Official: 2021 LA Galaxy II Season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LEM-LAG, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    ShortyMac, skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a twin brother huh? I hope they have different hair cuts or else we're going to have a lot of conspiracy theories every bad performance.

ShortyMac, skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  3. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    The GII are on a signing spree. This is another college player who they must think has potential. Didn't come from the Galaxy Academy originally. What makes him interesting is that he is listed as a Forward for Cal State Fullerton. Could be another DePuy or Drock-style forward to defender conversion project for the GIIs.

LEM-LAG and ShortyMac repped this.
  4. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Season begins tomorrow for Los Dos, at home against Sacramento (7:30 PM). I just wanted to make a breakdown of our roster before the season begins.

Maybe a few more signings will be made in the next few days, and some players are very unknown at this point.

GK : there is no keeper officially signed to Los Dos yet. First team GK Eric Lopez is expected to get the start, maybe Justin Vom Steeg will play a few games too.

DF : Mauricio Cuevas (RB - LB), Jesus Vazquez (CB), Josh Drack (LB), Isaac Bawa (CB - RB - LB), Owen Lambe. I expect first team players Jalen Neal (CB) and Marcus Ferkranus (CB) to get a lof of minutes there.

MF : Taylor Davila (DM), Adrian Gonzalez (DM), Daniel Aguirre (CAM) Jorge Hernandez (CAM), Victor Valdez (CAM). Alex Alcala and Miguel Avalos are both young national team players from Mexico but I don't know their exact spots.

Wingers : Axel Picazo (RW), Rémi Cabral (LW). Not sure about Cabral but from what I understand, he plays the same spot as his brother. Kai Koreniuk (LW) and Jonathan Perez (RW) could also get minutes there.

FW : Preston Judd (striker). Augustine Williams may have a role too.

Expected lineup for the season :

Lopez
    Cuevas Neal Vazquez Drack
    Davila
    Aguirre Hernandez
    Perez Judd Cabral​

mbar, skydog, Baysider and 5 others repped this.
  5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the rules for playing for Los Dos and the LA Galaxy? Are there limits for Galaxy signed players to be able to appear at Los Dos?

I assume Los Dos players can't step up the LA Galaxy without a first team contract. I just don't know how it works in the other direction.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  7. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    0-1 defeat after a late goal from Sacramento. A very good first half by Los Dos, but they looked exhausted in the second half and Sacramento's coach made some decisive subs. A few good performances (Ferkranus, Drack, Aguirre). More to come when I'll have the time.

natfaninla, mbar, Baysider and 2 others repped this.
  8. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Ferkranus, as advertised, is very calm passing the ball out of the back. Drack had a two-footed challenge that looked bad and got turned on a play in the box. He's clearly a work-in-progress on defense. Korniuk was less impressive than I expected.

I thought Davila looked pretty calm in the midfield, which generally did a decent job in maintaining possession. What they were missing was the strong striker in the center of the attack that they have had in years past - Williams, Zubak, McBean. Judd showed flashes, but he isn't there.

LEM-LAG, Baysider and TrickHog repped this.
  9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could really feel that Sacramento goal coming in the second half.
    We didn’t look too threatening going forward.

TrickHog repped this.
  10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I saw folks on Twitter saying good things in the first half, but by the time I tuned in around minute 55 min. to the end, we seemed pretty toothless and Sacramento had the majority of the good chances.

11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was really clear to me from the start was that we are a very young team While Sacramento was filled with grown men.

Our kids did a good job for 60 minutes or so. Different objectives for La galaxy two and Sacramento.

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Very good point. We don't play seasoned vets nor should we.

13. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Los Dos had a very good first half, creating a few chances (they hit the post on a Judd shot) and annihilating Sacramento's offense (zero shot during the first 45). They got beaten by experience and impactful subs during the second half. I won't say it's a bad performance but this was the type of games they won last year.

