Official: 2020 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries. Can't stay fit and when he does play is nowhere close to what he was

barroldinho repped this.
  2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't agree about Zlatan being dependent upon aerial crosses. I remember numerous times when he gestured at Skjelvik, Romney, Antuna, Lletget and Feltscher that he wanted crosses to his feet.The only winger who passed to his feet when appropriate (on more than an occasional basis) was Pavon. I don't recall them changing this strategy when Zlatan wasn't in the game, which I think speaks more to their lack of quality then tactics

Lets face it the Galaxy wings with the exception of Pavon and Allesandrini were terrible crossers. It may be hyperbole, but to the best of my recollection, they seemed more likely to hit the ball completely over the box or passed the goal line then passed to a spot in the box. to someone in the box. I think its a credit to Zlatan that he did as well as he did with so many terrible crosses.

Now is Zlatan perfect hardly. He seems to have gotten lazier this year with more poor passes. Has he become a pain in the ass to many of his teammates? Certainly and he is definitely a grumpy old man on the pitch. But can his contribution be replaced by just a "good" mls striker, no way from hell.

The Beautiful Gamer and MPNumber9 repped this.
  3. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know most love him but, I'd sell/trade Lletget now while we can get something of value in return. I especially don't like him in the CAM role... imagine Modric there...
    [​IMG]

ShortyMac and MPNumber9 repped this.
  4. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is Modric out of contract? Why are people even mentioning him...lol

5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Pet Transfermarkt, Modric is on an expiring contract. He will be free to negotiate a new contract in Jan. He is 34 and will turn 35 next Sept. Out of 11 games this year, he started 1 was subbed in 4, injured for 5 and served a 1 game red card suspension.

I would like to think that he could reprise his dominant WC performance for a year or two in MLS. However, like many aging stars, it becomes difficult to determine if he is still capable of high level play or is breaking down. FWIW, he has 1 goal and 2 assists in his limited minutes.

hav77, The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops. I was thinking of Ola Kamara, but really any "good" MLS forward. Kei Kamara also works; he scored 14 goals in back-to-back seasons with the likes of Colorado and Vancouver. And he does hold the ball up and create space for his team. I'm not saying they're better chance creators, but they do more of the things strikers do to bring others into the game.

Either way, my point is he needs very specialized service. We seem to agree on that and it's reflected in the chart. He scores at a higher rate than they do with the same service, but you sacrifice team defense, space and shape as a result.,That's why even with a "poorer" striker we could be an overall better team.

Those are my thoughts, at least. As I've said elsewhere, if we could make Zlatan work and win a Championship, I'm all for it.

73Bruin repped this.
  7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Schelotto is already building for the future; he doesn't seem to be putting together the kind of squad or tactics to support Zlatan long-term, but something closer to what he's had at CABJ. That's just my outsider's guess, though. So it raises a few questions in my mind vis a vis the roster.

Will Zlatan go?

IMO, we move on from Zlatan, but I don't think it's a given. But saying he does, I'd bring in a hardworking, mobile and technical striker in the mold of Luis Suarez or Kun Aguero (or Ruidiaz). Someone with nice movement, that will press and run in behind the offside line. It'd be nice if they can also score from direct FKs. Preferably a star or a known name. Giroud is a name we've been linked to that would fit the mold. Chicharito is another, who would be a big name in this town. Had he come a few years ago, he'd have been a perennial golden boot contender, IMO but I haven't watched many of his club matches lately and his stats aren't amazing right now (though he's still good for Mexico).

Will Pavon play as the 10?
    At Boca and so far for us, Pavon has been more of a winger than a 10, but he is wearing the 10 shirt and was introduced as the maestro, so I wonder if he'll operate more centrally and score more goals next year. If so, Romain would play as more of a winger on the opposite side. If not, then I think you have to pay down Romain and bring in a DP 10. I've heard we've been linked to Ozil, which would not be a bad choice in that spot for example. Another pie-in-the-sky pick? Juan Mata.

Will Jonathan play as the defensive mid?
    At Boca, GBS had a stay-home DMID and we could use one here to allow Jonathan to do what he does best, which is box-to-box work. I wonder how Schelotto sees it? For me, its Jona and Sebastian shuttling, with Jona more advanced and someone anchoring beneath (Corona or Kitchen?). I'd like an upgrade there, but we're pretty tight on foreign spots. Make a play for Alfredo Morales?

