Official: 2022 LA Galaxy II Season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LEM-LAG, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Dawdler repped this.
  2. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    No, he's on the bench. For whatever reason, Damet is switching Lopes and Sanchez one game after another. Because you know, why give minutes to a young and talented GK and let him build some momentum when you can play a 28 years old who got his chance in MLS years ago and didn't look good ? It's killing me.

Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  3. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    God that was awful. You can see why all these guys will never have an impact with the first team.

- Sanchez : bad game, very few big time saves, didn't make any against Colorado.
    - Lambe : so average on every part of the game.
    - Harvey : strong, technically gifted, but so many bonehead mistakes.
    - Doyle : not his worst game, but his passing off the back is not good. I also blame Damet for trying a style of play who doesn't suit his players, and the midfielders for not making enough effort.
    - Drack : probably his worst game for G2, his positioning was awful.
    - Barry : passing was off, not enough available in the midfield.
    - Davila : same for Taylor who looked not interested at all. Very disappointing.
    - Gonzalez : I've said it a hundred time, he's not a player who will make a 30 yards run with the ball and make a dangerous pass in the final third. That's how Damet is using him. Opposite teams don't defend on him because they know he's not effective.
    - Cabral : not sharp in the final third, very little vision.
    - Salazar : gifted, but hold the ball too long and no vision.
    - Dunbar : our best player and I still have a little bit of hope for him, but not consistent enough around the box.
    - Williams : no quality, just about speed.

Damet had the good idea to sub in Picazo and Johnson at the 82nd minute, both combined for a goal. Too bad it wasn't earlier. Well, I guess it wasn't that obvious that a real winger will be more effective than Gonzalez and that a midfielder who's sharp in the final third can help.

Callum Johnson is a player to watch for me, just 30 minutes of play this season after an injury but he looked skilled and interesting, and has already scored a goal. We'll see if nepotism is also a G2 thing because he's playing the spot where Cabral has played most of the season, and Damet seems to love his own Cabral.

4. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    405 Derby Time!
    [​IMG]

5. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Game against Orange County in a few minutes. Lineup :

No Sanchez, no Doyle, no Barry, no Salazar. No useless veterans. That's a good idea.

Dawdler, TrickHog and Benny Dargle repped this.
  6. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Poor starts to the second half, GK howlers, and much more. A 1-1 game at halftime goes bad, very quickly

Dawdler and LEM-LAG repped this.
  7. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    That was terrible, once again. Los Dos played a good first half of soccer, scored early and dominated OCSC, who scored on their lone opportunity thanks to an awful positioning from Drack. OC completely dismantled G2 in the second half, finding spaces from all over the backline.

Big positive from G2 : Jonathan Pérez started and was great, he had a beautiful assist and a solid goal, both from his wrong foot. He has looked too good for USL (two goals and three assists in two games this year !) despite not playing much for either the first or the second team, the difference between him and Dunbar for example is baffling. He has played just 8 MLS minutes this year and it looks a little bit unfair while our wingers have been struggling.

Less positive, but still : Gonzalez played as a box-to-box in a 4-4-2 so a more central position and looked OK, the first goal came right after he hustled to recover a ball in the midfield. Not a great performance but less useless than usual. Neal was OK despite the defense conceded five goals. I really want to see Callum Johnson starting, he looked a little bit light but his vision seems solid. He could be the playmaker we needed.

Lopez was anonymous and ridiculously spilled the ball on the third goal, Williams is raw as hell and Judd is tiring when he tries do dribble all the opposite defenders.

Doyle was suspended and Barry probably was too, let's see if we'll see them next Saturday against San Antonio, the best team in USL. We're currently 8th in the Western Conference, one place out of a playoff spot so not far away but the team above us have looked better and more consistent than us.

ProudNatRN, Dawdler and Benny Dargle repped this.
  8. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    1-1 draw at San Antonio, who's the leader in USL. Good result in itself, Los Dos played a very defensive lineup with seven defensive-minded players, and had (once again) maximal luck when a SA player was sent off, then Drack scored a free kick just before extratime. Unfortunately, Los Dos conceded a very late goal deep in stoppage time...

Lopez
    Lambe Harvey Doyle Neal Drack
    Saldana Campbell
    Pérez Dunbar Cabral​

It was the first time this season we used a five-man defense, and strategy was simple : play compact and try to catch SA on the counter. Pérez was once again our most dangerous player, capable to beat anyone with speed and dribble. Cabral was terrible, he has zero vision, he's good at sliding into spaces but with the ball at his feet, he barely makes something interesting.

Eric Lopez was once again clutch with many beautiful saves, but over the years he hasn't improved on his two weaknesses : his ball kicking (how many ended to the touchline yesterday?) and his inability to come off his line on set pieces, even if the ball is in his own six. Will he improve? I'm not sure anymore.

Saldana looked off and slow. Neal was solid, especially in his positionning. Over the last couple of weeks I've asked for more Callum Johnson and I stand my ground, but man he completely wasted a counterattack in stoppage time.

I think this is the end of Carlos Harvey's Galaxy career. OK game overall, but so many dangerous plays while trying to be too pretty, and so many violent fouls. His passivity (along with Doyle) on the SA goal cost us the match. I think he has reached his peak.

You know what's terrible? I think Los Dos is following the first team and will miss the playoffs by a thin margin.

Benny Dargle and Dawdler repped this.
  9. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Benny Dargle and Dawdler repped this.
  10. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    Why, why, why!? This is the most galaxy thing ever lol. Why not take a kid from the academy rather?