As @Benny Dargle said, Ferkranus was very confident from the back, and solid on one-on-one situations. That was surprising to me, I remembered a physical guy but not very skilled. Keep up the good work!

Vazquez had a type of game you love, typical "it's good when you don't hear often the name of a defender"... Until he botched a clearance that lead to Sacramento's goal. Very Vazquez-performance : overall solid but he needs to erase theses mistakes to be first-team material.

Drack was very solid on attack, did a couple of penetrating runs who helped to create spaces. More questionable on defense, especially a late tackle who was worth a red.

Solid games from Lambe and Picazo, not stellar but they did the job. I liked the ability of both Davila and Aguirre (especially the latter) to find the right pass, they always played simple but effective.

Koreniuk was the disappointment of the game, as he never looked dangerous and killed a few oppotunities. Sacramento did a good job of not giving him any space. He needs to do better.

Judd had a mixed game. He was find in good spots, his shots were decent but a better striker would have scored. He looks to play physical, pressing the opposite defenders but sometimes unnecessary rough. Not that bad for a first USL game.

Once again the bench was a huge difference between the two clubs : Adrian Gonzalez looked OK, but Valdez and Nava had zero impact.

14. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #39 Benny Dargle, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Galaxy II winning 3-0 v Las Vegas Lights (aka LAFC 2). Koreniuk scored the first and Aguirre has a brace after scoring in rapid succession. They’ve been passing around the Lights nicely for stretches of the game.

Make that 4-0 on a free kick from Hernandez. The rout is on

TrickHog, LEM-LAG and ProudNatRN repped this.
  15. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Game ended 5-0. Judd finished the scoring with a breakaway goal where he left the defenders looking very slow. Incidentally, Hernandez’ free kick goal was impressive. Over the wall and curving to the top corner.

All in all, a major beat down that should be tempered by the fact that it was 0-0 at half and Lights subs certainly didn’t help their cause.

Still, pretty impressive considering Las Vegas started a number of LAFC senior players, including their backup GK Tomas Romero and one of their strikers, Danny Musovski, who started for LAFC against Austin.

mbar, MPNumber9, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  16. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    What a great win by G2. The performance, especially in the second half, was the best I've seen from Los Dos in a very long time. Very impressive given LAFC sent 8 first team players to Las Vegas for the game. Hopefully a sign for Saturday.

Koreniuk scored the opening goal and assisted the second. Overall a very dangerous player as always, who could have scored at least one more goal. He's very solid near the box but far as consistent in the buildup play, leading to bad turnovers sometimes. Good USL player and I love him, but he needs to be a little bit better to get extensive minutes with the first team.

Daniel Aguirre scored a brace (though one goal will officially count as an OG) and was once again one of our best players. Game looks easy with him, always available, always the right pass, doesn't try to be to complicated. What a good find. Jorge Hernandez, on the other side, despite an incredible free kick, had once again up and down moments. He's in good spots but tries to do too much, and is not that effective in the end. Drack got his first goal after overrunning a tired Las Vegas defense in the last seconds. Good for him.

Defense was overall solid, and for once the offside line worked for most of the game. Vom Steeg responded well when we needed him. Lambe, calm and effective (and got Los Dos first assist of the season). Same comment as last week about Drack : he doesn't look out of place, but he's learning the job at LB. Got an assist for his buddy Judd.

MOTM would be between Aguirre and Koreniuk but the unsung hero was Adrian Gonzalez to me. The 17 years old started as a DM and was a pitbull, pressing and winning battles absolutely everywhere. Very impressive.

Only negative note : Johnny Perez had almost zero impact and had a hard time battling with LAFC Raheem Edwards (who's a good player by the way IMHO, I don't know why he doesn't get much playing time).

Next game is on Sunday, again at home, against Tacoma Defiance (Seattle's reserve), at 5 p.m. Until Sunday, watch the highlights (or the entire game, it's worth it) of this 5-0 victory against LAFC B :

ProudNatRN, mbar, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  17. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Sorry, I meant Preston Judd scored his first goal.

