Official: 2022 LA Galaxy II Season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LEM-LAG, Dec 18, 2021.

1. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  2. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle looked like he was taking a stroll in the park on that first goal, I missed the second goal but an all around pathetic performance

on the bright-side we have Joe and Bryan on the call

3. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy get bailed out as the PK hits the crossbar, San Diego seems to be in control of the game

4. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judd gets his birthday goal and wow this ref really favored the G2's with that much extra time and PK at the end, I'd be livid if I was SD and was the game played behind closed doors or something, I didn't see any fans during the broadcast

TrickHog repped this.
  5. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I wasn’t there in person, but I think the fans were all on the side where the cameras were located, rather than where they were pointed.

As for the game, the Galaxy were fortunate, but from what I could see on the stream, they played better in the second half after being down 2-0 at half. It was not an unfair result from that perspective.

Dawdler and TrickHog repped this.
  6. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Credit to the boys who hustled and literally stole a point. They probably weren't the best team, but they never gave up. Judd was the ultimate symbol of this, he struggled for the whole game then scored on a solid header and fought to draw a PK.

Damet made some dumb decisions with his lineup and especially his midfield, as usual. Barry as a 6 doesn't cut it, Gonzalez is not a box-to-box, Cabral is invisible in the CAM position. As often, Los Dos didn't create anything and were run by San Diego. Davila, the only creative player in this roster who should be a no-brain starter, was subbed in at halftime, then Barry played a little bit higher allowing him to make a couple of penetrating runs, and Los Dos looked a little bit better (though Adrian Gonzalez as a right winger is completely dumb, if you search an equivalent it's like playing Dema Kovalenko as a winger...). Davila is probably the MOTM with his assist to Judd and his game-winning PK.

Los Dos could thank GK Eric Lopez who had a couple of fine saves to keep the match at 0-2 in the second half, including a PK missed by San Diego. Actually Lopez didn't make the stop but I think he has a solid record on PKs, and he's possibly the best keeper in the club at this.

Doyle has not been good lately, we should seriously consider a Neal - Ferkranus paring. I said a couple of times Cobian was a liability, but Draft pick Chandler Vaughn, who was back from injury, didn't look a lot better. If you think there is a little bit of favoritism between Kevin Cabral and Vanney, I tell you it's almost the same between Rémi Cabral and Damet.

Credit to Los Dos but a solid point should not make us forget that we looked bad once again.

skydog, Geneva and Dawdler repped this.
  7. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the info, it just looked so empty and I wasn't really hearing any fan chants or interactions so I was a bit curious.

the G2s were very fortunate to get the result that they did, as I felt the referee was very generous with his time allotment but hopefully they can build on the result and learn from it

8. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    One of the reasons USL wanted to put MLS2 teams in USL1 rather than USL Championship and MLS ultimately created MLSNext Pro (which the G2s will join next year) is because MLS teams really had little interest in marketing or drawing fans to their games. They used to use the track stadium and it’s 1000 seats and the crowd looked decent, but they had to bring in temporary stands to meet the requirement for D2 leagues to play in 5000 seat stadiums. I think they have been playing in Dignity Health Sports Park’s main field this season because they don’t want to pay for the temporary stands and they know they are moving to the D3 league MLSNext Pro (which only requires 1000 seat stadiums per US Soccer rules).

Dawdler, LEM-LAG and TrickHog repped this.
  9. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    I'm hoping the MLS Next Pro transition prompts the Galaxy to use their 2nd team for what it's supposed to be used for... bridge the gap between the Academy and 1st team. There's real quality in the U17's, I figure after the MLS Next season they have to start integrating these boys.

Soo many organizational issues, starts all the way at the top. I was always suspicious of the Yoann Damet hire, it's another client of this French agent that the Galaxy seem to be in bed with (Cabral Brothers, Ravelson, Coulibaly, Grandsir). Someone needs to really address that relationship.

10. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    Talent really hasn't declined, the pathway has. Everyone always mentions Alcala because it seems he's the only one that the average person knows from the academy.. Lopez, Tellez & Rodriguez are three midfielders (6, 8, 10) that are technically superior than most in G2 right now... There's absolutely no need to bring in guys like Hamza, Campbell, Harvey etc from outside. If you want to groom a young attacker with tons of raw talent that could be something in the future, move up Knighton (ST/W) and give him the minutes that a 29 year old Salazar or 25 year old Williams gets.

11. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haji Wright was another who bolted from our academy to Germany. It didn’t start out to well for him but he seems to be doing ok now.

TrickHog repped this.
  12. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    #112 LEM-LAG, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022

Game in half an hour at Rio Grande Valley FC.

Weird lineup "graphic". With Lambe out, it could be a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 with Gonzalez as a RB, or even a three-man defense.

Edit : strange thing, Lambe and Campbell are on the bench. Weird to start Gonzalez as a RB then.

Dawdler and Benny Dargle repped this.
  13. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Dawdler repped this.
  14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Geneva and Dawdler repped this.
  15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    First win of the year on the road for Los Dos, I would call it a "professionnal" performance against a low tier USL team who played a midweek game on the road.

Preston Judd was often selfish but his runs were dangerous and he scored a good goal. I can't ask for much. Picazo seemed to have regressed so much from last year (probably because of his injury), I understand why he's not playing much.

Davila started and it helped the whole balance of this team : Barry had a little more room to play forward, and Cabral was released from his duty to be a "creator" (which he can't), allowing him to play as a second striker who roams on the whole frontline. It's not great but that's probably the best we can get from Cabral.

Defense was OK, as often Neal was our best defender but didn't shine, Los Dos were a little bit lucky RGVFC attackers were not very sharp. Eric Lopez deserved a lot of credit for two amazing saves in the final minutes, and was my MOTM. Do you understand why I've been begging to give him more minutes for years?

Next game is next Saturday at home against Colorado.

Geneva, natfaninla, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  16. JDROD10

JDROD10 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 15, 2021
    The future is right here under our very own noses.

Campeones123 and TrickHog repped this.
  17. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

Game against Colorado in a few minutes. With Neal and Ferkranus with the U20 USMNT, Harvey is back in the lineup. Judd is probably suspended for yellow card accumulation.

TrickHog and Dawdler repped this.
  18. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    El Futbolisimo, TrickHog and natfaninla repped this.
  19. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think Damet got the tactics right but once again the lineup was wrong. He tried to be very direct and vertical, and with the speedy players we had up front, it was probably the best choice and it worked a few minutes in on Cabral's goal.

Los Dos created many opportunities but the gap in talent between the two frontlines was unfortunately too big. Duhaney Williams was inconsistent despite a good assist, Cameron Dunbar's finishing was absolutely horrid (he should have had one or two goals), and Rémi Cabral, despite a fairly good game, is not elite in the final third.

Felipe Cobian looked lost once again, the season is rough for the youngster but Drack is coming back. Same problems as always otherwise : Liam Doyle is an OK USL player but I'm not sure giving his minutes to him over Ferkranus is a good idea (Ferkranus and Neal are with the U20 USMNT so we'll see when they'll come back), Adrian Gonzalez is lost and almost useless in this box-to-box position, and Hamza Barry is definitely not a DM, but I'm wondering if there is an agreement to play him over and over until he has a chance with the first team (it won't happen) or somewhere else.

Los Dos are 11th out of 13 in the Western Conference, with a must-win game at home against Monterey Bay FC, the last place team, on Wednesday.

20. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Dawdler repped this.
  21. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Dawdler repped this.
  22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    LEM-LAG, natfaninla and TrickHog repped this.
  23. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Well, it was a victory against the worst team in the Conference. Judd was on fire, when he's on he's way too good for USL. Hamza Barry was very good as a box-to-box midfielder, with two assists on the night and constanty advancing the ball between the lines.

Fortunately both Judd and Barry played well because Dunbar and Cabral were not sharp in the final third, and Williams is raw. Duhaney is an average USL player who's probably gonna improve a little bit but I don't see how he can contribute to the first team.

Defense was a little bit shaky (and Eric Lopez could have done better on both goals), it's not normal to concede two goals against a team who looked so inoffensive. Good to see Drack back from injury, but you can see he's still learning the position and it might not be enough for the first team.

Not a lot of rest for Los Dos who are going to Sacramento on Saturday, a couple of days before the first team plays them in the USOC.

mbar, ProudNatRN, Benny Dargle and 2 others repped this.
  24. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Dawdler repped this.
  25. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just tuned into the game and the Sacramento announcers mentioned that Cabral missed two golden opportunities and from their tone he should have scored, did he really miss shots that anyone else should have scored