Official 2021 Nadeshiko Japan Thread [R] - なでしこジャパン(英語スレッド)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by blissett, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    It's not good for anybody to die, but globally across all cultures males are far more likely to get into situations where their lives is in danger. Not really so with females where the biggest part is within private space due to domestic violence. Domestic violence again is more prevalent in countries with predominant patriarchic family structures (which includes Germany and many other Western countries. One could even make the point that the traditional strict patriarchic family is a very Western concept that many other cultures originally didn't even have to that extend, but that's not the topic here). Those select countries where more females are affected than males are all advanced countries (city in HK's case) that handle reducing crime and homicide well, but fail at the one source that is domestic violence. That's why I consider the statistic very telling even if the relative and total number is on a comparable small side.

Lechus7 repped this.
  2. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I expect in all countries to have more women as victims of domestic violence than men because men are physically stronger. If countries have a high percentage of male victims of homicide it doesn`t mean that they have less domestic violence. Except Latvia all countries that have more female than male homicide victims have a low homicide rate. States can influence the criminality that happen in publicity much better than criminality that happens in private space.

Catholic countries like Spain or Italy that are more characterized by a traditional patriarchal family model than many other Western countries have more than 65% of male homicide victims and the homicide rate of women is lower than in Germany. Ireland has even 86,7% of male homicide victims. This contradicts your argument that domestic violence is more prevalent in Western countries with patriarchal family structures.

Lechus7 repped this.
  3. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    #303 datschge, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    This is getting off topic so please start a private conversation with me if you want to continue this discussion.
    That never was my argument. My argument was that domestic violence is a sign of gender inequality, which again is a result of patriarchic family structures. And those patriarchic family structures can be historically traced back to Western ideals of women as chaste women in families. And that while those countries (except Latvia as you correctly pointed out) do a good job at reducing crime and homicide, they fail at reducing domestic violence as much, thus making femicide a more prominent part of the overall homicide statistics.

Lechus7 repped this.
  4. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    #304 pierre bezukhov, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Gender equality and gender roles in Japan - or Asia for that matter - is quite complicated and quite different to the west. There is definitely room for improvement in Japan, and it is very far from an equal society.

But that ranking of 121 is kind of insane. Japan is ranked below the UAE! This is a country that has a slave trade, child workers and sexual enslavement of women, but somehow ranks higher than Japan.

I am not sure how they measure it, but if you are a woman in Japan - by law - you can do the same things as a man. Of course there is entrenched sexism here from both men and women, but the way the west views Japan you would think women were chained to the kitchen, which is not the case.

I think the above statistic is less to do with patriarchal societies and more to do with countries that have low crime rates in general. I mean the "Scandewegian" countries of Europe's north known for their equal societies also have pretty high rates of homicide against women. These countries have less violent crime, therefore crimes against men decrease.

But having said that Mori is very much a product of a different era. I could write at great length about this, but this is a football forum.

I will say one last thing, but I feel that people in Japan are way more progressive in rural areas. Less money, fewer people to go around so antiquated notions about gender roles get dispensed with pretty quickly. This is based on my very small sample-sized experience.

KAPIJXM, Lechus7, Lohmann and 2 others repped this.
  5. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
  6. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I will also stop the discussion here because it was my original intention to show that you misinterpreted a statistic and not to discuss gender inequality. Concerning the cause of domestic violence and the role of patriarchal family structures we disagree.

Lechus7 repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am also persuaded that you were fundamentally agreeing about the matters that most count and just had a misundersting about a single particular point.

I anyway thank you both to have kept this misunderstanding very civil, and I guess that's a thing that distingusih the tone of our thread from others here on BigSoccer. :notworthy:

KAPIJXM, Lechus7 and datschge repped this.
  8. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Datschge has decided to continue the debate in a private conversation.

9. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Market value of NWSL players:
    Nahomi Kawasumi 20000€
    Yuka Momiki 55000€
    Saori Takarada 30000€
    Kumi Yokoyama 27500€

10. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    It's according to soccerdonna.de isn't it?
    I wonder is there a key? Or it's all from reading tea leaves and chicken entrails ;)

11. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From the soccerdonna website: "We have included many factors in order to determine a suitable market value in the end. In doing so, we have paid attention to the development potential of the player, where her path can still lead. Added to this were age, success, performance during the season as well in the past, standing in the club and in the national team. It was important for us not to end up in the millions, as this is still very far from the reality of the market in women`s football."

12. Twistal

Twistal Member

NTV Beleza
    Feb 3, 2018
    "reading tea leaves and chicken entrails" it is.

The women transfer market barely exists. Everyone mostly signing free agents only or pay compensation which is agreed between clubs.

13. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Simone Laudehr - age 35,
    former NT 103/26, WWC winner 2007,
    position FW/MF(RW) played also as DF,

2020/2021 season
    Bundesliga 270min for Bayern Munchen (13 caps, no starts),

total: BL 270min + UWCL 145min (120 vs. Kazygurt) + 1 cap DFB Pokal (?min)

2019/2020 season
    Bundesliga 1099min for Bayern Munchen (14 caps, 2 goals)

market value: 30000€

Nahomi Kawasumi - age 35,
    former NT 90/20, WWC winner 2011,
    position FW/MF(LW/RW) played also as LB/RB,

2020 season
    Nadeshiko League 215min for INAC Kobe Leonessa (9 caps, no starts),
    NWSL 540min for Sky Blue FC (6 caps, 1 goal) (passing 80%, tackles 80%),

total: NL 215min + NWSL 540min + 1 cap Empress Cup (?min)

2019 season
    NWSL 996min for Sky Blue FC (19 caps, 10 starts) (passing 75%, tackles 64%)

market value: 20000€

yeah, tea leaves and chicken entrails ;)

Lena Oberdorf : 250000€
    Saori Takarada: 30000€

:ROFLMAO:

14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #314 Lechus7, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    It seems that widespread discussion provoked by Mr. Mori careless comment followed by his resignation brought some positive conclusions.

Someone asked here why this low overall position in Global Gender Gap Report
    2 stats are seriously low

Political empowerment of women and economic as well

Attached Files:

pierre bezukhov repped this.
  15. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    adding to above

Women hold only 10% seats in Japan parliament with 5% of ministerial positions
    In economic participation women account for only 14% of all legislators, senior officials and managers.

Question is if wasn't for this "scandal" and then disscussion proveked by it, would Mrs. Hashimoto (or any other woman in that matter) had any chance to be elected to this position at all.

pierre bezukhov repped this.
  16. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe Laudehr has a higher market value than Kawasumi because she is only 34, had a Bundesliga game as starter this season (Duisburg) and has played 107min in Champions League against Ajax.:p But the most interesting question is: How do you know that she will play 120min against Kazygurt next month?:confused:

17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #318 Lechus7, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    OK. correction
    Laudehr's 11 months younger than Kawasumi,
    She played 107 minutes against Ajax in UWCL (my error, vs. Kazygurt was in 2019/2020 season) instead 540 minutes Kawasumi did against Washington, NC Courage, Chicago, Houston etc..,
    oh, and she had one game as starter in Duisburg

...and that's making her market value one third bigger? Please. According to soccerdonna she's even more priced than 2nd best Japanese striker post Sawa era - Kumi Yokoyama. :rolleyes:

What I don't get is why soccerdonna wants to speculate on possible players market value when they obviously don't know many facts. Some players value is clearly based on their media popularity.
    Why not start with annual players salary and go from there.
    It's just funny when you read that arguably best Japan player - Mana Iwabuchi - market value is 50k when at the same time you know that 55 players in WE League just signed contracts starting from 60k.

18. Twistal

Twistal Member

NTV Beleza
    Feb 3, 2018
    Both players have a $0 value when it comes to real life. No-one would pay nothing as a transfer fee for such players. Don't even pay any attention to soccerdonna in this regard. It is a popularity contest based on European taste + some social media influence.

19. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    Iwashimizu returns to playing at Beleza after birth of first child.....article in todays Japan Times....(sorry can't get link to work)

KAPIJXM, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, I guess I had missed the news about her child (or I had forgetten, as usual :x3:). Is it the second 2011-Champions' baby after Sawa's? Or was there someone else that I (typically) forgot about?

Edit: I guess the full article is behind a pay-wall, but this should be a working link to the news.

21. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    This kind of article does not give a complete picture of the situation nor does the Asahi article that broke this story.

I want to stress that in politics Japan is run by dinosaurs who mostly come from political families that on the whole have some pretty antiquated views about women. A lot of politicians also went to private universities with dubious histories relating to sexism. Waseda University being perhaps the best/worst example of this.

Anyway, the details are a little bit more complicated than the headline suggests, go like this: The ruling party is allowing 5 female politicians, who aren't already members of the Board of Directors, to observe the meetings. There are already female members in the Board of Directors. The real problem here is that 1): there are only 2 female members among the Board of Directors' 21 members, and 2): their diversity strategy has been pretty bad for a while now.

But what people are missing is that men who are not part of the Board of Directors' also do not sit in on these meetings and if they did they also would not be able to speak. But that detail does not fit with the click bait headline.

I just wish they would focus more on why Japanese women are not interested in going into politics and how they can improve the situation. But that article is not sexy and requires research and a nuanced understanding of gender roles in Japan.

But the percentage of women in politics is terrible here. People just do not want to go into it, male or female for that matter.

I promise this will be the last time I write about this, because this is a football forum.

Lechus7 repped this.
  22. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    Are you sure they are "not interested"? Seems obvious to me why it's not happening, and I can easily see any available interest repeatedly being squashed way before the point where you can ask for an unsexy article to "focus more on why Japanese women are not interested".

Given the circumstances (all those pervasive dinosaurs) a good place as any to really commend the work Kikuko Okajima is doing for WE League and its rules, as well as JFA for fully supporting it.

pierre bezukhov and Lechus7 repped this.
  23. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you want to base the market value on annual players salary you first would have to know all these salaries. There is also the problem that the market value of a player would stay the same as long she has the same contract independently of her performances during this period. Not all clubs pay the same salary for players of equal quality. I guess Iwabuchi would earn more money if she plays for Manchester City than she earns at Aston Villa. Also some clubs might pay less but support the players so that football is compatible with work or study.

24. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #325 Lechus7, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    That's very true. But I'm not advocating some drastic change of how soccerdonna calculate players worth. I only want to point that without a common solid base like in example annual wages (but inscribed equally for all players) all of soccerdonna's good work in making this database is wasted by a number of really unbelivable results.

Is Ewa Pajor market value 1 million euro as transfer fee written in her contract suggest?
    Nope, cuz even Aulas won't pa....well Aulas... here's a thought... nevermind ;)

where was I? even Aulas won't pay it. Wolfsburg just invested a lot $ in Pajor and will not release her easy - thus prohibitive price written in her contract. Soccerdonna has her priced at 125k which is probably close to her annual wage. Same goes with many other players but with 2 major exceptions. German players are often overpriced (by right of homerule or fangirlism or whatever your fancy) while at the same time Asian or African players are mostly underpriced.

I guess it's hard to value something that's using double standards.:unsure: