Official 2022+ Samurai Blue thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Samurai Warrior, Jan 7, 2022.

1. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #176 HTCONEM8, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    I really don't know what to feel with this current Japan anymore haha. It's a mixed feelings situation, but more of pessimism than optimism. I hope things will end up like in WC 10 but better.
    My main concern would be playing against bunkered teams. I don't want to see another WC 14 Greece match.

almeyda82 repped this.
  2. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So Japan will be in pot 3, as it stands their options for the draw is as follows:

From Pot 4 Japan cannot be drawn in the same group as Saudi Arabia or the winner of CONMEBOL/AFC play-off, as teams from the same confederation cannot be drawn in the same group.

Then Japan will meet either an African team: Cameroon, Ghana, or Tunisia.
    Or either: Ecuador, the winner of the CONCACF/OFC play-off, or the remaing European team (Wales/Scotland/Ukrahne).

So it is 50/50 to face an African team, and this team could be theoretically the team which Japan shall win against as this team is most probably the "weakest" opponents Japan can face compared to teams in Pot 1 & 2 (the same is applicable to other teams in Pot 4 as well).

However, playing against an African team will not prevent Japan from facing any team from Pot A or Pot B (except Qatar, as Qatar is an AFC nation).

While if Japan get Ecuador from Pot 4 then they will not be able to be drawn in a group with Brazil or Argentina, as members from the same association cannot be drawn in the same group, and if we add to this that Japan cannot face Qatar in the GS for the same reason, then if Japan draw in the same group as Ecuador they will get one of the four European teams from Pot 1: France, England, Spain or Portugal. Japan also won't be able to face Uruguay from Pot 2 (which means Japan will either get a team from Europe or USA or Mexico from Pot 2).

If Japan get Wales/Scotland/Ukraine from Pot 4, then they will not be able to face more than 2 European teams in their group, so Japan will end up with the following combinations:

1- if Japan get Brazil or Argentina from Pot 1 then they will avoid facing Uruguay in the GS. 2- if they get one of the European teams from Pot 1 (France, England, Spain, or Portugal) , then they will face either: Mexico or USA from Pot B.

While if Japan get the winner of CONCACAF/OFC, they won't be able to face another team from the CONCACF, which means they will either face Uruguay or a European team from Pot 2.

seolseol repped this.
  3. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I am afraid that Japan won't be able to play against a European team until October, because European teams will be busy playing the useless UEFA Nations League in June (4 matches) and in September (2 matches).

African nations may start their African Cup of Nations qualifiers in June as well.

So, most probably Japan have to schedule friendlies against teams from CONMEBOL/CONCACAF in June, and try to find a space between the Nations league matches and schedule a friendly or two in Europe in September.

The key for Japan is to schedule friendlies against teams drawn in the same group as South Korea, as these teams will be willing to play Japan as a preparation to face the Koreans in the World Cup.

4. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So favourable draw scenarios for Japan will be:

Pot 1: England/Portugal/Spain/France
    Pot 2: USA
    Pot 3: Japan
    Pot 4: Ecuador

Or

Pot 2: Switzerland/Uruguay/Croatia/Denmark
    Pot 4: Costa Rica/New Zealand

Or

Pot 2: USA/Uruguay
    Pot 4: Cameroon/Ghana/Tunisia

Or

Pot 2: USA/Uruguay
    Pot 4: Wales/Scotland/Ukraine

5. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Some tough teams to face, but then again, everything could change in the following months leading to November 21st. Teams including Japan might lose their key players to injury, drop in form, managerial changes...etc.

almeyda82 repped this.
  6. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Japan will host four friendly matches in June, with the opponents yet to be determined:

Kirin Challenge Cup (one-off matches) :

2/June (@ Sapporo).
    6/June (@ Tokyo).

Kirin Super Cup (4 teams tournament) :

10/June (@ Kobe).
    14/June (@ Osaka/Suita).

Japan cannot host a European national team at those matches, as all European teams will be playing Nations League matches in that period.

The participating teams identity will depend on the results of the 2022 World Cup Draw (1/April) and who Japan will going to face at the WC.

7. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
  8. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  9. Kanarienvogel

Kanarienvogel Member

Nov 15, 2019
    You have it the wrong way around with Ecuador I'm afraid. Getting Ecuador won't prevent getting Brazil/Argentina/Uruguay, as far as I know pot 4 will be emptied last, so getting one of the other 3 prevents Japan from getting Ecuador.

Then depends too on how the draw is done exactly, how they deal with the teams that can't go in a certain group anymore...

