Official: 2020 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He wasn’t on the field for the open house?? Wow.

Any other reports from the block party? Bummed I missed it.

2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't there but saw some video of him practicing on the side. Saw some comments on twitter about the visa situation.

Actually here is some footage:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YSS9fhqq8YE

TrickHog repped this.
  3. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was mostly walking around and talking to people. But, when I did sit at the top of the VBlock, it was tough for me to tell who the players were out there. I did see The Butcher making them run in circles. The scrimmage was played on a condensed field. I think Zubak scored. It got damn cold. I left before the players came out for autographs. But, I got my STM shirt and I had a pleasant time.

JPAR, TrickHog and mbar repped this.
  4. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Watching the stream from yesterday, it seems we have a new trialist in camp : 24 years old forward Gordon Wild. He was previously with Atlanta and DC although he never played in MLS, but featured a lot in USL. He's coming from a strong run with Loudoun United (DC United USL affiliate) with 10 goals and 3 assists in 16 games last year.

Otherwise, players who played with the first team yesterday but who are not officialy signed are Kai Koreniuk (winger from G2), Carlos Harvey (defensive midfielder from G2), and Ben Smart (left back, Draft pick).

I didn't see Mohammed Kamara (G2), Cameron Dunbar and Johnny Perez (Academy players).

ShortyMac, MPNumber9, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is some chatter on Twitter that JDS has a lingering injury. Will be interesting to see if he features at all in upcoming friendlies.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, apparently he strained a groin in November with Mexico and it's still bothering him a bit. Definitely something to be worried about if it's lingering like that...

Berks, ShortyMac, mbar and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he got to play in the close door scrimmage ;)

ShortyMac and TrickHog repped this.
  8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Still worried that we are now a few weeks from kickoff and our defense is still Steres-Gonzalez with Feltscher as our CB depth....

LEM-LAG, barroldinho, skydog and 3 others repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a lot of anxiety back in November that seems to have dissipated; some were even speculating a stoppage. I think the narrative for this one is MLS teams have real valuations and are real assets, so the players want a bigger piece of the pie. The richer owners want to be unleashed, but at the same time are signalling that they have money to spend. So maybe they've lost the battle, but it won't significantly stem the tide of growth, I think.

I've heard it said the players don't feel like they got enough in the last CBA and I wonder if they'll feel that way again. Last time it was the TAM/GAM shenanigans.

10. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    My understanding is that if MLS exceeds its current deal by $100 million/year, then the players get 25% of the excess. Given that the current deal is for $90 million per year, this means the players don't get anything unless the deal, which ends after the 2022 season, more than doubles in value. So, it's unclear whether the players will get much, if anything, and what they do get is at the back end of the new CBA. Nevertheless, it is a foot in the door for revenue sharing and I assume that's what the players wanted, hoping, like with free agency, that real progress on revenue sharing would start with the next CBA.

11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Big question is what our next TV deal will be like. MLS ratings remain abysmal. And I blame Garber for this - he is great at growing the league but a very poor marketer. Add in more competition for eyeballs that all the sports leagues are facing, fractured streaming platforms, ESPN not growing like in the past, US men flailing and producing meh stars. I could see our TV deal not growing at all unless it extends past the boost we will get for the 2026 WC being in the US.

12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year, Corona, Gonzales and F. Alvarez all came after opening day. So I'm hoping we'll see reinforcements continue to trickle in.

ProudNatRN, TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Guess it will depend how Pavon gets on with Chicharito. If they tear up the league, I guarantee we will sign Pavon well before August.

15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    TrickHog, hav77, MPNumber9 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For what it is worth, Kevin Baxter says the Galaxy are not on the hook for anything close to $20m for Pavon.

Geneva, Beakmon FC, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy Steve, TrickHog, mbar and 4 others repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Really hope the cb rumor pans out. Based on our current roster fivethirtyeight.com has us rated as the 2nd best offense in MLS, expected to score 1.8g/gm vs ave MLS team! :thumbsup: Sadly they also rate us as the 3rd worst defense in MLS, expected to give up 1.9g/gm. :(

TrickHog and ProudNatRN repped this.
  19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    So, so familiar.

TrickHog repped this.
  20. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

Still not done but we're moving in the right direction.

hav77 repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I sooooo want to cheer for an Argentinian named Alan. Go Alan, go Alan!!

El Futbolisimo and TrickHog repped this.
  22. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    I would have settled for GO POLENTA! but yeah, a nice young Argie CB that has gone through that league, Copa Sud, Libertadores and other assorted tourneys will also do. Glad to see Traore is still with us.

Some of you guys are watching the pre-season games. Are you guys at the games or watching it online or in some nefarious way? Youtube highlights is as close as I can get. Please share.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ProudNatRN, TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Below are our 14 highest paid players based on 2019 salaries, plus Chicharito. Add in Insua and you have all of the likely starters from our current roster. Wonder which positions are bringing up the rear?
    upload_2020-2-13_14-8-21.png

Follow the money - it tells the story of a severely imbalanced team.

25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    fingers crossed!