Outside back
    Skeenix must go. I'd splash on a very good outside back for the left flank. Somebody with pedigree and lungs, a proven track record of creating from that position and being a reliable defender. Wouldn't be mad if it was a former great, like Ashley Cole. I actually really like Christian Fuchs, LB from Leicester or Antonio Valencia, when he converted there (on the right though, I believe). But I'm sure there are great candidates I've never heard of. I could stick with Feltscher / Araujo duking it out for top spot on the right.

8. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

9. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antuna was an upgrade over Boateng.

Berks, ShortyMac, JPAR and 8 others repped this.
  10. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    ProudNatRN, Berks, ShortyMac and 8 others repped this.
  11. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $225K in allocation money seems pretty good.

I like Romney and am glad he can go somewhere to be a starter.

12. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    225k in AM is OK business for Romney. With the new LB and Traore he was a little bit expendable.

But if it means we are sticked with Feltscher and Gonzalez and we only get one new defender (COG seems to imply that), I rather keep Romney who has a smaller salary and doesn't count as an international.

The Beautiful Gamer, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    No just no. This is a horrendous trade for us. Romney was never the problem. Dammit.

Romney can literally play anywhere along the back line and be trustworthy. Who can we possible replace Romney with for that price tag?

cleschke, ShortyMac, JPAR and 6 others repped this.
  14. natfaninla

natfaninla Member

Jan 18, 2005
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a good trade for Romney, though. Gives him a real chance to be a daily player.

15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to see Romney go. He played hard and gave it his all. While I can see why we were willing to let him go for $225k (will go a long way towards getting us a quality left back) it makes our defense weaker for the time being...

16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man. I love Romney precisely because he gave you everything he had everytime. He may only be a 7/10 player but you got 7 every single time. Our other players might be 8s or 9s but they often performed as 4s or 5s if you get what I'm saying.

Happy for him though.

Also happy that this is a sign that our FO is working right now and I don't think they make this move in a vacuum. They probably have plans and ideas of what they're trying to do. That was sorely lacking before DTK.

17. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    One additional factor that may have prompted this trade is the expansion draft. Romney has value as a cheaper domestic, but we might not have been able to protect him because of other priorities and because we can only leave unprotected a limited number of int'l players. Nashville is incentivized to pay a decent sum for him because it's possible either Miami takes him or we trade him to someone else before the expansion draft.

ragbone, Vindo310, Berks and 10 others repped this.
  18. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    This isn't really an indication of which way things are leaning on Zlatan for next year, but it's interesting to note that the LA Galaxy DA just signed Ibra's 2006 son to the team, even though the season started in August. He was playing with a local westside team before that. He scored 2 goals for the DA team in a 4-0 win over San Diego Surf DA on Saturday, only his second game with the team.

http://www.ussoccerda.com/sam/standings/ss/view_game_report.php?eventId=7190064&teamId=11995908

Schelotto's son is on the team too. No pressure on the DA coaches with those two parents on the sidelines.

Berks, JPAR, 73Bruin and 8 others repped this.
  19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Guy I know who works for the galaxy's season ticket department said Kitchen and Bingham also on the move very soon.

Berks, ShortyMac, JPAR and 6 others repped this.
  20. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t mind any of that other then the fact they are all Americans so presumably their replacements would have to be too. Unless there are some green cards about to come through.

Bingham may raise eyebrows. He was ok. He was never the problem. But maybe we have an upgrade in mind.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O Does GBS know he has to play at least some Americans? In America?

WarGalaxy, cleschke, ShortyMac and 7 others repped this.
  22. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So maybe Bingham has matured since his earlier days, but I know someone who is good friends with some of the SJ coaches and the word I got is that Bingham was an awful locker room presence and not a good teammate. Again, hope that was just him being young and naive and he's matured since then. But might help explain why he has never really had a confident defense in front of him....

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who should we protect? Not sure how many we get to protect, but here would be my order:

1. JDS
    2. Zlatan (probably contractual since he's signed to the end of the year)
    3. Alessandrini (same)
    4. Pavon
    5. Polenta
    6. Lletget
    7. Corona
    8. Steres
    9. Aruajo (if required - don't know the rules)
    10. Efrain (again if required - don't know the rules)
    11. Steres
    12. F. Alvarez
    13. Traore

ShortyMac, The Beautiful Gamer and hav77 repped this.
  24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    So Feltscher and Skjelvik's contracts are up in December. Romney is gone.

There is still that rumor that Calvin Verdonk will be joining us in January. This seems to be true since he is currently on loan with his loan expiring in January, and his contract officially up in the summer. I expect this to happen.

25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another way to look at it is we got compensation for a player that probably would have been taken in the expansion draft

Edit
    Yup, as @Benny Dargle mentioned

Edit 2