Official: 2021 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 5, 2020.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see Gio’s agent has a side-hustle as a sports journalist.

Berks, JPAR, Beirut and 1 other person repped this.
  2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we signed Modric' he'd be arguably the best player we ever had. On titles alone, he's in a different ballpark from anyone, including Zlatan: 1 Ballon D'or, 1 WC Golden Ball, 2nd place in WC and 4 UCL titles :eek:. I have no idea what his form is like, but I like this rumor much more than the Ozil one.

ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time a legendary player is linked to us, at this point, I get annoyed. Those types of signings are to be made to add to an already good team. Not any other time. If we want to win anything we need a competent team made up of non DPs. Then we get the right star to put us over the top. I

2in10, MPNumber9, The Cadaver and 6 others repped this.
  4. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Me too. I’m not sure he’s the right choice given all things covered here, but definitely better than Ozil.

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I agree that Modric would be a better signing than Ozil. However, this is more a question of how to build the best Galaxy squad for 2021 with the following probable constraints:

1) Chicharito (33 in June) and JDS (31 in April) will fill 2 of the 3 DP slots, neither are reliable from a health perspective.
    2) Pavon is probably gone, leaving 1 available DP slot
    3) Yony is probably gone as well, leaving Seb as the only player with significant experience as an effective wing.
    4) Kitchen is probably gone, leaving the Galaxy with a problem at D-mid, regardless of anyone's opinion about Kitchen.

I don't think that there are the right circumstances to bring in an aging attacking midfielder like Modric ,especially for a half season. Yes, he makes Chicharito better when they both are on the field, but with an August start will it be enough for the Galaxy to make the playoffs.

As much as have questioned his heart, I that it's time to really challenge Efrain to see if he can step up as the Galaxy attacking mid of the future. Use the DP slot to resign or replace Pavon or sign a dominant D-mid.

6. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article referenced is one of the worst researched and conceived pieces EVER "written." What a bunch of mierda del toro. AEG just paid the lazy little mierda del cabesa millions of dollars to get scarce. Now they're going to bring him back?

7. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just noticed that CJ Sapong is out of contract. I know hes getting along in years, but his track record is pretty good. He could be a decent option as a backup for Chich or to provide a good 2nd striker option when the opponent is susceptable to that kind of a formation.

TrickHog and MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Sapong is a great shout honestly. He can play anywhere up top, and he has been averaging a goal in every 1.5 games which is really good. We really need that type of depth.

TrickHog repped this.
  9. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I was thinking about him too. 32 at the end of the year, proven goal scorer in this League, he's a free agent. He can play anywhere up top but is way better as a center forward. He should be good depth.

TrickHog repped this.
  10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think Chicharito's your "star" either way; he's the guy we're clearly hand-cuffed into building around, by hook or crook. Bringing in Modric -- who will bring cohesion to midfield and be the best playmaker in MLS, two areas we desperately need help -- makes sense given we've already committed to Chicharito. I mean, we're shopping for that position anyway.

I mean, I think it's a longshot, but if there's any chance LA could pull this off, I'd do it. Modric also would be very different from Zlatan in that he's a quiet personality; he's not going to bring a media storm or sell a ton of shirts. The only real question for me are his legs vs. MLS.

El Futbolisimo, mbar, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  11. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether we sign Modric' or not, I don't think I'd gamble on Efra stepping up to be a best-in-MLS amid by next year. I also think we can probably find a good 'nuff DM for TAM, really.

12. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I love Modric. Named my son after him actually!

I would absolutely love to see him here. I love the way he dictates the game for whatever team he plays in. He can pass, score, break up plays, dictate tempo, etc. He would also provide tremendous leadership in the locker room, which I think is missing.

However, his legs have a lot of mileage on them. Between advancing far year after year in the CL, Croatia’s World Cup run, how much can he still give?

On the other hand, we just watched Perry Kitchen play midfield for us, so beggars can’t be choosers :p

Berks, shelbo, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  13. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he would be a huge step up from Kitchen, so that alone would be a positive.

TrickHog repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In 2020 Sapong had 2 goals, 0 assists in 472 minutes (4 starts plus 7 sub appearances). He was an unused sub in 12 games and didn't get off the bench in their final five games. CHI obviously didn't rate Sapong this season and his offensive production of 0.38g and 0a per 90min didn't change their minds. Possibly they grossly undervalued him. More likely, he is no longer the player he was.

We need to do better than Sapong, even as depth.

15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If that is our criteria -- I'm available!

ShortyMac, Berks, El Futbolisimo and 5 others repped this.
  16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    skydog, El Futbolisimo, 73Bruin and 4 others repped this.
  17. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't have those kind of expectations for Efrain next year. I said that the objective for next year is "to see if he can step up as the Galaxy attacking mid of the future". There is a world of difference between this and being the best in MLS. I am much more pessimistic than you are about the Galaxy's chances for next year, even with Modric. I don't see the Galaxy as being able to fill all of the roster holes before next season. I am especially doubtful about Chicarito being able to carry the Galaxy by himself.

JPAR, MPNumber9, The Cadaver and 2 others repped this.
  18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    So I really don't know what happened with him this season, but he was pretty bad during the covid cup although a lot of players were. Then for whatever reason, he didn't get many minutes for the regular season. Still he managed a goal every 140 minutes during the regular season mostly as a sub as well.

But going back to 2019, he scored 13 goals. He also played the following spots:

11 times at striker with 7 goals scored
    11 times at LW with 3 goals scored
    6 times at RW with 3 goal scored

So basically he can play anywhere across the front line and still produce. I think he is well worth picking up. We really lack depth, and next year is the gold up plus other tournaments.

LEM-LAG, hav77, ragbone and 1 other person repped this.
  19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I just want us to get back to signing players who come to us in good form. We've had a massive strikeout rate with players who "used to be good" (Ibra the one exception).
    So if we signed a single player with more than 5 goals in 2020 it would please me greatly. Heaven forbid we sign a real striker, you know a player with 15+ goals this past season!! Like we used to do, in the old days, before the Klein administration took over.

mbar, hav77, 2in10 and 4 others repped this.
  20. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

Beakmon FC, ShortyMac and hav77 repped this.
  21. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    This could be a combination of DtK’s knowledge of Mexican youth players and his connection with Man City that he used in the Antuna deal. It’s a way to overcome a player’s reluctance to sign with MLS (see Llanez and Mendez) and give us the possibility of a few years of a strong player before they are 18 and can go abroad without restriction. With MLS now participating in FIFA’s Solidarity payment/Training compensation scheme, if Man City picks up his option in three years and loans him elsewhere, the Galaxy still can get something in addition to the option price going forward if he moves on to become a big star. Frankly, this work on getting youth players signed has probably been where DtK has had the most impact this far.

ProudNatRN, Beakmon FC, TrickHog and 3 others repped this.
  23. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I would be very happy if Man City uses the Galaxy as a place to give strong prospects playing minutes as opposed to the Championship or EPL teams likely to be battling to avoid relegation.

Berks, 2in10, Skevin and 2 others repped this.
  24. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I woild think they'd prefer it with NYFC instead?

73Bruin repped this.
  25. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That kid is tiny! That's a lot of hype/pressure to put on a 15 year old.