Official: 2020 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well put. Romney was a professional in every sense of the word and he gave his all for the team. I will miss him.

My non-sentimental assessment of this trade will depend on the quality and cost of Romney's replacement. If DTK manages to use the $ from the trade to bring in a high quality left back who is good on both sides of the ball then it will be worth it. All I know for sure is thank goodness DTK is making these decisions instead of Klein.

2. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    If you want the Expansion Draft rules : https://www.mlssoccer.com/media-resources/2019-expansion-draft-rules

Main things to know :

- we have to protect 12 players.
    - at least 3 internationals must be protected.
    - HG players are automatically protected, so Efrain Alvarez and Ethan Zubak don't need to be protected, but remember Araujo is not considered as a HG.
    - Nashville and Miami can only select one player from our team.
    - if one of our players is picked, we'll receive 50k in GAM.

3. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    That said, my list (if Romney had stayed) would have been :

1. Bingham
    2. Araujo
    3. Steres
    4. Polenta
    5. Romney
    6. Traore
    7. Jona
    8. Corona
    9. Lletget
    10. Pavon

Final two spots would have been between Zlatan, Antuna, Alessandrini and Favio. For the first three it's still unclear if they will come back, and Favio is on loan until June I believe, so it won't have been huge to lose him.

I think Antuna will stay for another year but if Zlatan and Alessandrini leave (that looks possible at the moment), we don't need to protect them and I don't buy the "Romney would have been taken" argument.

hav77 repped this.
  4. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I think you have to protect players who have a no trade clause in their contract, even if their contract is expiring, which likely includes our DPs.

TrickHog and LEM-LAG repped this.
  5. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Romney will be missed. In a salary cap league, players like him are valuable. The Gs likely would have had a few more points last season if he had started every game. Was he the last player standing from that generation of G2 players?

6. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yes you're right, so it was basically Romney vs. Antuna/Favio. Romney was expendable at the moment so I can understand.

Benny Dargle and skydog repped this.
  7. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    You can also consider Steres in this first wave of G2 players, and Jamieson if he comes back (I doubt it).

hav77 repped this.
  8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Christmas comes early! Glad about this news if true.

Kitchen's issues were mostly "sins of omission" so it was easy for the casual observer to mistake him for a good player. His slow jogging, not showing for the ball, reliance on safe back passing, laying off or foul style of defense, not pursing 50-50 balls all hurt the team but don't tend to show up on "low light reels." Casual fans don't notice what you don't do, but what you don't do matters. And he "didn't do" a lot.

Bingham was a bit better this season and was a decent shot stopper but he still isn't a leader and he doesn't inspire confidence in the team or the fans. I'm glad we are moving on.

Go DTK!

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will miss Dave Romney, who was a great professional, a local Irvine guy, and the longest-serving player on our team. I look forward to the days when we aren't constantly rebuilding, just tuning up in the offseason.

I hope we concentrate on defense in the offseason. I know we are probably replacing Zlatan, and goals are needed and all that, but the sieve that was our defense was so demoralizing. That's got to change. Forwards, especially flashy ones, are secondary.

10. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Romney and Steres always struck me as fantastic MLS backups rising perhaps to the role of being paired with an Omar/Van Damme type player, but not guys you want to build a defense around. They both got screwed, Romney by sitting when those ahead of him weren't better and Steres by expecting him to be the Omar/Jelle role which wasn’t fair.

11. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This smacks of doing it for the player versus the team. Need of the many < Need of the Few or the One. Well let's just hope Polenta and Steres are healthy all next season and Gonzalez can be relegated to the bench as purely a CB sub. Losing Romney makes us thinner in that spot but not so bad that we are hosed just yet. We need reliable fullbacks more than anything.

hav77 and barroldinho repped this.
  12. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. Move Bingham now while his stock is up. What are the odds that he plays like he did again next year? I am ready to move on from him. Now let's see DTK work his magic.

skydog repped this.
  13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Jamieson and Lopez were both on expiring contracts.

hav77 repped this.
  14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TrickHog, The Beautiful Gamer and hav77 repped this.
  15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the rules!

16. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe Hilliard-arce is good enough that he can play the back up cd role. I think he’s maxed out at the USA level.

17. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm a big Steres fan too - but I'd only protect him once ;)

18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanna make sure we protect him!!

That's what I get for posting while at work. :)

19. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Two new players linked with us : forward Mauro Zarate and winger Ricardo Centurion (who was a rumor from last year too). Given the sources seem Argentinian, don't read too much into it.

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Sounds like a lot of things are happening in the back end without giving much out to the public. I imagine 3-4 guys have already been told they are being shipped out.

There is some huge question marks about this team now. We suddenly have about $1 million to spend just on defense since Skjelvik's terrible contract is up. Plus with Romney and hopefully Feltscher gone, that is another $300k.

The Beautiful Gamer, MPNumber9 and JPAR repped this.
  21. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is Joao Pedro still with the team?

TrickHog repped this.
  22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Centurion? Does he yell "Power X-Treme!!!!!" before each game? I'll be amazed if anybody gets that reference.

I would like him to play for us if only so any time he gets into an altercation, I can shout "Stwike him Centuwion! Vewy woughly!!".

23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been away from the team for some time....BUT his contract with us ends in Dec

hav77 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  24. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forget that you are surrounded by more than just soccer nerds sir.

MPNumber9, TrickHog and barroldinho repped this.
  25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ace McCloud was my first Halloween costume.