Official: 2019 LA Galaxy II Season

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by LEM-LAG, Jan 5, 2019.

1. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think you provided the answer to my question almost 2 months before I asked it. Judging by this post, there was ample reason for DTK to fire him. Thanks.

TrickHog repped this.
  2. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Following up on the post above, it what Munoz did makes sense if you want to make Europe seem more attractive then the Galaxy or GII as they aren't necessarily being given the time to develop at the GII level. I can see DTK and GBS being frustrated.

3. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Game against Tulsa in half an hour. Starting lineup featuring Jorge Hernandez and Cuevas, with a lot of unknown names on the bench (likely Academy players) :

[​IMG]

TrickHog repped this.
  4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not watch a lot of games this season but I liked the pace we played tonight. Junior Gonzalez looks like he has an identity he wants to play that is closer to what the first team play. He needs to find consistency in his lineup formations and play which Munoz never seemed to be able to do

Pressed high on defense and tried to posses the ball and move quickly on offense.

Schultz started in the midfield on the right hanging on the end line and got a goal. Thought he looked more comfortable when moved to his more traditional fulback role in the 2nd half.

I like hernandez...i mean J hernandez...I mean Jose Hernandez. He drifts. Controls and moves the ball.

The young acedmy kids looked good. Jorge Hernandez, Vera, Lopez, Gonzalez, Saldena and Cuevas didn't look out of place.

Lucas Gonzalez assisted Jorge H on his first touch in the game

Baysider and TrickHog repped this.
  5. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    3-1 win by Los Dos. I agree with most of Dr. Phil said, but don't forget we played the second worst team in the Western Conference, and indeed they looked bad.

We actually tried to play some possession game but you could feel the lack of offensive talent : Shultz is a RB who played as winger, Vera lack of vision is terrible (he looked anonymous, sorry Dr. Phil), Williams is "just" a target man. Jose Hernandez had a good game (and a few good performances lately) but I don't think he will be good enough at the highest level : reliable player with some rare flashes but lacking physical and doesn't have something "special".

MOTM was Jorge Hernandez, with a great run and a great assist on the first goal (funny but very important move from Williams on this one), and also scoring the third goal. His play is risky by nature and he sometimes loses the ball too much, but he's one of the rare players in this team capable of creating something. Play him!

Otherwise, Cuevas looked OK and comfortable with the ball. Gallagher, after an early defensive error, looked good. And as Dr. Phil said, Lucas Gonzalez getting his first assist on his first touch in his first USL game is a beautiful story.

Next game on Sunday at Portland.

Dr.Phil, Baysider and TrickHog repped this.
  6. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Cuevas and Saldana are the ones to keep an eye on for the future. Both are well regarded at the youth national level. My hope is for them to be starters next year for the entire USL season and then maybe get some MLS minutes the next year.

TrickHog repped this.
  7. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Is there a reason Kobi Hernandez-Foster isn't getting any playing time with Los Dos? I thought he had more potential than Saldana.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He may be trialing overseas. I doubt that he will sign with us.

WarGalaxy and Beep Boop Robot repped this.
  9. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Certainly good enough, but you have to think playing for Los Dos for a year or two before he turns 18 would be better than playing academy games in Europe.

10. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    2-1 win at Portland last Sunday. Great result against a Timbers team that featured a lot of first team players (Miller, Tuiloma, Conechny, Asprilla, Williamson, Polo, McIntosh all started). Solid performance from G2 but a little bit lucky, GK Eric Lopez had a great game (easy MOTM, notably stopped a PK) and Jose Hernandez scored a last-second goal on a deflected shot after collecting a rebound off the bar.

That said, I definitely see a few improvements since the coaching change, with more useful possession, short passes and clever runs in the final third.

[​IMG]

Credit to Zubak on the opening goal, but the limitations are still here : pure striker bad at possession game, who can sometimes bang a goal.

Harvey had a great game and was almost everywhere, maybe his best performance this year. Cuello looked good until the last minutes, he must have been exhausted after the midweek game against Tijuana. Vera was also good, just had to hustle and help to maintain possession, leaving the creativity to Cuello.

Not the best night from DePuy, being beaten on the play which lead to the PK (though it was a dive) and not the best defending on the Asprilla goal. That said, great lofted boal on the Zubak goal. Ontiveros had a good game in a unnatural LB position. Young Mexican Ivan Gutierrez (recently signed from Chivas) made his debut.

After two road wins this week, G2 will return home to face first-place Phoenix on Saturday. Should be a tough one.

skydog, TrickHog, Dr.Phil and 2 others repped this.
  11. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    TrickHog and Dr.Phil repped this.
  12. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Dr.Phil and TrickHog repped this.
  13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrickHog repped this.
  14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    2-3 loss at home against Phoenix yesterday. What a waste. Los Dos was the best team the majority of the time, had some great chances but confidence faded after a gifted goal in the second half. It's really disappointing because G2 was on par with the best team in the USL, who also was on a 11-game winning streak (!).

[​IMG]

DePuy and Lopez were solid. Fiddes had a great game except for the last minutes when he played as right wingback (which is still a bad idea). Disappointing night from THA, solid during the first 60 minutes but faded like the whole team after the first Phoenix goal and failed to make an effective clearance on the second and on the third goals. Not an examplary performance from the Captain.

