Official 2022+ Samurai Blue thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Samurai Warrior, Jan 7, 2022.

1. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think everyone would agree with that?

This current team has the opportunity to go beyond though.

2. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    I don't know, I always had a feeling that fans have mixed feelings about that 2010 team but I remember I was impressed by it, especially the CB pair Tulio and Nakazawa.

Yes, I want them so badly to go beyond the round of 16 finally.

BigDnm01 repped this.
  3. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    2010 was incredible. But this time is even greater. Beat both Germany and Spain and top of the group of death.

Now chance to make history

BigDnm01 repped this.
  4. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What was special about that team was that the vast majority was J.League players, and a Japanese manager. That tournament basically was the launchpad for so many massive names for Japan over the next decade.

5. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Btw, that 4 years cycle is broken this time. So maybe it is a start of something good.

For anyone don't know, before Japan always had a good and a bad World Cup back to back

1998: Group stage
    2002: RO16
    2006: Group stage
    2010: RO16
    2014: Group stage
    2018: RO16
    2022: RO16 so far.

6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
  7. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    #1232 Testator, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    If Modrić and Perišić start, Japan will win 90%. Croatia's manager hasn't rotated enough, and if he wants to win, he must do it on Monday, no matter how big the influence of the team leaders is. Moriyasu's rotation of key players against Costa Rica was a mistake, and then it wasn't. Japan had enough energy for a fierce charge that broke Spain's spirit.

The high tide of the blue sea washed away the furious reds. How shall the fiery checkered warriors stand up to it?

8. tomoyuki

tomoyuki Member

Dec 19, 2017
    I think we can call this WC a successful one even if Japan loses to Croatia.

1) Japan won the group stage on neutral venue for the first time
    2) Japan beat 2 powerhouses
    3) Japan made the final 16 in back-to-back WCs for the first time

Whispered11, teioh, HTCONEM8 and 2 others repped this.
  9. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Meh, I'd like them to make it beyond the round of 16 for once. Trust me, you don't want to get "stuck" only making it as far as the round of 16 for decades, it's not a fun feeling.

10. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    If Japan win tomorrow, i think even Brazil are beatable.

Testator repped this.
  11. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Croatia aren't THAT hard to beat.

12. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    I hope both teams show some impressive きがい (fighting spirit, guts) on Monday. A contest of wills to determine who goes on. The steely nerves of the Croatian "Russian generation" backed by new names, or the steady, yet ferocious Japanese giant-slayers.

気概 !

13. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    It's hardly Croatia's "Russian generation", there are only about 8 players left from the squad that reached the 2018 World Cup final and most of them are in their mid 30s now.

14. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    #1239 Testator, Dec 3, 2022
    These 8 are more or less all starters. And they bring vital experience. Although, since they haven't been rotated in the group stages, rotation will have to happen on Monday. Starting a dead tired Modrić would be underestimating Japan. Dalić must make 3 changes to the usual starting XI at least, in my opinion. Pace and stamina are needed.

Moriyasu, on the other hand, should, rationally speaking, push his D-line up and contest the midfield to deny Croatia the right to pressure Japan's defense and get set pieces. Starting the very tall Schmidt in goals may be a gamble worth taking, as well.

15. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    I can't see Japan gambling with the goalkeeping position, Gonda has been very solid so far.

16. NaohiroTakahara

NaohiroTakahara Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    #1241 NaohiroTakahara, Dec 3, 2022
    Normaly I would take Schmidt 10 times over Gonda, especially cause of his giant height. Maybe the biggest goalkeeper in the WC?

But now after Gonda does some good stuff, you need to go the Gonda way, he deserved it and maybe you need to take his energy he earned this tournament to focus the team.

Also a Yoshida. Normaly he need to be benched but he does some crucial saves and is pretty solid this tournament. Normaly there is no way a Hiroki Ito is on the bench instead of him. But now he also deserved it to played the maybe most important game for Japan.

Good think is that a Lovren from Croatia is mistake prone as hell like Yoshida. Maybe he will have a bad day when Kamada scored his firs WC goal.

My dream would be a hell of a game from Japan, with 0℅ stress for us. Something like 3-0 to Half time that we can lay back and enjoy cause I need some break from this genius and entertaining heartattack stuff over 90 minutes hahaha. That would be my wish.

teioh repped this.
  17. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Slow as well. Against a big, burly striker he's OK, but he'll be facing Maeda and later Asano. Gvardiol is good, but it's hard to cover your partner in defense with a face mask. No peripheral vision sucks against a guy like Maeda.

But as a Croat, I'll say Japan's biggest chance is Croatia fielding tired players that played 3 straight games. Moriyasu's troops are better rested, Mitoma, Asano and Minamino in particular. The underutilized Croatian bench has strong names, and if Dalić swaps them in, then I give my homeland a 55% chance to win. If not, 70% chance Japan defeats a third team full of big names, and with it, causes a second major crash-out of the tournament.

18. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Being super tall when you're a keeper is not necessarily an advantage. You often cannot have the reflexes and the quickness of a shorter keeper.

19. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He also does stupid passes for Morita which cost a goal so I wouldn't say he's still solid, but I agree overall he's been much better than expected.
    Also I disagree, Ito should remain on the bench and Tomi and Itakura should be the starters when possible.

20. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Watch many of the YouTubers who talks about the Japan squad pre-world cup and many chose Kamada as the standout star for Japan since he been in great form for Frankfurt. But so far he hasn’t been living up to the height, has he? I hope he comes alive for Japan in the Croatia match, and beyond.

Kubo and Maeda seem to be utilized to tire out the defenders mainly.

Mitoma is the standout for me, every time he sub on, he always seem impressive going forward, like he did for Brighton.

21. NaohiroTakahara

NaohiroTakahara Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    And dont forget Junya Ito and Ritsu Doan, there both outstanding this WC.

Of course Itakura and Tomiyasu should be starters but Hiroki Ito is also pure class. Maybe not as good as those two but he rarely pay for Japan and never as a CB. Hiroki Ito is a very very good CB, he proves it 2 years at Stuttgart. When he continue like this but bigger clubs will chase him.

22. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Wasn't it determined that Itakura would be unavailable for the game?

teioh repped this.
  23. gunitinug

gunitinug Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Croatians are huge and strong. Can japanese players handle it?

24. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    Height is always going to be a problem for a team like Japan but then again Asano (who is 5'8 or 173 cm tall) made Schlotterbeck (who is 6'3 or 191 cm tall) look like a fool on the second Japan goal against Germany.

25. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Take the 4 most important croatians vs their japanese opponents on the field:

Modric 1.72 vs W.Endo 1.78
    Brozovic 1.81 vs Kamada 1.84
    Perisic 1.86 vs Tomiyasu 1.88
    Livaja (their CF) 1.82 vs Yoshida 1.89

Sure their CBs are 1.85 and 1.88 taller than Maeda and Asano (both 1.73) but I think that choose A.Ueda or Machino because they are taller will be a dumb choice.