Official 2021 Samurai Blue thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Whispered11, Feb 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Moriyasu was supposedly the best by-product of the J-League to become the head coach of the National Team, but look at where this is going now despite a 71.05% win rate in 40 matches at the helm. Nishino had plenty of ups and downs in his J-League coaching career. How can you even expect a better outcome with a Japanese manager if we can't even get something out of those two?

I have grown totally disgruntled with Moriyasu's work for the men's team and Takakura's work for the women's team. So I will not apologize for my current distrust towards Japanese managers, which has been building up for the last 5 years. Those are 2 monster disaster appointments that have undone everything the JFA have built over the last 2 decades.

What is the point of having a supposedly unique footballing culture if it is ill-adapted to compete against the very best teams in the world? If there is one thing I find naïve right now, it's the entire state of affairs within Japanese football. The absolute arrogance from the JFA through Moriyasu and Takakura in recent years is the reason why both Japanese senior national teams are hot messes in a dumpster fire right now.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    It's funny that you mention China because what they are doing right now should serve as a warning about what hubris can do if Japan falls into the same trap.

2. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think Moriyasu should go but I have no idea why you're having a swipe at Nishino. I'd take him back to NT in a second.

3. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    His managerial record post-Gamba Osaka (2012-present) is genuinely lackluster TBH. It has been very difficult for him to earn wins out of any of his 5 following jobs starting with Vissel Kobe (long before they became what they are now).

4. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I couldn't care less, don't go disrespecting managers who coached strong World Cup performances.

And frankly we've broadly not done well with foreign managers at the highest level as far back as the 80's.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  5. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    There is a huge difference between Nishino and Moriyasu.

Moriyasu just jumped into a ready system at Sanfreece, which was built by Mihailo Petrovic. All what he had to do then was to strengthen the team defensively, as the attacking system built by Petrovic was among the strongest in the league but the team was lacking defensively (as it is/was the case with any Petrovic-managed team).

However, just after the fourth year the team began to struggle, and Moriyasu run out of solutions and he was forced out of the team.

So, Moriyasu is an ultra-defensive coach, who only had a short-term success.

Nishino is Moriyasu's antithesis. He proved to be successful in the long-term. His first season at Kashiwa was not successful, but his next seasons were a huge success, he lifted the team from being a mid-table team to a title-challenger, while playing an ultra-attcking and attracting football.

At Gamba Osaka, Nishino began to deliver more consistent results by his third season, and he lasted there for a decade in which he challenged for every title domestically and continentally, and won all of these titles at least once during his tenure.

Now, you cannot draw any conclusion based on his Vissel Kobe experience. He did not even lasted for a full season, and the team was already sinking. As for Nagoya, the team was struggling and sinking as well, he managed to make them finish at mid-table, which was not satisfactory for both parties, however, the team was relegated one season after he left (which can tell how Nishino did well in the previous two seasons).

In the end, never judge a book by its cover and resort to stereotypes. Football is a world in itself, full of complexities and intricacies. There are excellent, very good, good, average, and poor coaches in Japan, as it is the case everywhere in the World.

Japanese football is well-established, its improvement trajectory is phenomenonal. It has a very strong infrastructure, culture, and philosophy. No way it can be compared to China, Qatar, or Saudi Arabia for example.

Recently, foreign coaches were worse than Japanese coaches in the J-League and the ACL. This is because Japanese coaches understand Japanese football better than foreigner and knows better how to deal and manage Japanese players. This is why there are more Japanese coaches in the J-League than foreigners.

Even Vissel Kobe had no option but to hire a Japanese after the continuous disappointing results from foreign coaches. Kasima Antlers as well, who are traditionally always hire Brazilians to coach the team began to hire Japanese coaches recently, due to Brazilian coaches failure to meet expectations.

marten48 repped this.
  6. Kanarienvogel

Kanarienvogel Member

Nov 15, 2019
    Foreign coach or Japanese coach is irrelevant, what you want, is a guy with recent J-League experience. Especially in case Moriyasu gets indeed fired either after Tuesday or after the November games. But ideally even after the WC for the next cycle.

