Official 2020 Samurai Blue thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Samurai Warrior, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Why they're playing in Europe is weird to me on this. I assume its to minimise travel for players but frankly even 1 border could mean a new quarantine requirement anywhere in the world.

2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it's the only practical way for Moriyasu to call up the players based in Europe?

3. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The squad will be announced after 2 days, on Thursday 1/October/2020.

4. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Japan's NT squad for friendlies against Cameroon & Cote d'ivoire:

GK:
    Kawashima
    Gonda
    Schmidt

DF:
    Nagatomo
    Yoshida
    H.Sakai
    Muroya
    Ueda
    Anzai
    Itakura
    Tomiyasu
    Sugawara

MF:
    Haraguchi
    Shibasaki
    W.Endo
    J.Ito
    Minamino
    Kamada
    Nakayama
    Miyoshi
    Doan
    T.Kubo

FW:
    Okazaki
    Osako
    M.Suzuki

seolseol repped this.
  5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Interesting Okazaki is in the squad. Also I hope Itakura gets some minutes in these games alongside Wataru Endo in CM.

seolseol repped this.
  6. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Geez Miyoshi... he barely played.
    Call Inui or Okugawa for god's sake...

7. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    I'm guessing that Inui may not be playing in the next WC due to his age plus there are some negative responses to his alleged scandal earlier. Nagatomo and Okazaki may be there to provide some leadership

seolseol repped this.
  8. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Scandal?

Anyway imo depressing FWs.

9. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    crap stuff related to private life that shouldn't matter in football.

10. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Okazaki withdrew from the squad due to the injury he sustained against Elche.

seolseol repped this.
  11. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd want to see Itakura at CB, where he's been excelling for Groningen. They just downed Ajax with a clean sheet this weekend.

12. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's fair enough and I somewhat agree. I think however we need a tough CM more than we need good CBs right now as there's at least 4 decent to good options. At CB we need a partner for Tomiyasu, of which there's several reasonable candidates.

13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Endo is the presumptive starter for the holding mid role, and Nakayama has been in good form lately as well. Unfortunately they couldn't call up Hashimoto for these matches, but domestic-based players like Yamaguchi, Morita, Ao Tanaka, Fujita, et al. should come into play in the future as well.

14. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It will be interesting to see if Japan will schedule friendlies in Europe in next November.

There are some European teams still free for November's first matchday such as: Ireland, Wales, Bosnia, Romania, Bulgaria, and Norway.

It seems Russia is free too, and it is not sure both England and Portugal will be free in this matchday.

While Mexico still did not schedule any friendly matches in November, likewise are other teams from the CONCACAF.

A decent European team +:Mexico in November will be a perfect set of friendlies.

15. poyotaryo

poyotaryo Member

Brazil
    Feb 14, 2020
    Brussels, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hi all !

Is there a Live Games section here? And does anyone have a stream for the game against Cameroon? Thanks !

16. riyadmahrez

riyadmahrez New Member

ajax, Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Oct 29, 2019
    if someone has a stream. please message me

17. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  18. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So that was boring, I saw from around minute 40 onwards.

In the 2nd half with the 3-4-3 the connection between the defence and midfield playing out the back was pretty bad.

Also Junya Ito again always looked good today. I do hope he starts he's good value. Yoshida-Tomiyasu combo looked quite strong today. Winning their duels and looking overall in good shape.

I'm glad Nakayama got a full 90min to get in the swing of things, he has a lot to improve but he wasn't physically pushed around too much which was good.

seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  19. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The second half was a huge improvement compared to the first.

Yes, Junya Ito shall start ahead of Doan who is too predictable.

Yuta Nakayama played really well and made some key interceptions, unlike Shibasaki who was overwhelmed by Cameroon's extreme physical play

Nakayama needs to improve his passing skills, but apart from this shortcoming he was a beast in the centre of the field, which is a surprise given his previous performances with the senior NT in this position.

Playing against such African teams is a great opportunity to test how the team and the players are performing against extreme physical and high-speed teams. For example, Shibasaki and Doan were clearly struggling against an opponent with such a play style. I think Moriyasu should have subbed in Musashi Suzuki for Osako, as Musashi is more capable of dealing with such opponents.

Let's hope Moriyasu took notes from today's match and makes amendments to his team selection and formation. One sure thing: Osako will not play against Cote d'Ivoire as he will left the NT camp and rejoin his club.

gamban98 and seolseol repped this.
  20. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Only the last 20 minutes looked lively, not a lot of free-flowing back and forth exchanges as in an intense game definitely. Junya Ito was good, Doan and Shibasaki were pretty average overall. Rest was decent.
    Wonder if there are alternatives in Yoshida's position to partner Tomiyasu as it is difficult to tell if Yoshida will be available in Russia if his form by then is not that good as he will be 34 by then.

Itakura and Naomichi Ueda are viable options. Maybe J-leaguers like Koki Machida and Shunta Tanaka, etc. can be tried as well.

seolseol repped this.
  21. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    Forget Koki Machida, even Sekigawa is ahead of him in the pecking order at Kashima.

22. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    RIP BSJ.

23. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Generally for friendlies we use this thread, while for official games single threads are opened.

24. tomoyuki

tomoyuki Member

Dec 19, 2017
    I'm sure Itakura has solidified his status as the #3 CB of Japan and now he is in pole position to replace Yoshida.

He has had incredible stats in the Eredivisie.

https://www.sofascore.com/player/ko-itakura/790989
    Total duels won - 86%
    Ground duels won - 91%
    Air duels won - 83%

At this rate, he will attract attention from the top 5 league clubs.

seolseol repped this.
  25. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Its an okey result.
    Can we really expect more from certain players at this point? I mean they havent performed for club or NT for like over a year. At some point you need to try something new. I am talking about players like Shibasaki and Doan. What have they really done to remain starters? Nothing.