Official: 2020 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm lazy. Do you have any tidbits for these two items? I must know because:
    -Bruce is fascinating
    -Berhalter, current coach of USMNT

2. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm actually not sure why Zlatan being a d*ck is news?

He has a track record of butting heads with coaches and fighting with teammates.

It's weird how some players are synonymous with their controversies while others are allowed to leave them in the past. Could you imagine if there had been any stories out there about Nigel De Jong getting into training ground brawls?

Klinsmann's kinda the same. His track record throughout his career, both playing and coaching, is littered with feuds and acrimonious partings, yet it doesn't seem to be reflected at all in his reputation.

3. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Bruce, Gordon said he had favorites in practice whom he would never criticize. Then others that he would ride mercilessly. Gordon felt he was one of the latter, couldn't get a start out of Bruce even while Buddle was going through an epic slump and Gordon was killing it in practice. :) Then he got traded to Chivas USA, and he would see Bruce in the gym, and they got to talking and it was buddy buddy. Later Gordon came back to the Galaxy.

hav77, Berks, LEM-LAG and 1 other person repped this.
  4. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1379 The Beautiful Gamer, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020

With the revelation of Depuy and the imminent return of Steres, I am about ready to give up on getting another CB and instead think we should spend money on a true CAM. If we are going to get the best out of JV14 we need a real number 10 like a Kaka, Marcelo Sarvas type of player. Who is available and when can we try to get them because Sasha is not going to cut it.

-------------Chicharito
    Pavon---------------------Katai
    --------Sasha-----Llegett
    ----------------Jona

JPAR and MPNumber9 repped this.
  5. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    IIRC Berhalter was the scariest player he ever faced in practice. Would tackle straight legged and didn't worry about injuring teammates. One of the interviewers pointed out that Berhalter had been playing in Germany and that his (the interviewer's) experience in Germany was that the players are brutal in practice and care more about winning a starting spot than the team winning games.

hav77, 73Bruin and Berks repped this.
  6. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm guessing that the criticism stems from Lleget and the Galaxy's slow start to the season. If we were 2-0, everyone would think his comments were awesome.

7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't recall that about Berhalter - the injuring part. That was DeJong? There was something scary/different about Berhalter, but Gordon also said later he became a friend.

8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You got me to go back and check. He actually talked about Berhalter, DeJong and Eddie Robinson as all being scary in practice (~minute 54). He "hated Berhalter most in the world" because Gregg came so hard at him at practice. Said he was crazy, mean and did cheap shxx (again only in practice) and they would go back and forth at each other. Said a year later Gregg was one of his favorites. Someone else brought up DeJong being brutal in training and he agreed. Said a younger Eddie Robinson scared him the most of anyone though.

Berks and Geneva repped this.
  9. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he said Gregg would be kneeing him at practice. You don’t want your guys to get injured at practice but also I wish we had that now. Gregg was setting the tone for the defense and I am of the belief that our stellar defense later on was because he got a young Omar Gonzales, AJ Delagarza and Sean Franklin(?) and set them up with a lot of knowledge. And his tenacity spread out to them.

imagine if Giancarlo had someone like that right now forcing him to be better and more aggressive.

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Our coaching staff should just show this to our team on endless loop (or old Galaxy games):

natfaninla and ShortyMac repped this.
  11. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Not surprising if true. $20m for Pavon is not only tough to swallow with the season in doubt, but even if we can afford the price there are probably some bargains available on the transfer market if we have another DP spot available.

hav77 repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That sucks. Of course most MLS teams will probably be trimming expenses soon. Also true for teams world-wide so we are likely to see player salaries and transfer fees dropping as well.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  13. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Gio will become available, and then we can go full-on Mexican NT washout mode. But at least hopefully it would draw the Hispanic crowds.

14. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

The Beautiful Gamer, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  16. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  17. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I read something about James Rodriguez a couple days ago, and he'd be the perfect player for us. We've been lacking a #10 for years.

GalaxyOne, MPNumber9, hav77 and 3 others repped this.
  18. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He’s kick the ball once and become the best player in the league.

We need that flair from the middle of the field, but he’s wanted everywhere. Can’t see us beating Euro teams to him right now.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Likely but I do like seeing us linked with a #10. I really think that is all that's holding us back at the moment

hav77 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well there is that other thing...

Skevin and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  21. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    LAFC???

22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I'll take James and Higuain. Where is the YES vote?

The upside of losing Pavon is we could get a centrally-oriented 10, which would work better with Chicharito, whereas I think Pavon was best as a winger.

GalaxyOne, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  23. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    James Rodriguez to LA Galaxy

Gonzalo Higuain or Chicharito? LA Galaxy face a HUGE dilemma ahead | ESPN FC

The Cadaver, TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  24. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodriguez is the type of guy that the Galaxy should have gone after, rather than Chicharito. That would have generated some excitement.

Would have thought the Galaxy would have learned after the dismal failure of Gio and eventually buying out his contract.

kaburu, Skevin and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  25. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be awful. That kid is ridiculously talented. We haven’t had someone that can move like that since Landon. I don’t even mean the speed but the energy and ability to dominate plays. He has that special quality that when he gets the ball on a break you trust in his ability to make something happen.

To lose such a young player to chase stars that may or may not work out would be an utter shame.

Geneva and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.