Anyway, Tuesday first:
    Memo to Moriyasu:
    - Don't play Asano. Under any circumstances. If necessary play Tani as a field player.
    - Don't play Minamino on the wing. He loses most of what makes him good there.

Looking forward to how Moriyasu will react now, what the line up will be.
    Ito on the right seems the only sure thing in the offensive part, rest...
    One problem remains the Osako-Minamino-Kamada thing, if you want to play all 3, 1 of them ends up on the left wing. None of them should really be there. Kamada the least catastrophic there, so if he goes with his guys, Minamino middle, Kamada left the way to go.
    Other possibilities is Osako out, Furuhashi or Minamino up front. Kamada out, Furuhashi or Haraguchi in. Minamino out, Furuhashi in.

I probably would go for a little revolution.
    Minamino up front, he has the scoring gene, not the size, but I take the gene.
    Haraguchi on the right. Simply the better player than Ito. And it's not even close actually.
    Shibasaki in the middle. Pull him forward, put in Morita-Endo in the back, try him here. Again, you need somebody who can distribute, do the surprising pass, or the good dribbling on the field, just a bunch of sprinters doesn't do it. Shibasaki's passing IMO is too unique in the guys in the squad to dump him right now.
    Kamada or Nagatomo on the left. Kamada not perfect, as an alternative put Nakayama as left back and have Nagatomo further up.

7. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No matter who's gonna be the manager, just bring back the old JNT attractive offensive football that I fell in love with since the 2000's.

8. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. What wonderful football they played. I remember liking it alot under Osim for instance.

Drew1404 repped this.
  9. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    it's clear! i remember the good offensive soccer they offered, one of which comes to mind against the french team in the 2000s. the players were less talented than those of today and yet they had a much more attractive soccer. I hope that Moriyasu, will propose us an offensive soccer without the risk to lose and to see our chances to qualify decreasing...

Kakeru repped this.
  10. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes , Osako starts as FW again.
    Nagatomo and Sakai as well. Old man Japanese nt!

11. gamban98

gamban98 Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Moriyasu was crying during the national anthem. :ROFLMAO:

12. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Something reeks politics within the JFA. Otherwise, there's no way anybody with a brain would start them on a football pitch. We have seen that with US Soccer preferring MLS players over European-based players.

Why not bring Shunsuke Nakamura out ot international football while we're at it? He's sporadically featuring for Yokohama FC at age 43 these days, lol.

13. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Osako still unable to hit the widest door of a barn on a farm again.

Cue the stuff said to Gavin Harris in the Goal! movies... You're shite.

14. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    a link please !

15. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Watch your profile if not done so already. Link's there.

16. morimotomania93

Japan
    Jan 22, 2019
    thanks! I feel like I'll be watching the 2nd half stressing.

17. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    These back passes to the GK are really killing it for me. Why insist on putting yourself in dangerous situations? ugh.

Oh, and I wish I could know what is written on that memo Moriyasu holds, looks like a grocery list to me :ROFLMAO:

Samurai Warrior, Testator and Kakeru repped this.
  18. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Right. GTFOH, Osako.

Glad to see Kyogo coming on with a full 30 to make his mark.

19. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Must put this match to bed with another goal. Come on guys!

20. Kajisan

Kajisan Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Ito's aggressiveness and speed was sorely missed last game

Dax, Samurai Warrior and Kakeru repped this.
  21. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Oh, come on!
    Where the f*** was Nagatomo?!

22. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    OK, it took the VAR guy to finally tell that idiot referee that it is NOT a penalty.

23. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Either way it's a goal. smh. Oh and we really missed these kind of goals with Japan, none in the current roster can utilize FKs like the olden days.

Kakeru repped this.
  24. NaohiroTakahara

NaohiroTakahara Member+

Nov 12, 2013
  25. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's a really sick joke to miss this kind of oppportunities.