Official: 2021 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 5, 2020.

1. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    https://www.mozzartsport.com/fudbal...i-bonuse-potpisuje-petogodisnji-ugovor/393771

According to reports from Serbia, we're signing 21 years old striker Dejan Joveljic from Frankfurt. A little bit more than 4M$, five year contract. Probably U22 player.

20 goals all competitions last year in Austria with Wolfsberger (on loan). Made his debut with the Serbian national team in June. Nearly signed with Saint-Etienne in the French Ligue 1.

I don't know how it will work with international spots though.

ShortyMac, 2in10, LenPa and 13 others repped this.
  2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fits our most desperate need and fits within the roster spots we have left to use (U22 exemption) so while I don't know the player, I like the thinking behind it...

2in10, hav77, shelbo and 4 others repped this.
  3. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Sounds like someone to play with Chicharito rather than as a backup.

Presumably, we will get rid of Gonzalez to open up an int'l slot or, if there are no takers, we'll buy a spot. They already loaned Harvey to GII when they signed Raveloson.

4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the right kind of player.

Eastern European huh? Someone scan his and his wife/girlfriends social media posts before we sign him please.

ShortyMac, 2in10, FlapJack and 9 others repped this.
  5. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy! :ROFLMAO:

2in10 and mbar repped this.
  6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #1206 Skevin, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Jeez this has happened really fast. LA Galaxy rumor mill is saying he already signed a 5 year deal, but yea I am also a bit confused on how... We don't have an international spot. We can buy one for roughly 250K Gam since that is how much it was going for, but do we still have cap space? I guess we could do a back loaded contract. Basically assuming he gets $1million a season to play for us, but since it's already almost august, he'd only get 1/3rd of that aka $333k which would be doable.

I don't even know if that's allowed. Or offer to pay him basically nothing for 2021, but next year his contract goes to 1.49 million to stay under the DP threshold if that even matters.

Basically me trying to explain to my Austin FC friends how we can afford another $5 million dollar striker when they are signing some random cheap players.

[​IMG]

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hearing some reports that say this is far from a "done" deal and just that the Galaxy are interested. Seems that for sure we would need to find a way to unload Pipo to get the cap space and international roster spot - so that might be why it's far from done as other things have to be worked out....

2in10, hav77, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  8. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be patient. They're new to MLS and don't understand that the Galaxy initiates rule changes.

(According to the rest of the league's fans.)

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s all about Pipo’s departure. He hasn’t played a minute this year for a reason.

2in10, JPAR, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

google translate says our target is held out due to negotiations with another club.

ShortyMac, 2in10, LenPa and 1 other person repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Greg Vanney can flip Pipo for a U 22 player who might be good for 15-20 goals a year— that’s coach of the year material right there

ShortyMac, 2in10, Skevin and 8 others repped this.
  12. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Report: Joveljic joins LA Galaxy - Deal with Eintracht Frankfurt in place

In the summer of 2019, Eintracht Frankfurt paid €4 million for Dejan Joveljić. The striker was seen as the natural successor of Luka Jović, who had left the club for Real Madrid that summer. But Joveljić never fulfilled the high expectations placed on him and now wants to leave the club for Major League Soccer club Los Angeles Galaxy. The financial damage for Eintracht Frankfurt, however, is minimal thanks to Joveljić's brilliant loan season in Austria.

Well-informed Serbian sports portal Mozzartsport reported the potential transfer to the Los Angeles Galaxy on Friday. The Galaxy are expected to pay €3.5 million, plus bonuses. Including bonuses, Frankfurt will earn the €4 million the Bundesliga club paid for the striker two years ago.

It would be a fantastic deal for director of sport Markus Krösche. Frankfurt, however, did very little to improve Joveljić's market value. The 21-year-old managed just one goal in ten appearances across all competitions for the Eagles. Instead, it was his performances while on loan with Wolfsberger AC that has caught the eyes of other clubs. In 46 games for the Austrian Bundesliga club, Joveljic managed 20 goals and increased his market value to €4 million.

Update Jul. 24: Eintracht Frankfurt have confirmed that Joveljić is currently negotiating a transfer with another club. The striker missed the pre-season-friendly Strasbourg to negotiate a potential transfer.

AS Saint-Étienne also interested - Higher salary in Los Angeles

AS Saint-Étienne were also interested. The Ligue 1 club offered a yearly salary of €600,000, which is significantly above what Joveljić earns in Frankfurt. But Joveljić has already signed a five-year contract in America—for less than what the Ligue 1 club offered. Once completed, Joveljić will become one of the ten most expensive signings in Galaxy history.

