Official - 2022 roster moves and signings thread.

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 7, 2021.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That’s a pretty eye/opening contrast. TBH I don’t think DTK did squat for us. I expected him to bring in a lot of gems but instead we got boat anchors. Within a month Vanney out scouted DTK’s entire tenure and it wasn’t close. IMO.

The Beautiful Gamer, JPAR and MPNumber9 repped this.
  2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    In terms of first team signings, you are right.

I think DTKs contribution was primarily focused on the fixing the damage to the academy program. The Galaxy spent a lot of money and until Araujo didn't get a whole lot of return. I have no certain knowledge of whether players like Uly Lianez, Alex Mendoza or Kobi Hernandez-Foster would have made the first team, or not, much less become major contributors. However, it looks like their careers were seriously damaged by their going to Europe. IMO, the Academy U-18 coach Brian Kleiban was justifiably fired by DTK.

I should have made this point earlier, but NE's getting 4 starters in 3 years of the draft is both incredibly impressive and quite an anomaly. Looking though the superdraft, I was somewhat surprised on how few players that were drafted in the first round actually made it to a first team roster and stayed there.

3. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Fire Klein!

4. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I can't do anything about your being thrilled or not, but I can confirm from the following sportingkc.com post that Sanchez is not under contract for 22. Transfermarkt reports the same data.

Sporting KC players under contract in 2022
    • Goalkeepers (2): Tim Melia, John Pulskamp
    • Defenders (5): Andreu Fontas, Nicolas Isimat-Mirin, Jaylin Lindsey, Kayden Pierre, Kaveh Rad
    • Midfielders (7): Ozzie Cisneros, Jake Davis, Cam Duke, Felipe Hernandez, Gadi Kinda, Jose Mauri, Remi Walter
    • Forwards (6): Grayson Barber, Tyler Freeman, Alan Pulido, Johnny Russell, Daniel Salloi, Khiry Shelton
    Since he is out of contract, Sanchez is free to sign anywhere in the world. If he stays in MLS and wants to stay in SKC, he can also do that (just like the Galaxy can resign Vasquez). Otherwise, I believe he is headed for the MLS reentry draft. There is no guarantee that he wouldn't be drafted by the 11 teams drafting ahead of the Galaxy.

mbar repped this.
  5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I was just saying that the report that he was negotiating with the galaxy at this moment (which implies mutual interest to me) may not be true.

of course he is free to go where he pleases.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Sorry, I misunderstood.

TrickHog and mbar repped this.
  7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A winger rumor.

do people thing Greg will do more 4-4-2 like he did at the end of the season or continue to try the 4-3-3 as our primary?

2in10, ProudNatRN, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe will depend if Chich stays? But if Vanney wouldn't do it for Chich, then not sure he'd be willing to change to a 4-4-2.

9. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Another winger in the 2021 version of the Galaxy wouldn't make sense. However, if we plan to switch to a two-striker formation with playing Cabral as a forward, Boyd could be a decent addition : young (26), American, doesn't need to go through the allocation order, and probably not a high salary (probably low TAM at most).

ProudNatRN, JPAR, MPNumber9 and 2 others repped this.
  10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s kinda what I was thinking. I’d like that approach.

The Beautiful Gamer and JPAR repped this.
  11. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Regarding Taylor Boyd: Per Transfermarkt, he is under contract to Besiktas until June of 2023 and is on loan to Caykur Rizespor until June of 2022. They claim his market value is $1.65mm which I don't see. Even a $400K transfer fee would seem too much for a right wing (hardly a current Galaxy position of need). On the other hand if the Galaxy were to move some combination of Grandsir, Lletget and Alvarez (all of whom are highly compensated), then perhaps this might make sense.

FWIW, did some time with the Portuguese club Vitoria de Guimaraes before he went to Besiktas. This reminds me of the nightmare signing that was Joao Pedro.