TrickHog repped this.
  18. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    1-1 draw against Tacoma Defiance, Seattle's reserve. A very, very frustrating result as Los Dos, while playing their third game in nine days, were by far the better team. After Jorge Hernandez scored his second free kick this week (!), Tacoma scored on a last-second PK after an unfortunate handball by Judd.

[​IMG]

Jorge Hernandez deserved a ton of credit after a monster game where he was everywhere and very effective on his dribbles and key passes. My MVP.

A player who hasn't put a foot wrong so far is Marcus Ferkranus. By far our best defender, effective in every area of the game (positioning, in the air, interception, passing). Owen Lambe is another effective but not flashy player, he reminds me a little bit of Todd Dunivant (but that's only three games).

Axel Picazo is a good and skilled player, but not that fast neither physical. That could hurt him at the next level. Too bad because he's mature and not fancy.

The weak link was Augustine Williams, who was found in good spots but first touch was seriously lacking.

Next game is on the road against Salt Lake reserves, on Friday (6 p.m.).

ShortyMac, mbar, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty impressive for a young guy to have those FKs in his arsenal.

ShortyMac and TrickHog repped this.
  20. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    First away game of the season for Los Dos, as they go to Salt Lake City to face the Real Monarchs. Game is at 6 p.m.

Kevin Cabral is expected to make his debut on Saturday, maybe his brother will do the same today ?

TrickHog repped this.
  21. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    TrickHog, natfaninla and LEM-LAG repped this.
  22. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    2-0 win against the Real Monarchs SLC. No debut for Rémi Cabral (who might be still in France), but another very good performance from Los Dos. RSL 2 was forced to commit fouls after fouls (26 in total) as they were after the play most of the game.

[​IMG]

I've been impressed by our defense this season. It seems players act like a unit, there are much less one vs. one confrontation with the goalkeeper. Vom Steeg has been excellent, Drack is progressing very quickly and doesn't look like a converted fullback anymore, and Marcus Ferkranus has simply been the best G2 player through these first four games. He's been terrible during preseason when he mostly played as a RB, but trust me, the difference is HUGE.

That said, Lambe was the weak link, facing a very pacey winger (their best player) who beat him almost every time.

Daniel Aguirre is another youngster who's having a tremendous season. He's playing as a box-to-box, not that involved on the defensive side (though he's doing his job) but his vision is incredible. He's the organizer of this team.

Adrian Gonzalez is also a real project at the DM position. He needs to polish a little bit, but very nice run and cross to Koreniuk on the first goal. A name to remember.

First goal is a typical Koreniuk goal : run to the back post and collect a cross (very similar to the goal he scored against Vancouver in MLS last year). It will be hard for him to get first team playing time, but as a sub when a goal is needed he could do some damages.

The second goal was impressive : Aguirre fights for a ball in the midfield, Jorge Hernandez collects it, sends a beautiful through ball to Judd between two defenders (great run!), perfect first touch, Judd resists to a late tackle and calmly scores. You have to see it.

Next game is on Wednesay (7:30 p.m.), at home against SKC 2. It should be a win for Los Dos.

ShortyMac, TrickHog, natfaninla and 3 others repped this.
  23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big mystery is where Cuevas is right?

Saw on Twitter some informed guesses being that it’s been a coaches decision to not dress him. Wonder what is up as he looked promising last year.

TrickHog repped this.
  24. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The assist for the 2nd goal was *chef’s kiss*

I moved to Utah a year and a half ago and I looked into going to the game yesterday, but tickets were $40 each. Seemed excessive for a USL game between 2 “reserve” sides.

ShortyMac and TrickHog repped this.
  25. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I hope I'm wrong but I fear a Llanez/Mendez//Hernandez-Foster situation. I don't know if Cuevas is related to Kleiban though.

73Bruin, TrickHog and mbar repped this.