Example: Group A with Qatar already done,
    Group B Brazil-USA
    Group C: France-Germany

Japan is drawn... then normally Group B. But think once I saw that in that case they put a team in Group C, because Group C can't have any other Europeans and Serbia is still there... if they do it that weird way that would increase the chances that Japan gets a South American early.

Anyway, looks like an African team is rather likely.

And I guess everybody hopes to get the US from pot 2 (and those that can Qatar-USA)

Brazil-Germany-Japan-Wales.
    Bring it on!

10. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    teioh and Radu Razvan repped this.
  11. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ikr? :D
    They've always been Japan's bogeyman. Their current players are good too e.g Antony, Raphinha, Richarlson, Paqueta, Vini Jr...etc. It's gonna be a useful test to Moriyasu's defensive tactics.

almeyda82 repped this.
  12. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes, Pot 1 is going to be drawn first. I was not meaning the order of the draw as much as I was meaning who is Japan will get from Pot 4 (theoretically the easiest team to beat in the GS).

13. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  14. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    My concern is in friendly Japan will get a 1-1 or a 0-0, then the hype will become unbelievable and in WC Japan will f**k up and get 4-0'd by Brazil.

15. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That's exactly what happened with Zac's Japan, they beat Argentina, France, and Belgium (I think) in the friendlies but got humbled in the WC by Ivory Coast and Colombia.

I'd rather it goes the other way around, getting stomped on in the friendlies, then surprise the whole world in the WC :sneaky:

16. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #191 Samurai Warrior, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Yes. Eventhough the win against Argentina goes back to 2010 (early in Zacherooni's reign) and the win against France in 2012 (before the team secured their qualification and began preparing for 2014 World Cup), but they drew 2-2 against The Netherlands, won 3-2 against Belgium in late 2013 (both matches played in Belgium in preparation for the 2014 WC).

17. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    seolseol repped this.
  18. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Tunisia is now in Pot 3, while Canada in Pot 4 as a result of their defeat against Panama.

So teams Japan can be drawn against from Pot 4 are: Cameroon, Ghana, Canada, Ecuador, The winner from Wales/Scotland/Ukraine, and the winner from Costa Rica/New Zealand.

19. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh damn I didn't realise the draw is on Friday. That's good.
    I think this will be a high quality World Cup. Seems like there aren't many total rubbish teams making the cut. Ofcourse next time around with 48 teams that'll change.

gamban98 repped this.
  20. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #195 HTCONEM8, Mar 31, 2022
    ikr?
    Asia will have 8 f***king teams! What were they thinking? Oh well, it's all about the money.
    The last Euro wasn't as exciting, especially the group stage, due to the large numbers of teams participating.

Oh, here is a website that does a mock WC draw done for you by just pressing a button.
    https://draw.inker.one/#/wc/gs
    Somehow, I mostly get Brazil and Germany in Japan's group, lol

gamban98, almeyda82 and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  21. tomoyuki

tomoyuki Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Interestingly, this team has had a pretty good record against traditional Asian powerhouses.

2019 1-0 Saudi Arabia (Asian Cup)
    2019 3-0 Iran (Asian Cup)
    2021 3-0 South Korea (Friendly)
    2021 0-1 Saudi Arabia (WCQ)
    2021 2-1 Australia (WCQ)
    2022 2-0 Saudi Arabia (WCQ)
    2022 2-0 Australia (WCQ)

6 wins & 1 loss / 13 goals for & 2 goals against

* I didn't include the South Korea match in the 2019 E1 championship because it was played on a non-FIFA date.

Samurai Warrior and gamban98 repped this.
  22. tomoyuki

tomoyuki Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Portugal is the only team Japan has never faced. In 2003 they were scheduled to play the Kirin Cup in Japan but withdrew from it because of SARS virus.

23. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #198 HTCONEM8, Mar 31, 2022
    Japan's performances in previous WC tournaments were:

98 GS
    02 R16
    06 GS
    10 R16
    14 GS
    18 R16
    22 ???

Hmm... Pretty interesting. Would they break the trend (curse) this time? :cool:

Oh, and what's wild for me is going by The JFA pledge for 2050, if the above trend continues, Japan would end up winning the WC in 2050!!! :eek:
    I hope I am still alive when that happens.

almeyda82 repped this.
  24. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Group E:

Spain .
    Costa Rica / New Zealand .
    Japan .
    Germany .

Well at least Japan got either Costa Rica and New Zealand.

25. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh this is interesting