Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Oct 8, 2019.
There's a lot of talk of 2020 changes in the 2019 thread so I thought it'd be a good time for this.
I heard a rumor that some people were posting rumors about 2020 roster changes in the 2019 rumor thread. I don't feel comfortable revealing my source but I just thought I should get that out there.
Time to plan for 2020. If Zlatan goes (and I think he will) and Alessandrini either moves on or takes a TAM contract, then we have 2 DP contracts to work with.
And with Skdkfjdhd finally gone as well as Feltscher, we can finally get some good fullbacks.
OK, since I have to wake up in 30 minutes, I won't go to bed and share who I'll keep and who should be gone :
1. Bingham : not an elite MLS GK, not our biggest weakness. Very much like last year. It's not top priority to replace him, I'm not a fan but I can live with him starting next year.
2. Kitchen : he can stay as depth and at a much lower salary. However I wonder if he does have a contract for 2020 which could be a burden.
3. Polenta : our best defender this year, he must be more disciplined but I really want to see him with better defenders around him.
4. Romney : keep as depth.
5. Steres : same. As I say every year, Steres and Romney are not the problems of this team. They are not supposed to start, but they do because ultimately they are better than the starters. Very solid pieces of cheap depth.
6. Carrasco : gone, doesn't offer very much.
7. Alessandrini : obviously he won't come back as a DP. Very risky to count on him next year. If the cap raises up a lot, there might be a place for him.
8. Jona : is there anyone on earth who doesn't want to keep him?
9. Zlatan : thanks for all the memories, but time for a fresh start and switching our style of play.
10. Pavon : keep him but is he a DP next year? Keep him anyway but it could change our offseason (and the new CBA should too).
11. Favio : I'm not a big fan, he's good but I can guess he will never be great and lacks a little bit consistency. Keep him for midfield rotation but I wonder when his loan ends, it could change the situation.
12. Pontius : averages a goal or an assist every 139 minutes this year (135 last year). He's getting older but I like him, so keep him at a low salary.
14. Corona : a little bit disappointed about his season but looked better as the year goes on. Keep him in the rotation.
15. Traore : I don't know which injury (-ies) have kept him out so long. However, he's a top talent, keep him.
16. Skjelvik : horror show is over.
17. Lletget : keep him, and also deserves a raise. I see the progress and the potential he had before his injury is slowly coming back.
18. Antuna : not a fan, if he comes back as a depth option I'm OK.
19. Juninho : love you Juni, maybe GBS didn't give you a chance (I wonder if Carrasco is really better than him), but I fear the injuries have definitely killed him off. We needed him in the Leagues Cup and he wasn't available. Yes there is the spirit and everything but if he's always injured that's not enough to me.
20. Hilliard-Arce : I like him, good season for G2, keep him as cheap depth. But I feel the club is not high on him.
21. Gonzalez : I think it might be the biggest mistake of DTK so far. 1. we gave up 475k in TAM + 100k in GAM + a first round Draft pick to sign him, at a 650k salary. 2. he's not that good, and Steres might be better than him. 3. he may have a contract for next year. If we need money and an international roster slot (and we likely will), buy him out like we did with Gio.
22. Araujo : such a bright future, keep him.
25. Feltscher : not as bad as Skjelvik, but we need a better player.
26. Efrain : keep him, great talent but has to be better.
27. Cuello : good player in USL, step for MLS is too high.
28. Lampson : never been a fan, was good in Leagues Cup but terrible in MLS. Don't know what's next.
29. Zubak : worst player on the team, never thought he could have a chance with the first team.
41. Vom Steeg : young GK who's OK at third on the depth chart.
That’s the good news for sure.
Lots to figure out for our team though. I’d like to give Araujo the chance to be full time. Move on from Rolf and get a veteran back up.
Cuts will be coming soon
Rumor Is that Antuna is being bought by Chivas?
Good for him
Going to continue the discussion over Zlatan and upcoming moves here, as opposed to the last game thread.
I do agree with a few of the others that Zlatan isn't to blame for this. We were able to score multiple goals in most games this season... and we put three past the "greatest team in MLS history" every time we played them this year. But we also gave up 2, then 3, and then 5 against them.
IF we have better defense, we win more games.
But.... Zlatan's gravitational pull just seems to demand that everything be about him. I know we aren't going to get someone that replaces his 30 goals. But we can get a complimentary player that not only scores, let's say 10-15, but also allows 2-3 others to score 10 goals.... and in doing so we've replaced the sum total.
Watching that LAFC game, Zlatan didn't really seem to get into it until he scored. He isn't interested until it's all about him. I get his complaint that the rest of the team isn't up to the standards he needs to get the results.... he's not wrong about that.... but at the same time, I don't think we will do much better than what we saw this year, with him. As long as everything has to go through Zlatan, this is what we will get.
I'm wondering if even the defense gets better with a different, more team-oriented player, since Zlatan's immobility always meant less defensive work overall, but also... just the overall team mentality that everything was about him, meant less effort was going into team defensive structure. Not sure I can articulate this better right now, and I can think of pushback even as I write it, but anyway, I do have a suspicion that the team can do better without him, though it will take some upgrades in defense AND the right person filling the new role.
I saw a loan deal being discussed. Now a sale?
to the best of my knowledge, Angina is under contract to Man City through 6/30/22 and was only on loan to the Galaxy through the end of this season. Frankly, I can't see him making it to City's senior side anytime soon, if ever. He's just not strong enough and his passing sucks. I also seem to recall seeing that his MC salary was at a DP level. Transferring places his value at over $740k, based,I assume on his age and Gold Cup performance.
if Chivas wants him, I can't see the Galaxy getting to on loan again.
I just saw the headline. I’m not certain if Chivas is buying or loaning.
