Official 2022+ Samurai Blue thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Samurai Warrior, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  2. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    It's no dream. Enjoy!

I have to perform another dogeza to Moriyasu. Guy's the giant killer.

....Croatia have very tall players, and are giants in that and footballing sense.

Why do I have a feeling Japan will defeat my homeland's best 11, next?:eek:

BigDnm01 repped this.
  3. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You realize Spain were eliminated at one point when Costa Rica was winning?

teioh repped this.
  4. Kanarienvogel

Kanarienvogel Member

Nov 15, 2019
    Asano probably ran 700 meters in 30 minutes? Ok, take him out at some point, Maeda I mean, but wait another 10' and ideally spare the world more Asano. Put in Minamino. Or Furuhashi. Or Osako. Ah, ok... well, Minamino.

5. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Spain could not risk losing and speculating especially as Costa Rica went to lead. Anything could happen at that point.

teioh repped this.
  6. Omicron8788

Omicron8788 New Member

Barcelona
    Italy
    Jan 20, 2019
    Vietnam
    Just like I expected, Spain is not a real challenging side as in the past, esp. with Busquets in the middle and without any decent forward in the front.
    @AKITOD , you see, I said that winning Spain is a reasonable possiblity, and it is the case now!!! Congrats Japan once again!!!!!!!!!!

BigDnm01, Kamtedrejt, teioh and 3 others repped this.
  7. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1182 svelten, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    Morocco beat Belgium 2-0 and Croatia were super lucky not to be down 2, 3 goals against Lukaku - and this Belgium team is a hollow shell of its former self. Don't mind the scoreline of the Canada-Croatia game, Canada were way out of their element and one of worst teams this WC - this is coming from a Canadian fan. Morocco could have put a couple more past Canada today and conceded their only goal of the tournament so far on a fluke OG.

Spain have no reason to purposefully avoid Croatia and take on Morocco - and they didn't, they were totally going for it at the end. At least they know Croatia pretty well as an opponent.

Japan just won against Germany and Spain this past week, and almost anybody would say those are stronger teams than Croatia. So I've no idea why people are writing them off already.

-IF- they make it through Croatia though, then yes, Brazil stand in the way and it's very likely WC over, but still huge achievement.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Norf London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Was thinking the same at this point in the match but man did he prove me wrong

BigDnm01, teioh and seolseol repped this.
  9. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That 2nd goal would be the topic of discussions for years to come, but I don't mind taking it lol, and it's karma for Germany for that Lampard goal in WC 2010 :D

BigDnm01 repped this.
  10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No worries, Spain won't complain.

I will root for you guys now. Show them the way of the Bushi!

teioh and HTCONEM8 repped this.
  11. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Haha yep. Cred when cred is due like I alway say. Im not a Tanaka fan but yes he manned up.

Yojimbo repped this.
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Norf London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Call me crazy but I think Croatia is a better match up for Japan than Morocco

13. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Could be. Morocco are the home team now as the only Arab team left. They are playing really well, too.
    Croatia can be deceiving so hard to tell.

14. Omicron8788

Omicron8788 New Member

Barcelona
    Italy
    Jan 20, 2019
    Vietnam
    A little crazy here: Japan will probably meet Brazil and Argentina on their road to the final (yes, I already think of the final for Japs). Brazil for sure is the real challenger here and many will readily assume that Japs would be over then. But looking back to Brazil’s performance vs Switzerland who has a rather similar defensive manner and style as Japs but whose front is not as good as Japs (with Mitoma, Ito, Doan, Asano and even Minamino), I suppose that Japs would do something beyond our common sense if Moriyasu would not ruin it like the match vs Costa Rica.

OK, that’s for later dícussion if Japs defeat Croatia. Croatia is tougher than Spain, it will be tiring and exhausting for Japs.

15. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Being the underdog worked out against Germany and Spain too so let the people write whatever they want, we profit!

16. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    For me THIS tiki-taka-useless Spain is plain dead in front of THIS astonishing Morocco.

Testator repped this.
  17. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    of course

18. _katsukun_

_katsukun_ Member

n/a
    Japan
    Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Such a collective performance, all the spirit that was gone against Costa Rica was there all of sudden in the 2nd half. Still can’t believe it. Check out the interview with Nagatomo (doesn’t matter if you don’t understand Japanese), it says it all. BRAVO!!

About the 2-1, I watched so many videos about the win in the meanwhile so I don’t remember which one it was… but there was a tv station that had a good pic of the correct angle (technically no angle), you could see the ball was just in. So valid goal.

And people talking about Spain not going 100%, give me a break. Maybe in the last few mins when it was clear Germany would win, but you’re not gonna tell me they didn’t go full force before, knowing that they could be eliminated (and were for a few mins) if they didn’t at least get a draw.

Japan won, simple as that. :cool:

BigDnm01, Kakeru, AKITOD and 2 others repped this.
  19. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I... I don't know what to say. Wow. This is one of the biggest upsets I have seen in my life. Not in my wildest dreams.

Incredibly, incredibly proud of the team.

Whispered11, BigDnm01, Kakeru and 3 others repped this.
  20. BIHfan

BIHfan Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 13, 2020
    A quarter-final finish for any Asian team is almost equivalent to getting third place or being a finalist, it would be an incredible step forward. Except South Korea in 2002, no Asian team has managed to go beyond the round of 16.

21. mushu21_2

mushu21_2 Member

Manchester United
    Vietnam
    Sep 1, 2018
    Just keep tight and don't lost focus, although beating both Germany and Spain is incredible.
    Croatia is an experience team and they don't have the pressure to dominate possession or attack against Japan. If anything, they will play like Costa Rica if they need to.

BigDnm01 repped this.
  22. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Some facts now that I cooled off:

> Itakura will miss Croatia. This means no 3CBs excpet if Tomi regain health or H.Ito play for 45-65' and then Tomi again;

> Endo/Tanaka. Who to pair with Morita? Endo is sure the starter but Tanaka overperformed. Maybe again Tanaka till he's exausted and then Endo;

> Kamada. It is beyond me how bad he was in the group stage with his team mates being at 150% most of time. We will see the real Kamada against Croatia? I hope so.

> Kubo. As Kamada. Moriyasu will keep using him to give Mitoma the chance to play with the opponents tired but he was really useless for the whole time, not a shot, not a possible assist, not a phisical o speed match won. Please you were the chosen one, the wonderkid, this is the World Cup, the bigger audience ever, show something worthy.

> Doan. As Honda in 2010, this is his special moment. Better to start him, he don't need tired opponents like Mitoma, give him 90' and profit before the time's up.

seolseol repped this.
  23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats guys! Here's some footage from the match inside and a lot outside of the stadium... the winning goal is around the 3.19 mark. Good luck against Croatia! I actually think you take them given your energy and they're kind of an aging squad but we'll see....

BigDnm01 and seolseol repped this.
  24. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kamada is a real dissapointment yes, good god. Been top this season, but now totally useless.

Endo should start if fit, also Tomi. But we dont know for sure, and maybe Moriyasu does not rate them enough?

Doan and Mitoma looked amazing when they come on.

Yoshida get alot of shite, but he did som crucial stuff tonight.

teioh, BigDnm01 and HTCONEM8 repped this.
  25. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They have until Monday to prepare. I hope everyone will be available and ready by then. :thumbsup:
    Croatia is not an easy opponent. I expect a close, cagey match.

I'm content with this achievement so far even if they bow out against Croatia, at least they finally have broken the Curse! :D

BigDnm01 repped this.