JPAR and mbar repped this.
  12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Some positives about Boyd is he would only be 27. He is also playing for the worst team in the turkish league so he likely wants out of there. When he playing for Sivasspor, he actually did well in the league. His only issue was some injuries, but he was a 1 in 3 scorer at RW.

He also can play LW or RW so some flexibility is good, and we really lack depth on the wings especially if we are looking to move Lletget. Doubt Boyd's salary would be high, so this could be a good signing.

JPAR repped this.
  13. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    This is pretty interesting. Munoz was here when a number of our young players were coming through the Academy and could be a potentially valuable bridge to the senior team in that sense.

14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Munoz was a coach for the Galaxy's Academy for multiple age groups before becoming the Academy Director and later GII coach, so he certainly has a lot of relevant experience. His wikipedia page shows a long relationship with Greg Vanney including being teammates on the Galaxy in 2008, working at the Real Salt Lake Arizona Academy and being one of the assistant coaches at Chivas USA. While at Chivas USA he was the U16 Coach.

Does anyone know if Munoz had any involvement with the Kleibans? I had unknowing assumed that he had some because he left (was fired per Kevin Baxer) sometime afterward and I thought DTK was cleaning house.

TrickHog repped this.
  15. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    That is correct. Munoz was fired as head coach of the GII team at the same time that the Galaxy brought in Ortega to run the Academy. They also fired three Academy coaches then. So, it was mostly a house cleaning. It was not necessarily connected to the firing of Kleiban, which took place earlier, except insofar as you think that DtK started the housecleaning of the Academy with Kleiban and continued with everyone else eventually. I mostly think that Kleiban was for a specific transgression (conflict of interest discouraging his brother's clients from signing with the Galaxy) and the rest because they wanted a fresh start with their guys.

That said, Munoz was at Chivas USA Academy at the same time as Kleiban, but Munoz left for the Galaxy first and Kleiban followed later.

Here's some context:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-07-19/galaxy-fire-usl-affiliate-coach-mike-munoz

16. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Consider me dubious on a number of levels, but since this a rumors thread, it seems appropriate to note that there are rumors about Pavon and the Galaxy again. Not sure how to interpret the translation either.

TrickHog, hav77 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  17. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably not true. The tweet itself says he is under contract until next June. So unless there is a deal to buy out his contract and make him a DP, I don't believe it.

2in10, TrickHog and 73Bruin repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Can we please get a player who hasn’t had sex assault charges filed against him?

2in10, shelbo, JPAR and 4 others repped this.
  19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Looks like the Munoz rumor was just a prelude to Junior Gonzalez. That would be too bad since he has done well, but with the move to MLS Next Pro in 2023, it could make sense for Gonzalez to move anyway. Either way, it looks like Vanney wants one of his guys.

hav77 and Neubill repped this.
  20. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    The rumors regarding Pávon are understandable.

All other clubs took a look at Pávon and looked elsewhere.
    Interest in Pávon is low.
    CABJ (Boca) have a player they'd like to sell before he leaves the club for free.
    We have an open DP spot.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  21. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I feel our offseason could go this way :

- switch to a 4-4-2 to get a partner to Chicharito (Cabral or Joveljic, no need to get another top striker).
    - sign Pavon as a DP for the left wing, and Boyd as a right winger to compete with Grandsir.
    - in a 4-4-2 with two new wingers, there is one guy who's the odd man out : Efrain Alvarez. We sell him to Mexico while he still has some value.
    - with the U22 spot open, we sign the DM from Chile we were linked to (Victor Mendez).
    - Lletget is traded to make room for Boyd and maybe get another defender (a LB?).

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Sounds like Bruce is bringing in all of his old Galaxy guys. Lletget joining Boateng and AJ

The Beautiful Gamer, shelbo and hav77 repped this.
  23. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's a great move for Lletget - we all know Bruce will get the best out of him. Once again we are 're-building'. I hope Vanney knows what he is doing.

24. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Zardes trade 2.0. I wish to Seba the same success.

25. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Just to update, Lletget's agent claims that the deal is not done and there are others who are interested.