Official: 2019 LA Galaxy II Season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LEM-LAG, Jan 5, 2019.

1. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    1-0 win against Sacramento, in a very important game for the playoffs race. First win at home since May 4, first shutout since June 1.

Kai Koreniuk scored the only goal of the game after a beautiful give and go with Cuello. Koreniuk has his flaws but is a real threat near the box.

Defense held his ground. Lopez was good, Shultz was strong, Ontiveros had some nervy moments but was mostly good. THA had a great game and was my MOTM. Him being good is a constant in USL, I really hope and think he has a place in the MLS roster.

Otherwise nobody really stood out, but nobody had a bad game. As often against Sacramento, game was heated (seven yellow cards), and it was not very pretty.

As for Sacramento, former Galaxy Jaime Villarreal started at DM and had a very good game, I'm glad he found a place where he's succeeding. Their manager is also a former G : Simon Elliott.

Next game is on Saturday against Real Monarchs SLC. Another six points contest for Los Dos.

2. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    3-1 win by Los Dos in a very important game against Real Monarchs SLC. With this result G2 are now fifth in the standings, which is really outstanding given where they were two months ago.

[​IMG]

Defense played a great game, allowing very few chances while choosing to leave possession to the visitors. Apart from five nervy minutes in the first half, Shultz, THA and Ontiveros had excellent games. Harvey was good too, I definitely see some improvements over the season.

Jose Hernandez was on fire against his former team, scoring the first goal and setting the tempo the whole game for Los Dos. Acheampong had a typical Acheampong game : an occasional great play (like his corner on the second goal) but for how many turnovers? I'm done with him, I rather have Iloski, Walker or Saldana in his place, but all seem injured or with the USYNT for Saldana.

Koreniuk was once against a real threat, dominating his side for the first twenty minutes and creating the first goal after a great dribble.

Subs had a great impact : Ivan Gutierrez scored just seconds after entering in what was just his second substitute appearance (but he looked bad overall, so calm down), and Jorge Hernandez was once again great despite playing in a 8 role, which doesn't suit him well IMO.

Next game is away at Phoenix, which is by miles the better team in USL so I don't expect a big result. But we looked very good against them a few weeks ago so why not?

3. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Game at League leader Phoenix starting in a few minutes. Lineup :

[​IMG]

4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, anyone following, last I heard Phoenix were on an 18 game winning streak. 538 had them ranked above several MLS clubs. Interesting club.

skydog repped this.
  5. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    #155 Benny Dargle, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    With G2 down 4-1, the Game was called in the 80th minute because some Pheonix fan threw a beer can at Eric Lopez. Apparently, it hit him in the nose and Lopez was injured. Some speculated his nose was broken.

There's a question about whether fhe result will hold or Phoenix will be penalized.

TrickHog repped this.
  6. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    The USL just released a statement the result will hold.

On the soccer side of the game, Phoenix is a great, great team and was undoubtly the better side. They indeed play better than a few MLS teams, not saying they're better overall but their possession game is great for an USL team.

Phoenix scored three goals before HT. Los Dos had a better second half but the Phoenix defense easily controled the Galaxy 2 offenses. Zubak and Jorge Hernandez were subbed in at HT and I think they played a role in it.

The only player who could say "I had a good performance" was Koreniuk. He created a few dangerous situations from his left side and scored the only G2 goal on a deflected shot. The only player capable of create some danger scored, so not surprising. Eight goals for Koreniuk this year.

THA had a night to forget, worst performance of the year. DePuy was meh at best but was our best defender. The game showed why guys like Fiddes, Acheampong, Williams and Tchilao can't make it at the MLS level.

Next two games are at home against San Antonio and Oklahoma. Two wins are very possible.

TrickHog, skydog and MPNumber9 repped this.
  7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #157 skydog, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Actually above most MLS clubs. Their 538 SPI ranking* would put them 4th in MLS and slightly better than PHI??!! That stretches credulity but OTOH their +58 goal differential sounds like it could be some kind of USL record. Currently Phoenix are to USL as PSG has been to Ligue 1 in recent seasons.

* I've noticed some data integrity issues with the 538 soccer club ranking website over the past few days. The Galaxy goal differential is -5 right now and has been so for four days, but they have it as -2 today and -3 yesterday? First time I've seen problems with their Galaxy data. I commented about it on the site and emailed Nate Silver.

TrickHog and MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  9. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Very important game against San Antonio in a few minutes.

[​IMG]

Strong lineup. G2 loanee Frank Lopez is starting for SA, BJ4 is not in the 18.

TrickHog repped this.
  10. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  11. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Holly shit! What a goal by Jorge Hernandez!

And a few seconds later Frank Lopez punishes his former club after a great dummy.

12. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    1-1 in a game G2 didn't deserve to win. They played the second half at 11 vs. 10 after a San Antonio red card, but struggled to create some offense during the whole game and Eric Lopez was even forced to make some good stops in the second half.

