Official: 2020 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.

1. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder who has his discovery rights...

TrickHog and LEM-LAG repped this.
  2. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever he wants to play for, has them.

skydog, hav77, 73Bruin and 2 others repped this.
  3. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the 4th DP spot is born.

cleschke, barroldinho, TrickHog and 2 others repped this.
  4. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

The Beautiful Gamer, TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  5. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    In case anyone is wondering, Wild received a green card last spring while he was still a member of Atlanta United's roster

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united-verge-adding-international-slot/qiEi1lENfXAn4LlMf5yh5I/

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2019/05/31/julian-gressel-gordon-wild-obtain-us-green-cards

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  6. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    So I guess our roster is almost set :

GK (3) : Bingham, Vom Steeg, Lopez.
    RB (2) : Feltscher, Araujo.
    CB (4) : Franco, Steres, Gonzalez, DePuy.
    LB (3) : Insua, Traore, Acosta.
    DM (2) : Jona, Kitchen.
    CM (3) : Lletget, Corona, Kljestan.
    CAM (2) : Alvarez, Cuello.
    Wingers (2) : Pavon, Katai.
    FW (3) : Chicharito, Zubak, Wild.

That's 24 players. We'll possibly sign one or two young players for depth up top (my guesses are Kai Koreniuk and Cameron Dunbar), but I don't expect any big signing for now.

Defense looks OK but our midfield is light (I don't have a lot of confidence in Kitchen and Sacha as starters, and Alvarez might be injured for a few weeks/months).

And our depth up top is worrying. The three starters are great but beside them, there are good USL players but totally unproven at the MLS level.

We should have a lot of cash saved for the summer and I'm OK with it.

73Bruin, WarGalaxy, TrickHog and 4 others repped this.
  7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update on Efra

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  8. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agree on with pretty much everything you said except this. I think our defense is the opposite of OK. We lost Polenta. Feltscher was a sieve last season. We hope Araujo works out but he is inexperienced. Gonzalez was inconsistent and doesn't seem like he could play 90min night after night. Acosta is out and Traore has a total of 220 min of not very impressive first team experience. Bingham remains a mediocre goal keeper -- not horrible, but not good either. All of this does not add up to a good defense. Worse is the fact that we have added no bite to our soft as butter midfield. In fact Kljestan is the opposite of bite. That likely means a lot will be demanded of from our iffy defensive corp.

Best case scenario? We get Franco and he is a beast. Insua turns out to be good. Araujo is the player his fans hope he will be. We have almost no new injuries to our starter defenders. Bingham has a good season, by his standards. If ALL of those things happen we might not give up 1.74 goals/gm and have to sweat out every game like we did last season.

ProudNatRN, TrickHog and JPAR repped this.
  11. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does Acosta have to be on that roster? If he’s out for the year, shouldn’t we just exclude him from the roster and save the cap space? I always thought the roster submission date was right before opening day and you’re not forced to put anyone on that list if you don't want to.

barroldinho repped this.
  12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some good news in here.

ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agree on with pretty much everything you said except this. I think our defense is the opposite of OK. We lost Polenta. Feltscher was a sieve last season. We hope Araujo works out but he is inexperienced. Gonzalez was inconsistent and doesn't seem like he could play 90min night after night. Acosta is out and Traore has a total of 220 min of not very impressive first team experience. Bingham remains a mediocre goal keeper -- not horrible, but not good either. All of this does not add up to a good defense. Worse is the fact that we have added no bite to our soft as butter midfield. In fact Kljestan is the opposite of bite. That likely means a lot will be demanded of from our iffy defensive corp.

Best case scenario? We get Franco and he is a beast. Insua turns out to be good. Araujo is the player his fans hope he will be. We have almost no new injuries to our starter defenders. Bingham has a good season, by his standards. If ALL of those things happen we might not give up 1.74 goals/gm and have to sweat out every game like we did last season.

14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Seventy goals is indeed impressive but that stat needs a bit of context - 43 of them came against U13/U14 teams. Plus another 13 against U16/17 competition. In any case I'm happy for the kid, happy he's a true home grown from Carson, happy we are developing talent. I hope he develops into a Galaxy star in future years.

Can anyone explain to me why Homegrown players like Cameron (who appears to not have yet played at the USL level) are signed to first team contracts rather than say a GII contract? I'm assuming it's part of the Homegrown contract rules but I'm not sure why it would be.

15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait--are you saying he scored 43 goals against 12 y/o as a 17 y/o? Because I agree, that is not impressive. I assumed he scored them against kids his own age.

16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Skydog can correct me but I think he's saying he scored the 43 when he was playing in that age group.

17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Haha, I hope not. Also I wasn't saying he wasn't impressive - just noting that we can't really tell from # of goals scored when he was playing against U-14's. At that age some players score a lot just based on superior athleticism so you have to look more at what you see skill-wise. Anyway here are his 70 goals. I think the most predictive part is his recent record against the more mature teenagers, which looks fine.

upload_2020-2-20_17-40-43.png

barroldinho and MPNumber9 repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yep, this. :)

barroldinho repped this.
  19. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I see what you're saying.

skydog repped this.
  20. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you list CAM listed? It doesn’t seem like we’re playing a CAM this year (4-3-3). Also whenever I’ve seen Cuello and Alvarez play (open cup/leagues cup) they’ve played out wide last year.

Cuello and Alvarez might not be the immediate backup at either wing spot (perhaps Lletget is) but I think they’re depth there.

Beirut repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think many are envisioning JDS continuing a trend toward being more attack minded but I personally think he will (and should) continue to play more like a DM.

Edit: Nevermind. I see you are specifically arguing that Cuello and Alvarez will play wide. Likely true for Alvarez (if he gets healthy). I could see Cuello being played and being ineffective at either position though.

ProudNatRN repped this.
  22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jona is probably both the best DM and box-to-box CM we have. He's also no slouch creating. I'm anxious to see the midfield firing on all cylinders; I think there'll be a lot of fluidity between the positions.

skydog, shelbo, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  23. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the MLS “deep” evidently means more than 5 good players at a single position in the entire league. Baby steps!

skydog and barroldinho repped this.
  24. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it makes a huge difference to the overall picture, but I think you forgot Steres, who is currently our best defender in my book.If we can sign that new CB from Argentina, we should be a bit stronger defensively than last season.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is more, why list depth at a position that we don’t field in our current formation? I’d be like if we also listed depth for sweeper or wing-back.