JDROD10 repped this.
  11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Am I missing something? The link doesn't appear to mention the Galaxy, although perhaps I missed it.

12. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Benny Dargle repped this.
  13. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dawdler, Benny Dargle and TrickHog repped this.
  14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    This move was expected, as both MLS and USL wanted the reserve squads out. The downside is that it drops the G2s from the second to third division. MLS Next Pro is not a U23 league or anything like that, although I do expect that we will play more of our younger prospects and will have fewer veteran signings like Liam Doyle and Michael Salazar. What makes it less like a traditional D3 league is that there's a clear pathway to the pro team, so the quality is better than USL League 1, even if some of the teams in USL1 would beat MLS Next Pro teams because of their experience and physical maturity. The big advantage of MLS having its own division is that the rules are completely set up to facilitate its role as a minor league for MLS, whereas USL had its own rules and was more focused on competitiveness within the league.

15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we’re aiming to play in the OC and to muscle out the USL team down there.

not a fan of bullying out our two us open cup opponents this season.

EPJr, Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  16. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    It does look that way, doesn't it? It's an interesting move, since the drop down from USL-C (D2) to MLS Next Pro (D3) should mean that we can have a 1000 seat stadium rather than 5000 seat stadium and therefore could use the Track and Field stadium at DHSP under US Soccer rules. I assume the Galaxy want to try to generate more fan interest by relocating to OC Great Park.

My guess is that the City can charge Galaxy more than the $195,015 it charged OCSC for priority use of the stadium and if AEG takes over operations and maintenance from the City, that could tip the balance in its favor. Plus, the 22 extra community games and more youth camps/clinics suggest the Galaxy are trying to bill this as better for kids in the area.

17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me while I go find my stack of “support local soccer” stickers the Galaxy sent me a few years ago.

clearly AEG has the resources to do what it wants. Not sure what the benefit to doing it actually is really.

is there any money behind OCSC ownership?

18. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dick move by the Galaxy, Southern California is huge, they can go anywhere, heck I think the San Gabriel Valley would be a good location if they don't want to have the team at the gigity, invading the OC to grow the brand is BS, you want to grow the brand, how about win some games, that usually helps grow a brand

19. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so I just saw this quote that was in an email sent to OCSC supporters, I guess they are a bit upset and taking unnecessary shots at the team when they should be upset with the Irvine city council, who is entertaining the offer from the Galaxy.

"The brazen effort of a big Club to crush a lower division Club and push us out of our stadium, especially a team like the LA Galaxy that in three short years has lost the City of Los Angeles to LAFC and has struggled to even make the playoffs, is a depressing shot across the bow to any smaller clubs outside MLS that achieve success and propose a different path for US Soccer."

20. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah ******** them then, lol.

I do feel for them but one thing that should be noted is this is amateur hour on the part of OCSC ownership to allow their lease to be at risk. Any business worth its salt would secure their home but instead they have been operating under a MOU that lets Irvine dump them for a better offer.

I think there is more to this story as to why Irvine is entertaining other offers. I’m guessing OCSC tried to lowball them in negotiations thinking they had the upper hand on the city.

ProudNatRN, TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  21. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    2-0 loss at Loudoun United yesterday. Los Dos, as the first team, lost to a bottom of the table team, and their playoffs race is becoming more and more difficult.

Lopez
    Lambe Campbell Doyle Neal Drack
    Gonzalez Davila
    Dunbar Williams Cabral

Lopez
    Lambe Neal Doyle Drack
    Campbell Davila
    Dunbar Gonzalez Cabral
    Williams​

Damet used two formations, a 5-2-3 in the first half who did OK. Loudoun defense left acres of space but Los Dos didn't take advantage of it, in particular because Williams wasted several key passes (game could have been way different with Judd up top).

In the second half, he used a more classic 4-2-3-1 on defense who became a strange 3-2-4-1 on attack with Lambe sliding to the CM position. Damet has used this tactic a lot this year, and I must say... I'm fed up with this. Lambe is average and brings nothing to the position, I can tolerate it, but by doing it, you push defensive midfielders like Gonzalez and Campbell very high where they bring literally nothing. Zero creativity. It can't work.

Worse yet, at some point in the second half he played Johnson and Davila as CMs (a 8 and a DM who's better suited for a box-to-box position), Cabral as a 10 (he's a second striker or a winger) and Gonzalez, a DM, as a striker ! It made no sense, I couldn't believe my eyes. I don't know if Damet knows what he's doing.

The team completely fell apart on a basic play on the first goal : Neal follows a runner, another opponent makes a run in the space which was occupied by Neal, and no Galaxy player follows him. Basic play but it's exactly what the first team doesn't do.

On the individual performances, the front three was terrible but Duhaney Williams must be one of the worst G2 players in history, and Neal was torched on the second goal. Callum Johnson might not save this team but he should get more playing time and should probably start.

22. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you for putting this all together, and at least to me it solidifies that Vanney is not the biggest issue. if your feeder team is just as clueless as the parent club is, its not fully on the coach but goes back to the FO, Klein, Krivoski and Stephens, I know he just started but it seems like he is a Klein is my buddy so I got this position hire.

this whole organization needs a cleansing that will never come, till they're sold by AEG

TrickHog repped this.
  23. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Open tryouts! Now's your chance to start getting in shape if you think you could do better than Remi Cabral and Michael Salazar!

Seriously, though, it's also probably one of the few times we actually scout players, instead of watching video sent to us by agents

TrickHog repped this.
  24. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    TrickHog repped this.
  25. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy