Official 2021 Nadeshiko Japan Thread [R] - なでしこジャパン(英語スレッド)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by blissett, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    It's unbelieveable how bad Sugasawa has become lately...

unepommekun and blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Beautiful "sombrero" by Hasegawa, who frees herself for a dangerous cross. The subsequent shot is stopped, but we need players able to consistently dribble like that to create chances (of course, those chances need to be converted and not wasted :coffee:).

unepommekun repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now Netherlands inserted some more serious players with Spitse and Beerensteyn.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    66': Sumida and Norimatsu in, Nagano and (I guess?) Miyagawa out.

unepommekun repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As usual, the level of our finishing is abysmal, but I've seen some interesting offensive actions from us in this 2nd Half so far.

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We allowed a shot from short range at 75' after a fast Dutch counterattack, but hopefully their finishing is not much better than ours... :coffee:

unepommekun and KAPIJXM repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sugasawa is in fact quite irritating... :devilish:

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Dutch players botched a promising counterattack actions with a way late pass, when Smits was already off-side. They are only dangerous on counterattacks, but they can be fast at that.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Finally Yuika Sugasawa out and Rikako Kobayashi in at 82': this change needed to be made earlier!

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good triangle in the box at 87', but Hasegawa was a little late for the connection. The action was good and Shimizu had opened some space with her run.

11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Miyazawa is MVP of this match imho

unepommekun repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Miyazawa is stopped at 92' for another false off-side!!! :mad:

13. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Dutch were saved by the referees again :rolleyes:

blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    0-0 FT.

Not a bad second half at all, in my opinion (except for the lack of decent shots). Of course, we weren't facing a full-ranks Netherlands. But I anyway saw some promising signs.

What's not promising is that these signs always come from the usual suspects: Iwabuchi, Hasegawa, Shimizu... It seems to me the other ones can't really challenge our top-level-players yet. :cautious:

unepommekun and KAPIJXM repped this.
  15. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  16. Twistal

Twistal Member

NTV Beleza
    Feb 3, 2018
    I am not being funny. The Netherlands A team might be like 7th-10th in the World right now, this Netherlands B team feels like 30th. Japan only missing Sugita and Yamashita from actual starters (plus Miura in my book, probably not in everyone else) and we struggled with both (like a lot), Iceland and Netherlands B...

Not sure what was promising today, compared to the 2019 game against team A, which was super promising in my opinion...

p/s take off Hasegawa, Iwabuchi and Shimizu, just imagine what would happen...

17. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
  18. hirohiro

hirohiro Member+

Dec 29, 2011
    Brighton, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's quite difficult to assess the performance. It was really like a friendly match feeling on the Dutch side - quite a walking pace.

Tactically it looks like we are going to see no differences under Ikeda. Solid 4-4-2 and two out and out strikers today to start the game...

I did see that they were better pressing and winning the ball in the last two matches, but not sure if that was genuine or just due to the opponents.

Nagano looked promising which is good news - I thought she would never make it at senior level at one point. So that is a positive. After she was replaced by Sumida, it got a bit disjointed - couldn't control the midfield much and started long balls to front two. I mean what Norimatsu thinking to launch (she wasn't under pressure or anything) a straight long ball to Iwabuchi against the Dutch - what is Iwabuchi supposed to do with that.

Is Sumida playing well in WE League? She must be if she's back in the national team. I thought she already had a chance during Takakura era. She never looked like a national team level. Today she looked the same - weak in the duels and her pass speed is terrible.

Miyazawa was slightly better in the second half playing left. She looks more comfortable on the left to me - either side, she hasn't changed from the time I saw her at the youth level - she cuts in pretty much every time she gets the ball :)

Hasegawa is becoming a player level above the rest. Watching her play at West Ham, I'd like to see her play in the midfield of three. I wish we could see Hasegawa, Nagano, and someone very solid. But we know that will never happen - really don't know why they are so obsessed with 4-4-2 for Nadeshiko.

19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #3119 Lechus7, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    NED - JPN (1st half)
    NED - JPN (2nd half)

(some occasional stutters in both videos)

NED 0 - 0 JPN

1 ---------- Shots -----------12
    0 --------- on goal ----------1
    49% ---- possesion ----- 51%
    520 ------ passes ------- 516
    80% --- passes acc. --- 79%
    6 ----------- fouls ---------- 3
    1 -------- yellow c. -------- 0
    5 -------- offside ----------- 8
    1 --------- corners -------- 5

(most of NED possesion was between the pair of their CB's)

Japan was missing Yamashita and Sugita while the Dutch - Miedema, Martens and vd. Donk.

Good training for AFC Cup.

20. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sorry to say but I think is impossible to win with only 1 shot on target in about 96 minutes.... :cry:

Ponde_Ringu, blissett and unepommekun repped this.
  21. unepommekun

unepommekun Member+

Beleza
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2018
    I totally agree with you. 12 shots 1 on target is unbelievable.

KAPIJXM, Ponde_Ringu and blissett repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Meanwhile, I realized that Empress' Cup has a bizarre formula, this year, with 17 matches instead of the usual 16 in the 1st round. Is it due to the fact that WE League has 11 teams and this led to re-arrange around that all of the rounds of the Empress' Cup? :cautious:

23. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #3123 Lechus7, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    ...6 months ago in a galaxy.... not so far away:

ESP 1 - 0 NED
    Guijarro 31'

20 --------- Shots ----------1
    6 --------- on goal --------- 0
    69% ---- possesion ----- 31%
    681 ------ passes ------- 309
    86% --- passes acc. --- 68%
    7 ----------- fouls ---------- 9
    1 -------- yellow c. -------- 0
    1 -------- offside ----------- 2
    7 --------- corners -------- 1

both sides started with their strongest XI's
    during the match ESP made 2 subs, NED made 3 subs

Today's match was a reminder of that game to some degree. The differences like the new coach, new midfield, players tryouts in various roles and positions - on JPN side - with also new player tryouts and tactics tried by NED side - are not withstanding.

Nadeshiko pretty much shutted down Oranje's forwards and had their wingers contained. Introduction of Spitse, v. Dongen, Pelova, Doorn or Beerensteyn in 2nd half didn't changed much of the match picture. Dutch had problems to create any danger upfront that wasn't a hopeful ball to chase. Japan team on the other hand has build plenty of good goals scoring chances but it was Sugasawa on point who wasted all of those given to her. I wouldn't be surprised if she's gonna be benched for awhile (and same goes for Sakkiko Ikeda who may actually lose the spot in NT). Urawa's loosing streak in the league hasn't come from nowhere you know...
    I think if it wouldn't be for Tanaka's injury, Sugasawa would've been replaced by Iwabuchi at half time (with Norimatsu and Sumida still keeping their chances to enter later and Takahashi at the very end changing tired Tanaka).

I don't see Japan playing three in the middle in 4-3-3 against such physically demanding opponents - the size of envelope to cover in the middle by only three players is to big for Nadeshiko players who today were loosing a lot of 1v1 battles or 50/50 balls. Only because they were quickly overcrowding dangerous areas (archaic it maybe but 4-4-2 is still the most balanced formation), they were able to contain the opponents into small area and then force them to cough the ball by small play. It's too early atm but in the future after this team gel some more I'd like to see coach Ikeda to try and incorporate some variants of 3-5-2. The key is to figure out how to transfer the ball quickly upfront after a turn over and the best way for it is to win the ball higher - thus come the high constant pressing - we have seen today. This is how Sasaki's era Japan won WWC.

hirohiro, blissett, Ponde_Ringu and 2 others repped this.
  24. Ponde_Ringu

Ponde_Ringu Member+

May 17, 2021
    The fact that we didn't score against a defensive line that had 0 caps before this games says a lot about our attack. But then I feel our problem in attack is so deep rooted that I wasn't expecting much in that area in the first place.

12 shots and 1 on target....I mean it's nothing less than the usual accuracy. :rolleyes:

I'm overall happy though, it's been a while since I've seen this team play with purpose in offense or defense and I feel I saw that today. They had a plan and implemented it which is more than I can say about Takakura's Olympic run.

blissett and unepommekun repped this.
  25. Twistal

Twistal Member

NTV Beleza
    Feb 3, 2018
    Very unfair comment regarding Takakura.

Takakura's team destroyed every weak opposition.

Got a draw against Canada who performed superbly at the Olympics. Got a very disappointing loss to GB who played not better than Japan. Barely beat Chilie, but they beat them.

Even against Sweden Japan had some good moments.

In my opinion, this team haven't shown anything yet, literally nothing. The only thing I can admit, I haven't expected Nagano to play that comfortable at her position compared to other players. Either she has real potential to get that spot or her competition is actually that bad.

KAPIJXM, Lechus7 and unepommekun repped this.