Frank Lopez, who's on loan from G2 to San Antonio, scored their goal and was a real threat on the pitch. I was mad because he played for Los Dos during the last one and a half year so everybody in the team knows him and how he likes to high press, and he still managed to steal the ball from THA and Lopez in very dangerous situations. Otherwise THA made a few emergency defending. DePuy and Fiddes did OK.

Jose Hernandez didn't have his best game as he was unable to connect the defense with the attack. I'm not convinced by Saldana yet, who's a possession machine but doesn't recover the ball a lot and doesn't look to have a good vision.

Attack was also terrible, as Koreniuk was invisible during the first half and decent in the second. Gutierrez made a good impact in the second half and Jorge Hernandez was very close to add a second goal following one of his crosses. Zubak is still a fraud at this point.

Very important game next week against Oklahoma. And watch Jorge Hernandez golazo :

13. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  14. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    5-1 win against Oklahoma. Professional performance by G2 who didn't panic after conceding an early goal. Big win in the playoff race. Los Dos is now 8th in the standings, 2 points above the red line but just 3 points behind the 4th place.

Great performance by our four defenders, but once again THA was slightly better than the others. Vom Steeg hadn't much to do.

I criticized Saldana last week and I will do it again this week : Adam was our worst player and was at fault on the OKC goal after a dumb back pass. Otherwise nothing really interesting from the young man.

Zubak was sometimes frustrating in the run of play but credit to him for scoring two goals with two composed finishes. Koreniuk scored a GOTY candidate but was mostly bad overall. That's what you get with Koreniuk : he'll try to dribble and it doesn't work that often but if he's on, watch out because the cross or the shot following will likely be dangerous.

I've seen a few games of Kamara and he's an interesting player : he likes to dribble a lot and has a unique style : he seems slow but at the last moment accelerate his movement ant it works quite often. He looks sharp in the final third. But I have my concerns, as he seems to try too much to dribble and it often slows down the play. I don't think he will have much more time to do this in MLS. He's the definition of a diamond to polish.

Subs had a great impact : Jose Hernandez was excellent at controlling the tempo and finding spaces against a tired defense, Gutierrez looked very composed and Williams scored a goal after following a shot from Kamara saved off the line.

Next game is on Wednesday at Sacramento, who's just one point above us in the standings.

At least watch the highlights to see Koreniuk's wondergoal :

AZUL GALAXY, natfaninla and TrickHog repped this.
  15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    G2 just got a 2-2 draw at Sacramento. Los Dos were very close to come home with the three points but the home team scored a late goal. Draw is still a good result though.

[​IMG]

On the negative notes, I didn't like Lopez performance, as he was too shy to come off his line and didn't catch any of the numerous crosses Sacramento did at the end. Saldana once again lost a ball he shouldn't have lost in the midfield leading to Sacramento first goal. He doesn't look ready for USL at all.

THA was once again our best defender though DePuy had a great second half. Ontiveros had his best game at the DM position, very positive night from him. Jorge Hernandez was solid, ditching good passes to the attackers. Jose Hernandez was once again a quality sub. Iloski on the bench is a great news too, as he may come back from injury.

Kamara, Zubak (the two goal scorers) and Koreniuk had their usual flaws but were decisive too. Kamara was very frustrating as he kept the ball too much but created the first goal and scored the second. He could be a great player but he has to release the ball quicker.

Overall what I've liked since Junior Gonzalez hiring is that we manage better our weaker and our better times. We often manage to not collapse when we are on a bad span (the first half was terrible but we scored on our only opportunity), and keep possession to build momentum and to score when we dominate.

Next game on Saturday at Colorado, which is second to last in the standing. Three points are required then the end of the season could be less stressing.

natfaninla and TrickHog repped this.
  16. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    #166 LEM-LAG, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Terrible result at Colorado, the penultimate side in the standings : 2-0 loss. The Switchbacks run through Los Dos midfield too easily and exposed the slowness of our central defenders. Fortunately, other results came our way and G2 are still 9th in the standings.

Koreniuk Zubak Kamara
    Jose Hernandez Iloski
    Ontiveros
    Fiddes DePuy THA Shultz
    Lopez​

All defenders had a bad game. Ontiveros and Jose Hernandez had an off night. Iloski for his first game in months reminded us how good and clever he is, but was subbed off at halftime (maybe not fit yet). He was replaced by Jorge Hernandez who didn't have much impact because Colorado pressed him very high and Jorge is not physical enough to compete against bigger players.

All Jose Hernandez, Koreniuk and Kamara had early chances who could have changed the face of the game. Kamara is so skilled but lacks soccer IQ, it's frustrating.

Next game is next week at second place Fresno, but they just lost to last place Tacoma Defiance. And then the last game of the regular season is at home against El Paso Locomotive.