Harvey also had a great game except for the bad pass who lead to the first Phoenix goal. He's improving but you can't do this at any level. I felt Efrain Alvarez didn't gave anything but is still talented enough to create danger (drawing and scoring a PK).

Zubak missed an early one-on-one against the keeper after a great through ball by Jorge Hernandez, and scored a good goal a few minutes later after a good cross from... Jorge Hernandez. Augustine Williams on his birthday also missed a one-on-one with the keeper (following a great through ball, this time by Acheampong, back from injury). Overall too many dubious decisions in the final third by a lot of players, including Vera, Shultz, Harvey... Many regrets about this game.

Next game on Saturday at Austin. If you have time watch the replay of the Phoenix game, entertaining match with a few good things from Los Dos.

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1158836313623289857 is not a valid tweet id

Kobe played for the US U17

73Bruin, ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  17. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Well I am happy to hear that Kobe Hernandez-Foster has been practicing playing with the US U-17 team rather than trialing in Europe. Hopefully the Galaxy can sign him to a G-2 contract soon. I am sick of the self-serving dealings of the Munoz brothers.

I wonder how much Gary Munoz got when Freiburg SC sold Alex Mendez's rights to Ajax. Somehow, I am willing to bet it was more that 10% of whatever Alex is getting.

WarGalaxy and The Cadaver repped this.
  18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?! Galaxy II are in town to play Austin Bold and I just now finding out!! It's on TV down here so I can catch some on TV (sorry, competing with a football game I'd like to see) - but had I known they were in town I would have withstood the heat and gone to see them. I have got to pay more attention.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  20. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    3-1 win at Austin. G2 looked completely lost in the first half, always behind the play and making a lot of fouls, and unable to create some danger. It was symbolized by two players : Acheampong, who made so many stupid fouls that he was lucky to not be sent off (rightfully replaced by Saldana at halftime), and Harvey, who was inconsistent and lost very easily his man on the corner kick which lead to Austin goal.

But Los Dos looked much better in the second half. They were very professional : keep things simple with short passes (that's not tiki-taco but still better than almost everything I saw during Munoz era), losing time when it was needed, and keep being calm when the game became heated, as Austin got two red cards in the second half. Harvey scored on a long range shot 30 seconds in the second half, Williams scored a PK drawn by Jorge Hernandez after a good nutmeg, and Koreniuk added a third in stoppage time following a good cross by Jose Hernandez.

Eric Lopez once again made some decisive saves, he's on a very hot streak. THA and Ontiveros looked solid. Ontiveros versatility is interesting (looked OK through the season at DM, RB, LB and CB) but he could suffer from not having a clear spot.

Jose Hernandez has been very reliable during the last few games, not as impressive as Iloski can be sometimes, but looks very calm and may be one of the reason our possession game is much better now. Shultz has been better than I expected as a winger but come on, it's a waste to put Koreniuk on the bench.

We look much better since Junior Gonzalez's hiring. Team looks more organised and composed, and knows how to do to advance the ball. You can feel the lack of talent sometimes but I get the impression our performances are more in accordance with our group of players. Since his hiring we lost two home games against the top two teams in the West (in narrow games), but also won three road games in three road trips. Team is currently in seventh place, but other teams have a few games in hand.

Next game on Saturday at New Mexico, another solid team who's just one point above us in the standings.

21. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Seriously, this team looks solid :

Koreniuk Zubak Jorge Hernandez
    Iloski Jose Hernandez/Vera/Walker
    Harvey
    Traore DePuy THA Shultz
    Lopez/Vom Steeg​

With some reliable players like Gallagher, Ontiveros and Williams on the bench. Not counting young prospects like Cuevas and Saldana. Not also counting new players like Gutierrez and Kamara. Not even counting some young first team players who sometimes play with Los Dos like Efrain and Cuello.

Like I said, there's not top talent everywhere but some players could end in the first team.

22. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    WarGalaxy, Dr.Phil, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I would LOVE a first team keeper with quick reflexes.

24. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    2-2 draw at New Mexico. Heroic performance from Los Dos, who played the entire second half at 10 vs. 11 after Saldana's red card. The youngster drew two cautions in exactly the same play : making a foul after being late on a counterattack... You can't make this error two times in a game, hopefully he'll learn.

[​IMG]

Eric Lopez easily drew MOTM honor, he was simply outstanding, making stops after stops (including a PK). He's on an incredible form, I really have high hopes for the future. THA was once again very solid, and once again our best defender.

NNew defender Shaibu made his debut in the second half and botched a clearance who lead to the equalizing PK. Mohammed Kamara got his first start and was much more impressive, scoring a great early goal (watch the highlights!), and also looking to have a stunning acceleration. I want to see more!

It's astonishing how Jose Hernandez is looking more and more like the heart and the soul of this team.

DePuy and Koreniuk were subbed off at HT. From a tactical standpoint I can understand for Koreniuk but it can also mean they will have a role to play against Cruz Azul (both were on the roster for the Tijuana game).

Los Dos are back in two weeks with a home game against Sacramento.

25. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Game against Sacramento in less than an hour. Cuello, Kamara, Koreniuk and Zubak starting, if we don't see goals I don't understand.

[​IMG]

WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.