Official - 2022 roster moves and signings thread.

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 7, 2021.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Villafana is a decent back when healthy but he’s running on his last fumes. He’s only 32 but he’s got a lot of miles on him - this is his 15th season in MLS. We need a backup with expectations the backup may end up being our full time left back. Or else get a starting lb and keep Villafana as a backup, if Villafana is affordable as a backup.

2. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #177 The Beautiful Gamer, Dec 10, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    Based on all that I have read, it's still under investigation. The accuser said in an interview she was dating his brother and they were all at a party. She claims they were all smoking weed and she suddenly got uncomfortable and went to the bathroom. She says he followed her into the bathroom and harassed her. She says she is not out for money and that she just wants him in jail. He claims she is lying. It's really he said, she said but yeah,...still under investigation. I agree as well. I know innocent until proven guilty or not, how desperate are we that we aren't looking for a player with a little less controversy at the moment. I like Pavon and hope it is all a lie, but damn!

JPAR, skydog, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.
  3. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This I would be cool with as well.

4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kirov ski is the gift that keeps on giving. Why do I have such a problem with guys whose initials are JK

napper, skydog, Geneva and 5 others repped this.
  6. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #181 Benny Dargle, Dec 11, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    Looks like Zavaleta may be coming to the Galaxy as a backup presumably. Didn’t know he was Vanney’s nephew. Now we’re talking actual nepotism! I assume he would be cheaper than Steres and is similarly experienced in MLS. He only made $115k last year as opposed to almost $400K for Steres

(By the way, I called this possibility back on Dec. 1, but I just didn't know there was a family tie)

Berks, ProudNatRN, skydog and 5 others repped this.
  7. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think Villafena is a great option - but Vanney needs to rest him during the season. When he got hurt, I think he had played every game? Early in the season, Vanney needs to rotate, especially the veterans with lots of miles on the legs.

8. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

We have competition for Victor Mendez.

9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I still think this is a terrible idea. At 29 Zavaleta is hardly a kid and as a defender should be in his prime. However, that isn't what is career showed at TFC. He was a part time starter for TFC last year and his playing time has been going down year over year since 2017. He is not an offensive threat on set pieces having scored only 2 goals in his MLS career and none since 2017.

Meanwhile the Galaxy have DePuy (who seems to improving since the Galaxy switched him to a defender after acquiring him) and 2 young defenders: Ferkranus (18) and Neal (18). All three are in the same salary range or slightly lower than Zavaleta.

napper, JPAR, Geneva and 3 others repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    DePuy is irrelevant- we are talking about backups to DePuy. Are 18yo’s Ferkranus or Neal ready yet to step in and play at this level if called upon? If not then a 100k Zavaleta could be a good investment.

JPAR repped this.
  11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Houston reportedly the leader for Steres

The Beautiful Gamer, 73Bruin and hav77 repped this.
  12. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

Steres traded for peanuts and part of his salary still counts against the cap. It's a bad trade, and I wanted Steres to be gone.

Berks, TrickHog, 2in10 and 7 others repped this.
  13. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Vanney must have really wanted him gone. Another player no longer on our team that we are paying salary for - Klein is the gift that keeps on giving. Merry Christmas Pipo Gonzalez!

73Bruin, shelbo, MPNumber9 and 4 others repped this.
  14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    It depends upon how big a portion of his salary remains on the Galaxy cap. Another way of looking at it is they traded him for $200K of GAM or something like that. Not ideal, but if we can get a similar backup CB for $100K, then we freed up $100K of salary space.

The real problem was that his option was apparently triggered because of his playing time/stats this season. If it had not been, they could have just let him go. So, they were trying to make lemonade out of lemons by doing this.

15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I agree, the cap space is nice but another way of looking at it is we paid Houston to get a part of Steres salary of the books.

We did the same move to loan Pipo Gonzalez to Alajuelense. Steres is worth way more.

16. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Berks, 73Bruin, TrickHog and 5 others repped this.
  17. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    The real question is whether the Galaxy is better off spending $400K on Steres or spending some of that on a cheaper backup CB and using the rest on other players. The rumors are that Lletget has something like 5 teams interested in him and Steres had only one, even with Galaxy keeping some of his salary. So, he might be worth more, but not enough to interest other teams.

Now, do I think the Galaxy will use that $100K (or whatever it is; I just made up that number) wisely? Not sure. The record hasn't been great, but if Vanney isn't going to use Steres, then might as well let him get a player he trusts more.

18. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Zubak traded to Nashville for a 1st round pick. If we actually are scouting the college draft and planning on using some of those players, this is kind of a nice return for a player who wasn't in the plans much here.

19. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think these are half "courtesy" trades. Zubak has no future here so let him go to a team that might use him. Steres is a borderline starter at Houston but a #4 centerback for us. Let him get some playing time and if we can replace him and save $100k-$200k on the salary cap, it's good for us as well.

20. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    For anyone wondering about a Lletget trade, Steve Goff outlines one scenario that would explain why no announcement today

Berks, Geneva, 73Bruin and 9 others repped this.
  21. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification on Steres’ salary situation. I was appalled at first, thinking that we got squat and still have to partly pay for him.

Good luck to Dan, Ethan, and Da Boy.

TrickHog, 2in10 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  22. RAJ88

RAJ88 Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I get the hate towards Klein, but for me the culprit that needs to go first is technical director Jovan Kirovski. Our signings have been dreadful for years and it goes to scouting. The one constant from Onalfo, to Sigi, Dom, to GBS, and Vanney has been Jovan Kirovski as technical director and scout. There was hope when Sigi brought his son as a respected scout, yet Jovan has outlasted everyone with no improvement in homerun signings. We are still looking for a shutdown CB going on 5 years or so.

23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I’m not sure how Steres dropped so quickly in peoples eyes. Guess it is because MLS automatic raises make veterans too expensive. He was a very solid cb for us for long stretches and in some ways better than DePuy. In fact he was starting for us during our early season winning stretch and he certainly didn’t makeas many errors as Coulibaly. He had injuries this season and clearly Vanney wasn’t a fan but I’m shocked at the lack of interest by other teams. The truth is that he’s probably worth about 300k and could be a solid starter for a lot of teams. IMO.

24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They are equally culpable. Actually Klein more so because as President his job is to make sure he puts the right people in the right positions. And Kirovski has proven time after time thar he is not up to the task of being in charge of Galaxy scouting.

Remember when we signed a French DM who was out of a job, injured and absolutely awful? Not the Buffalo, the other guy?

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farewell to Daniel and Ethan. I wish them the best of luck except when they play us.

2in10, Berks, skydog and 4 others repped this.