17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to Traore?

18. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

It's the last I have on him. He didn't make the bench recently. He would be an instant upgrade over Fiddes if he comes back for the last games of the season.

TrickHog and Dr.Phil repped this.
  19. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    G2 have a game tonight at 7.30 PM at Fresno. Clutch match in the playoff race.

Los Dos Twitter account posted a picture of the team a week ago :

[​IMG]

Hilliard-Arce and Zubak are on the picture even if they are signed to the first team. Both have played a lot with G2 this year.

Two players are missing : Panamanian midfielder Ernesto Walker and defender Michael Gallagher. I made a few searches and Walker has been recalled from his panamanian club in August (he was on loan). I didn't find anything on Gallagher. Both are not on the roster on Galaxy's website anymore but I don't remember Galaxy announcing these two departures.

20. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    [​IMG]

Wow, Gonzalez going all in with Cuello and Jorge Hernandez starting. Our midfield looks very porous, Saldana has to wake up and have a big game.

21. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    2-2 draw at Fresno. Fair result with a very professional game from Los Dos, who were clearly the better side during the second half. They conceded a late PK through an Ontiveros foul, but bounced back well and scored a stoppage time goal from a Kamara header. Overall a good performance, the team weathered the storm when needed and pushed hard in the second half when Fresno were a little bit on their knees.

Cuevas replaced Fiddes just before the game started (I didn't hear anything but I believe it was an injury) and had a mixed game. His marking on the first Fresno goal was bad, but he crossed a good ball on Kamara's equalizer. Overall it consolidates what I saw of him : very comfortable with the ball but defense has to get better. Still, he's just 16 years old (I thought he was a little bit older), so a lot of time to learn.

DePuy had a stellar game. Ontiveros also had a good one till the penalty call. Before the match I said Saldana had to have a good game, and I thought he was fine indeed. Won a few balls, OK at short passes. He's been called for the U17 WC this week, hopefuly Carlos Harvey will come back (I guess he's injured) because without them we are short at DM.

Cuello scored on a deflected shot but also lost the ball in his own half on the first Fresno goal. Overall I'd say it was a good performance but I won't surprise you if I say I have my doubts if he can handle the speed and the physicality of MLS one day.

Kamara had a terrible first half but credit to him for fighting until the last minute to score the equalizing goal. Koreniuk had some nice opportunities but was unlucky at finishing. Zubak is still Zubak : finishing is good for the USL (but not that great), but he's often terrible otherwise.

TrickHog repped this.
  22. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    With this draw playoffs look more and more likely. G2 have a final game at home against El Paso Locomotive next Saturday. It depends from the other teams results but a win should be enough to reach the postseason.

If you miss your Galaxy and have a little bit of time, watch the full game against Fresno : there are a lot of interesting things from first team players, and potential future first team players...

FlapJack, natfaninla and TrickHog repped this.
  23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

@LEM-LAG what do you think?

24. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I think one player could have won both MVP and DOTY categories, it's Tomas Hilliard-Arce, who was slightly better and more consistent than DePuy. But I don't know if his first team contract prevents him from getting this type of awards. Sometimes I feel we're sleeping a little bit on THA, who may not be a world beater but a solid MLS depth option.

Otherwise I agree, my top 3 would probably be THA, Koreniuk and DePuy (in no particular order). Brian Iloski was great when he played but missed a couple of months because of an injury. GK Eric Lopez also had a nice season.

I talked a few times about DePuy, a former defender/forward in college who's a big guy who anticipates a lot. On the Galaxy website you can see pictures of him training with the first team this week, it would be 0 surprise for me if he signs with the first team this winter. Same situation as Steres a few years ago.

I like Koreniuk, a very offensive winger (right-footed but mostly plays on the left) with a nose for goal. Talent is here and he has a lot of upside IMO, but remember one thing : there isn't any offensive G2 player who succeeded at the MLS level. The step is considerable. In the past we had guys like McBean, Lassiter, Rugg, Jamieson, Hoffman, Zubak... Neither had an impact at the top level. Efrain was dominating USL one year ago, and he's often struggling in MLS with one more year under his belt.

Anyway I will do a review of every Los Dos player at the end of the year.

Baysider repped this.
  25. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Tonight is Los Dos final game of the regular season, they host El Paso Locomotive. The young guns have the chance to reach the playoffs for the first time since 2016. They currently sit in 9th place, and can finish 9th to 11th. The ten best teams will qualify for the postseason, so the situation is simple for Los Dos : beat El Paso (6th in the standings) and you're in. Otherwise, count on San Antonio (10th) and New Mexico (11th) to fail...

If they reach the playoffs, G2 will have to play their first game away, and most likely every game on the road. I don't expect a big run but maybe they can pass one round.

Anyway, they will be without they head coach Junior Gonzalez, who was sent off during last game at Fresno.

TrickHog repped this.