Official: 2021 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 5, 2020.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Works for me!

Honestly I can't believe we are getting Joveljic. What kind of salary cap black magic is this?

I hope he is as good as his resume implies. Barring an undisclosed injury there is no reason to believe he won't score a very solid 0.5-0.6 goals/game. That may not sound like a lot but it adds up to 17-20 goals per 34 game season.

2in10, ProudNatRN, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This ^^^.

ShortyMac, 2in10, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you'd probably have to cross-reference key passes and xG to see the real story. For instance, Chicago and Minnesota are in the top 5 in key passes this season, but they don't score. New England is number 3 which makes some sense, given they have the best playmaker in the league and are leading the league in goals. My guess is the difference between those teams is the caliber of chances or scorers.

The Galaxy are fairly average in overall key passes this season, closer to the bottom than near the top, hovering near teams like Houston, Orlando and Cincinnati. Without knowing our aggregate xG, though, it's hard to know exactly what that means for us...but I'd probably prefer we were at least in the upper 3rd given we are a team that holds lots of possession. Vasquez is the Galaxy player with most key passes (by a solid margin) and while he's fairly average in total KP for MLS playmakers, his assist / 90 is actually pretty good. We also don't project Vasquez as a starter in our full-strength line-up though. Or Kjlestan (2nd in key passes on the team).

2in10, 73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've actually become more positive in my assessment of Grandsir. He can't score a lick - something I predicted at the beginning of the season.* But early on he also was ineffective at all parts of the game; he would just try a few failed 1v1's per game. But starting a few games ago he has been taking over the midfield. Unlike Cabral, Grandsir has greatly increased his activity level (an important trait that doesn't jump out on a stat sheet) and has become more aggressive/proactive in his play. In many recent games he has been our most effective player at advancing the ball up the field - something we sometimes struggle with. He has been getting to the end line and his crosses have also become better. And his passing in general has improved - he has generally been tidy with the ball.

His game against Dallas wasn't as good as his other recent games but overall I'm fine with him on the field. His lack of scoring and assists is an issue but he's pretty much making up for it with the rest of his play. Especially considering the alternatives on the bench.

*You see I'm brilliant - I can read Wikipedia and actually believe past performance over several seasons tells us something. (/s)

2in10, NilamCA, 73Bruin and 6 others repped this.
  5. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically, I feel this is a very workman-like team the likes of which we could've used in the last few games. Lletget and Jonathan will hustle and provide more stability than Sacha and Vasquez, but are less creative (though Jonathan seems in the mood to add goals from his position). But you can plug in more finesse options (Sacha, Vasquez, Efra)

2in10, ProudNatRN, 73Bruin and 4 others repped this.
  6. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Grandsir has looked much better - willing to dribble past guys, and willing to work for those 50/50 balls. With Cheech and JoJo up front, those efforts should start to pay dividends.

2in10, skydog, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  7. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    TBH, I'd take out Jona and insert eithet Vasquez or Efrain there for more playmaking out of the central mid position. However, I haven't seen enough of Raveloson to know how effective he is as a lone d-mid.

2in10 and TrickHog repped this.
  8. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know how we roll lol. They hate us cause they ain't us!!

Just smile and tell them its cause we are the G's!!!

9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be wrong, but I think the only reason this might work is that:

1. We signed a "Young DP" (Cabral) instead of a full DP.
    2. Joveljic is Under-22.

So it's almost like our FO has a plan to maximize signing quality impact players rather than just someone famous that hamstrings our ability to field a competitive team.

Crazy, right?!?

Berks, ShortyMac, 2in10 and 9 others repped this.
  10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think, for example, if we had signed Pavon instead of Cabral then we'd only have one of those U22 slots which would mean only one long term contract extenstion for Araujo or Alvarez and no Jovelic. (and no Cabral).

I prefer it the way we're doing it if only for depth and the security of not losing our young guys for nothing.

Berks, 2in10, footballfantatic and 8 others repped this.
  11. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't know if the Galaxy will finalize the signing of Joveljic or not, but the salary cap black magic is the U-22 rule that I have been posting about in this thread since at least Feb. 8 of this year.

12. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    While I agree with everything you have posted, it should also be said that Pavon, whether still hampered by his ankle or his legal issues, appears to be a shadow of the player he was with the Galaxy or in his previous stint at Boca. So far in 2021 he has 0 goals and only 1 assist in 736 minutes over 12 starts for Boca. This is actually worse than Cabral with 1g and 1a in 847 minutes over 11 starts. Not to mention that the Galaxy did not have to deal with the charge against him.

shelbo, 2in10, footballfantatic and 4 others repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sorry - the rules have become so complex I gave up and depend on people like you to keep up. I personally just skim over the excellent detailed explanations you and others provide. I knew we got one U-22 dp (Cabral) without much cap hit and just assumed our “expensive in real life but cap cheap u-22” allotment was used up.

14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the deal is that if one of your DP's is a Young DP, then you are awarded 2 additional U-22 spots.

shelbo, 2in10, footballfantatic and 3 others repped this.
  15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'll say this: both this U-22 business and our lack of striker depth totally flew under the radar. Which is strange, cause we normally have some pretty informed posters around here that catch on to such things. Just odd that nobody pointed it out, y'know? Guess we dropped the ball.

shelbo, 73Bruin, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  16. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

Honduran defensive midfielder Gerson Chavez (21) is loaned to G2 until the end of the year, with an option to buy.

Well, technically it's a G2 signing, but reports from Honduras are saying he will train with the first team. It looks a lot like the Carlos Harvey move.

17. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm loving our new approach! This is a completely different team and I'm genuinely excited about the G's after a few years of disgust (Our D was just despicable and that's the FO's fault).

TrickHog, 2in10 and JPAR repped this.
  18. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll post this again since it really needs to be:
    U22 Initiative Roster Slots
    Number of Slots:

Each MLS team will have up to three U22 Initiative Slots that will each occupy one of the 20 existing Senior Roster Slots. The number of U22 Initiative Slots available to each team will be based on that team’s use of its third Designated Player slot.

If a Club has a vacant third Designated Player slot, the Club will have available three U22 Initiative Slots.

If a Club elects to sign a third Designated Player, the number of U22 Initiative Slots would be impacted in the following way:

• If the third Designated Player is a Young Designated Player, the club will have all three U22 Initiative Slots.
    • If the third Designated Player is age 24 or older, yet is at, or below, Maximum Targeted Allocation Money Amount ($1,612,500), the club will have all three U22 Initiative Slots.
    • If the third Designated Player is age 24 or older and is above Maximum Targeted Allocation Money Amount ($1,612,500), the club will have one U22 Initiative Slot.

ProudNatRN, TrickHog, hav77 and 7 others repped this.
  19. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Gs are able to pull off this deal for Joveljic, it could be a huge coup. Looking at Joveljic's stats from 2020 scoring 20 goals in 46 games for Wolfsberger AC for Austrian Bundesliga is any indication he could be the second striker that the Gs have always lacked.

20. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting this again.
    That is a whole lot of lawyering up to make go arounds of league cap policy.

TrickHog, 73Bruin, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's go!

If only the visa process didn't take forrrrrrrrever. We could use him, like, immediately.

2in10, Berks, Beep Boop Robot and 9 others repped this.
  22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, I was being a bit facetious here; both skydog and 73Bruin did a pretty good job of bringing these up before. Like a lot. :p

2in10, shelbo, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, like 273 times is a lot?? Sheesh...

24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Quit bringing facts into this MP9 -- I have a narrative to tell based on the game or two I remember and you are spoiling it!

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this signing goes through, addresses our last big need. Then we just need to stay healthy!!!