I laid out my thoughts on Zlatan comprehensively in the Zlatan thread. I won't revisit it, because it sounds like I'm coming off anti-Zlatan, and I'm not. Ibra has almost single-handedly delivered a few of the best sports moments of my life. There's no other player, hands-down, I would've rather had on this team for the start of this rivalry. Not even Ronaldo or Messi. I'm glad I got to see him play live and I regret he couldn't have won more here.
But Zlatan is 38, man. You can't build a team around a 38 y/o. Saying the rest of the team is not up to his caliber is no excuse; the basic rule of DPs is they have to make everyone else on the team better and Zlatan, for the most part, doesn't. Napoli may be able to hire Zlatan to stand in the box and have great attacking mids behind him, but MLS squads can't afford to that for the most part. A DP striker has to be able to create for themselves and others. Keane, Henry, Drogba etc. all met that standard. Donovan, Valeri, Vela, Pavon...the best DPs make other players more dangerous; Zlatan doesn't. He literally needs everyone on the team creating for him, instead of vice-versa.
Two players have scored more than Zlatan in MLS while he's been in MLS and while earning less money so I don't get the hand-wringing about finding someone to replace his goals. In the right system, another striker can be as effective as Zlatan and have a more a balanced team.
I agree with everything accept Kitchen. We can do better than him for the money we are paying him.
So far we've been linked with Calvin Verdonk (LB, FC Twente on loan from Feyenoord) and Alfredo Morelos (striker, Glasgow Rangers). Add another rumor :
1188669624562241536 is not a valid tweet id
I'd offer Alessandrini a 750k base contract with lots of incentives that could take him up to 1-1.2 million. I think he takes it. I don't want Alessandrini to leave. I might be living off memories, but he was the best winger in this league even when we were so bad. Him and Pavon would be fantastic.
Keep: Bingham, Lampson, Vom Steeg
Bingham is not the problem in this team. We conceded the most shots this season, and Bingham held his own. I think he is an above average MLS keeper. I mean we won a cup with Saunders as our keeper. Bingham is fine.
Keep: Steres, Romney, Arce, Troare, Polenta, Aruajo, and I guess Gonzalez since we have to
I'm tempted to give Aruajo the starting right back spot. He is good, and I think he will do well. Worst case we have Romney and Gonzalez as options there.
Gone: Skjelvik, Feltscher
Keep: Jonathan, Lletget, Corona, Alessandrini, Pavon, E. Alvarez, Kitchen if we can lower his contract a bit, Cuello because why not
Gone: Juninho but he has another year, Favio Alvarez is a loan which I don't want to extend, and Antuna. It's unlikely we will get Antuna again, and I don't think he is worth fighting that hard for. If we buy him, he'd be a DP which is not worth it.
Gone: Zubak and Ibra
I think it's time to move away from Ibra. It's abundantly clear that GBS was a striker who can press, and forcing Ibra into this team is ultimately hurting us. Thank you for the memories honestly.
So keep the team that started and gave up 5 goals to LAFC, except for Antuna and the guy who created 2 of our 3 goals? And then build our 2020 team around 10 of 12 players from the 5th worst defense in the league? The defense/gk corp that allowed 13 goals in the most important four game stretch of the season, 8 of them vs. non-playoff teams?
I hear and understand the anti-Ibra arguments but in general clearing out most of our goal scoring and keeping 85% of our shixxy defense sounds flawed to me.
I like Antuna and I think he's been very good for us this year. Has anyone noticed he has 6 goals and 5 assists on the season? Very solid production for a first year MLS pro @ 22. More than that, he presses tirelessly, recovers the ball a lot and draws lots of fouls in the final 3rd. I don't know what his situation is with us, but wouldn't mind having him back as back-up and situational starter.
Re: Bingham he was ranked 1st in MLS in saves and shots faced, top 5 in save %, 4th in this analysis, which looks at a wide range of GKer stats, including passing, errors and distance / difficulty of shots and 4th in this analysis, which compares actual goals against to expected goals against. For me, he's our defender of the year. I don't know that any other single defender performed to the level to be considered individually in the top 5 of all of MLS in their position.
Guys isn't Efrain Alvarez leaving for a Liga MX team?
1. Nope not saying that. Polenta is basically the only one I want to retain as a starter from that match. I am saying we need a new left back and center back to partner Polenta. I also want to give Aruajo a real chance. Steres and Romney as back up defenders.
2. I just don't think we can keep Antuna. He has interest in Mexico, and we won't be able to sign him unless City wants to loan him again. Due to MLS rules, we'd buy Antuna and he'd be classified as a DP because there is no way City sells for less than $1million.
3. 25% of the defensive starters. Steres and Romney are also sub options if I was GM, not starters.
Agree 100% with your first paragraph. As for the 2nd, well everyone knows my views on Bingham.
For the record, I'm not saying we should keep Bingham, necessarily. But someone will probably win the Cup this year with a poorer GK than Bingham was. To me, he's not a significant problem and he's earned his stripes for the team.
If we extend Pavon's loan he becomes a DP right? I think I remember having to pay a loan fee which for the next season which would bump him up
Zlatan to La Liga confirmed?! 👀🇪🇸 pic.twitter.com/SBsKm6JMLA— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) October 29, 2019
I guess the Zlatan saga won't last long...
Zlatan to La Liga confirmed?! 👀🇪🇸 pic.twitter.com/SBsKm6JMLA— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) October 29, 2019
Zlatan to La Liga confirmed?! 👀🇪🇸 pic.twitter.com/SBsKm6JMLA
We have Pavon till the end of 2020. We signed an initial 18 month loan deal for him with an obligation to buy at the end of the loan.
Pavon is not considered a DP for the 2020 season either.