Official: 2020 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ProudNatRN, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Leaning on what we have internally for the near term. Reasonable to me given the uncertainty in the world at the moment. Why sign anyone big now if there is no guarantee of much play this season with COVID cases spiking nationwide?

ProudNatRN, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  3. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i wonder if this because one of the other midfielders isn’t traveling to Orlando.

4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
  5. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Another one, so I'll give my thoughts on Harvey :

- 20 years old Panamanian international, he's right-footed. When he came to Los Dos he was described as a guy capable of playing CB and DM. For G2 he has only played as a DM.

- his physical presence is his main strength. He was above almost anyone in USL but there are a lot of young guys in this League so I don't know if he can translate it to a higher level. He won a lot of battles, he's very hard to beat when both players are fighting close to each other for the ball. I don't remember him being good at intercepting opponents' passes.

- good workrate. For a man of his size, he's not slow.

- his passing is decent, he's OK at beginning the build of plays. He has a heavy shot and is not afraid to use it, but won't score many goals so he's sometimes a little bit frustrating.

- his biggest weakness is his inconsistency. He's capable of having a good game and missing an easy pass near to the goal and put his team in danger. I hardly remember him having a "complete" game.

- I wanted to remark that while not being one of Los Dos best players, he was IMHO one of the team most important players, because he made the XI way more balanced.

Overall, I'm intrigued by this signing. Harvey is a good USL player with upside but was not ready to make it to the first team yet (for example, Koreniuk is ready to me). Adding he plays as a DM where we already have Jona and Kitchen, and he counts as an international, I'm not sure he brings much value to the team right now.

ProudNatRN, Baysider, hav77 and 6 others repped this.
  6. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Just to complete my post above, I think and hope Benny is spot on. With Harvey's signing we have just one international slot left. It's strange to use one on the backup of the backup, so maybe Beep Boop Robot is also right.

If this move is just for the Orlando tournament to see what Harvey has in his sleeve for the future, I'm completely OK with it.

TrickHog and mbar repped this.
  7. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    hav77, mbar and TrickHog repped this.
  8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. natfaninla

natfaninla Member

Jan 18, 2005
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Efra for reaching out to family to better himself, but a little bit of "shame on the Galaxy" for not really working to helping him and other younger pros and academy players with these kinds of things. I'd have thought that's a big part of why you'd sign on with a team or academy.
    Still, hoping he can build himself into a younger version of Pavon, nothing wrong with that!

ProudNatRN, TrickHog and ShortyMac repped this.
  10. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

31 years old defensive midfielder with 150+ EPL appearances who captained South Korea at the 2018 WC.

Skevin, ProudNatRN, hav77 and 3 others repped this.
  11. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know we have a ton of midfielders, but it’s hard to turn away one with that much experience.

12. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I APPROVE THE CRAP OUT OF THESE HIRINGS!!!

FlapJack, LEM-LAG, Geneva and 8 others repped this.
  13. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    2014 and Tiki Taco seems like an eternity ago and Marcelo really aged!

14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As do we all. As do we all.

hav77, Berks and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  15. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #1490 73Bruin, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    I wonder if Jona's sports hernia problem actually goes back a while, perhaps to 2018 and he's finally having it taken care of.

This also explains the loan of Harvey from GII that was reported last week.

Finally, we may get a hint of who may have tested positive based on today's scrimmage line-ups.

TrickHog repped this.
  16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone watch the scrimmage?

I was playing monopoly with kids so I could not watch too closely but we sure don’t look ready for tough matches. The teams were split pretty evenly so Galaxy II 2 and Galaxy 0 is misleading.

biggest takeaways:

chicharito was completely anonymous again until limping off with a knock after 30.

Pavon our best player. Next best player at least two tiers below.

Efra was trying to run more but didn’t have much more influence.

Some of the guys from Galaxy II I didn’t recognize seemed better then the established guys.

Steres and De Puey didn’t fill me with much confidence.

Traore looked good going forward from the back.

I like Wild’s effort. He seems to make smarter decisions the Zubak.

That’s all I got.

73Bruin, Vindo310, TrickHog and 10 others repped this.
  17. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunbar looked good especially considering his age, has really good speed and dribbling ability. Something we sorely lack off the bench. He helped set up the play that led to the penalty. Corona looked good too, looked to me like he was showing up Kljestan to prove that he should be getting the AM minutes ahead of him. Overall team Gray was superior to team Blue, it's no coincidence that Chicharito was on team Blue and Pavon on team Gray. It was nice to watch the team again, but this display has me very concerned that we're going down to Florida and coming right back... We aren't very good.

73Bruin, Vindo310, hav77 and 3 others repped this.
  18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIGHT?!

ShortyMac, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  19. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    A little bit surprising, but according to the MLS website (https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2020/la-galaxy), Carlos Harvey does not count as an international. It means we currently have two spots open.

That said, given the situation, I don't mean the team has to rush to find two players, even if at the moment a CB and a RW seem to be our biggest needs.

TrickHog repped this.
  20. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I’m really hoping that Dunbar and Alvarez get some real minutes at RW. Maybe that’s a problem that solves itself.

MPNumber9, The Cadaver, TrickHog and 4 others repped this.
  21. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    So Bale's contract is up next year. Any takers? We could sign him on a free and he would get a lot of people interested in us.

I know there are a lot of warning signs with Bale, but I think he is still an amazing player and would love playing in LA.

22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fits a position of need at least and would be the best winger in MLS. Only concern is his injury history and MLS travel. DP injuries have been brutal the last couple seasons.

Skevin and TrickHog repped this.
  23. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Does he coach? Can he count to 5 subs?

MPNumber9, The Cadaver, Berks and 3 others repped this.
  24. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Per Transfermarkt, he on contract to 6/30/22 and is currently 31. While I think he would be great now, I am very dubious about the Galaxy signing him to a 3 - 5 year DP contract when he is 33. I may be wrong, but I always thought that his primary attribute was speed. I don't see him at that age range being able to fly up and back on the wing.

MPNumber9 and Skevin repped this.
  25. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Speed is/was a factor in Bale’s ability, but he’s not a rich man’s Mike Randolph. His free kicks and goals from outside the 18 are world class. Excellent vision and passing. Able to create goals by himself.

That said I wouldn’t want him. His injuries are well known, the plastic pitches, the extended air travel, the step down in physio/medical the Galaxy has compared to Real Madrid; Bale would be out injured for half his contract.

TrickHog and JPAR repped this.