well start that stupid super league and have all the petro-chemical teams ******** off and compete amongst themselves …

well that took a turn. At least MLS for all its faults and annoyances can’t be as easily consumed.

Berks, ShortyMac, ProudNatRN and 8 others repped this.
  4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    this is what they’re going to do. I remember years ago when Dubai was starting to make a name for itself as a tourist destination they were very upfront that oil was a dead end economically and they were diversifying in to tourism, entertainment and banking. They probably own half the solar/wind/geo/hydro anyway just like the other petroleum companies.

hav77, Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  5. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    All the reports I read about CR7 playing in Saudi Arabia state that it's a sponsorship-heavy deal and hinges on image rights.
    ...and as Andre Agassi made it clear in the '80s: Image is Everything.

Geneva, JPAR, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They should just buy a few hundred trillion dollars worth of an S&P index fund. :thumbsup:

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably for the best. Hasn't looked like the best player for Portugal, let alone the tournament.

TrickHog repped this.
  8. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Uruguay’s #10 Arrascaeta is quite the player. He seems like the type of player a certain AEG owned LA team needs.

73Bruin, LEM-LAG, Neubill and 2 others repped this.
  9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #209 mbar, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022

holy ********.

we can’t even cheat effectively.

The penalties assessed against Galaxy include a $1-million fine for the club and a $1-million loss of available future general allocation money. The team also will be prohibited from registering a player who requires the receipt of an international transfer certificate (ITC) from outside of the United States and Canada during the secondary transfer window in 2023.

10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocking.

Embarrassing.

They can’t possibly keep those tainted by this. DTK already gone, Klein should go too. Vanney seems in the clear.

Why does mls only act 4 years later? That’s the oddest thing to me.

Is it new evidence or can we look forward to sanctions on lafc and other teams for 2022 4 years from now?

11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    If I had to guess the cause of the delay, it's usually because the evidence came to light from someone who held a grudge against the Galaxy and had reason to know. Could be Pavon's agent if he felt they screwed him over (and/or he told another MLS team about it). Usually, an agent doesn't want to burn bridges like that, but you never know. He's less likely to be a repeat player. Could also be GBS, although he doesn't seem like he's been holding a grudge since his kid continued to play in the Galaxy Academy long after he was let go.

12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pavon’s camp for sure.
    Pathetic.

I’m confused though about the ban. We can still sign international players this winter, but not summer of 2023? I guess we can plan for that.

I hope the Puig deal is legit.

13. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I hope the Puig deal is legit.[/QUOTE]

Read my mind

14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    My guess, and it's only a guess, is that MLS doesn't think it would be good for the league to completely prevent one of the clubs int'l players want to come to from having it as an option. It's also possible we're already far enough down the road with an int'l signing that they don't want to interfere at this point.

There are two other ways to look at it:

1. This was really a Klein punishment. Since they are removing Klein from any involvement with sporting decisions through the primary transfer window and limiting Galaxy to domestic signings in the secondary window when (or if) Klein is back, the penalty is really a limit on Klein's influence on int'l signings, not on the Galaxy's ability to do so for 2023, which MLS doesn't want to completely restrict.

2. Signing in the primary window is harder than the secondary window after the European season is over, so this is worse than a half year ban that wouldn't really affect our ability to sign players.

73Bruin, Berks, skydog and 6 others repped this.
  15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh.

73Bruin, Berks, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  16. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The puig deal is really making me sweat now... A lot of my Austin FC friends have asked how did we get Puig on a non-DP deal when he was making like 35k in Spain. I really have no answer, but I have some ideas...

17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    How do you cut Klein out of transfer dealings while still President? It’s like when coaches get suspended for the next game. They still do all the prep, make the half time adjustments and work with/tell their assistants what to do.

He’s just demonstrated he’s willing to cheat and you’re just going to take his word he won’t this time when it would so easy to hide?

18. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Memphis Depay is another one.

19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Just saw speculation the reason the ban on international transfers is for the summer and not the winter window is we have a signing lined up. Makes sense. Ugh just when I was looking at MLS as being the potential antidote to the failed state of FFP in Europe.

TrickHog, hav77, JPAR and 2 others repped this.
  20. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    A dream DP! Combo of Keane and Donovan all in one player.

The Beautiful Gamer and Dawdler repped this.
  21. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

Lot of speculation on Long but this source is usually reliable on NYRB players.

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One potential benefit, if they are actually good enough, is that we probably will have to rely more on our cheaper homegrown players to make up for the lack of GAM. Perez, Neil, Aguirre, Judd might get more minutes out of budget necessity.

23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don’t think Neil or Judd are good enough to help us in the long run. But I think Aguirre is and I would love to see more of Perez.

24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presumably, long will be a gam/tam signing. Considering that we are going to be short those phones in the coming year kind of says something that they still think we need to go for that they always talk of Neil but they sure don’t seem to want to give them any MLS minutes.

25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So Long will replace Williams. Lot of attention being paid to cb’s when our main need* is a productive winger or two.

*And a new President of Operations.