ShortyMac, 2in10, skydog and 7 others repped this.
  13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, money moves.

2in10, skydog, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This is great news. These last 3 games have shown that we really need a good back up because I am not sure if Chicharito can play even half the season at this point.

2in10, skydog, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Absolutely incredible news. The acquisition of a much needed 2nd goal scorer (1st goalscorer if Chich doesn’t get and stay healthy) plus the return of our best players, has a very good chance of turning our season around.*

In 2020-21 Dejan scored 18 goals in 34 games for Wolfsberg (think Seattle quality) in the Austrian Bundesliga (think MLS, except with Tottenham… err… Salzburg at the top). He’s a another young player with a bright future - a 22 yo 6’0 striker who is good in the air and a poacher who finishes with both feet. He’s not an assist guy (only 4 in those 34 games) but he should be perfect for finishing all those key passes we are creating.

Btw he’s already had a couple appearance with the Serbian national team.

Personally -according to Wikipedia - he’s a nerd who likes billiards, chess and has solved a Rubik’s cube in 39 seconds. :)

When Chich gets healthy I assume we will go to a 4-4-2, Cabral will likely go to the bench and we will finally become a true top tier, MLS Cup contending team that no one wants to face.

*And yes, our season does need turning around. We aren’t as bad as our negative 3 goal differential implies, but neither have we been nearly as good as our 3rd place standing suggests.

2in10, ProudNatRN, Beirut and 2 others repped this.
  17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of this.

We desperately needed:

1. Keeper. Bond, check.
    2. Good center backs - Williams, check. Sega, double check.
    3. Stud D-Mid - Raveleson, big triple check.
    4. Second forward - This looks like it will check that box very nicely.

If this happens and we can just stay moderately healthy, I feel like we have a chance to do some damage this season.

ShortyMac, 2in10, JPAR and 7 others repped this.
  18. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I see a few Galaxy supporters anticipating we'll go with a two-striker formation when Joveljic will be there. I agree, but it may be with a 3-5-2, not a 4-4-2. Here is why :

- Cabral has been a disappointment, it's less the case for Grandsir but he hasn't been effective either. They are not automatic starters.
    - it's a system he used a lot in Toronto (with Vazquez behind Giovinco and Altidore).
    - during the last couple of games Vanney subbed in a defender (Steres or DePuy) and we ended with a three-man defense.

Well, I like this lineup more than a flat 4-4-2 :

Joveljic Chicharito
    Lletget
    Villafana Jona Raveloson Araujo
    Williams Coulibaly Steres
    Bond​

19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    You’re saying we’re getting a young Harry Kane!? /s

20. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My changes.

2in10 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oh, he’s much better. Pele is probably a fair comp. Or think Messi, but more skilled.

ShortyMac, 2in10, JPAR and 4 others repped this.
  22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi, but with more upside.

23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the obvious need, but I was wondering how we'd fit another quality striker in. Like literally wondering -- I don't really understand all the new rules, but normally signing a U-22 with a 20+ goal season would be out of our price range. Very nice signing.

He doesn't replace Cabral however, or more accurately the playmaking that Cabral is supposed to provide. Right now, Grandsir is actually leading the team in assists, but I still feel like we still need a 10-assist / season guy.

2in10, footballfantatic and TrickHog repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #1224 skydog, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    We’ve actually been creating scoring opportunities- our problem is we can’t finish them. Vazquez is a great assist guy and Villafana has some good assist totals in the past but hard to get an assist when you pass to guys who can’t shoot.

edit: just saw your post about exp goals being low. Good point. But we have had a lot of “key passes” which are supposedly scoring chances. I’m guessing you get no credit for mls’s “expected goals” unless you get a shot off and that probably explains the difference.
    My eyes say we are creating chances but I also didn’t watch the VAN game where I take it we really sucked.

2in10, LenPa, MPNumber9 and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    upload_2021-7-27_11-6-51.png

I think this is the line-up we will be looking at using when everyone is fit. It's pretty balanced. Midfield is very solid, and gives us Cabral off the bench. Plus now if Chicharito gets hurt, we can just transition this to a 4-2-3-1 with Cabral out wide and Lletget at the #10 spot.

LenPa, Neubill, ShortyMac and 9 others repped this.