Alert: Official 2019-2020 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Oct 21, 2019.

?

Are you excited for Season 2?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2020.
  1. Yes

35.7%
  2. HELL YES

54.8%
  3. meh.

4.8%
  4. No

2.4%
  5. HELL NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I ship Crew (Binge all episodes of season 1 at least 19.96 times during the break ) worth 0 points

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Again with this anime sh1t?! Gosh Big J you are annoying!!!!

2.4%
  1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that still even a thing? They haven't updated their site in several years.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that kind of smells bad. Theres more to this story than just that shes tired of having a job.

In any case, when someone of her stature leaves on good terms, youd expect the club to at least issue a boilerplate "Thanks for your efforts, good luck, you'll always be a part of the family blah blah blah"

This is very fishy.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stature with us fans, yes. Perhaps not so much with the new folks, as they weren't here then. Might be as simple as that.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Is this is where the professionalism and class that we were promised would be part of how Truck Stop Jimmy and the gang run the Crew starts to shine?

I'm sure we'll see the tribute to Arica in no time.

Jim Bach repped this.
  5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the conspiracy theorist in me, this line line from her tweet jumped out:

Whether you agree with the claim (or grammar) isn't the point. But we know there's been talk about a club re-brand, and that Erica is someone for whom the history of the cub matters deeply. I just wonder if she's aware that the club is about to embark in a direction (understand, she's been VP of Marketing) that she cannot buy into. Note that while the Crew website still lists her as being on staff, she's changed her LinkedIn profile to show that she no longer works for the club.

6. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    Thats such a good point, and I hate to be THAT guy but screw it I'd just really really like to know more if possible: @GoCrew1996 any updates on the rebrand that was being considered?

7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting take.

However the team did rebrand itself in 2014 or so, from Colum us Crew to Crew SC and a new logo. Isn't it more likely that shes referring to that?

In any case, b) if she's leaving because she disagrees with an ongoing project, would she then list that same project as an accomplishment that she is proud of? Plus, she calls the rebrand "successful" which would mean it's something that is all done and launched, not something which is still being drawn up

the_rickler repped this.
  8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I've never met Arica but here's a wacky theory. Maybe she wanted to say bye to the fans without broadcasting her personal life on social media. It's a crazy concept these days but it might just be true.

9. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I agree with Bill on this one. Here's part of her LinkedIn information that seems to point to this.

Senior Director Marketing & Promotions
    Dates EmployedJan 2013 – Dec 2014
    Employment Duration2 yrs
    LocationColumbus, Ohio area

• Successfully rebranded the Columbus Crew, the first club in Major League Soccer, after 19 years to Columbus Crew SC with a dynamic, collaborative plan to launch the new brand that received an overwhelming positive response from fans, media and supporters.

Bill Archer repped this.
  10. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After all these years, I am still not sure whether you guys are certifiably crazy or incredibly intelligent.

Perhaps not a dichotomy but both.

DGA57v2 repped this.
  11. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sad to she her go. i liked arica a lot. great person, true crew fan.

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot perpetually inebriated

TKyle, puttputtfc and DGA57v2 repped this.
  13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, that's exactly what I was referring to. I think she drove the in-house 2014 re-brand, sees it as being terrifically successful, and is very proud of that accomplishment.

What I was wondering was something more sinister: That she's aware that the club is about embark upon a more aggressive re-brand that will overturn a quarter-century of history (as the Fire recently have done), as well as the work she's previously done, and she wants nothing to do with it, both because she disagrees with "disrespecting your roots" in this way, and feels it would be hugely unpopular with fans.

She brings up the successful 2014 re-brand that she guided (and got little recognition for) in order to place in greater contrast the much more shocking re-brand that's in the works.

Pure speculation, I admit. But why leave when the club is on the cusp of moving into a new stadium and into MLS 3.0? Why leave without, evidently, another job lined up? Look, if she left because she was snapped up with a far richer club in a far richer league, I could understand it. But that doesn't seem to be what's happened.

DGA57v2 and Bill Archer repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably more that the new guy wants his own people. I've seen that at work once or twice.

15. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or maybe she is leaving work to start a family and wants to be private about it.

speculation on my part, obviously.

Minnman and Bill Archer repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa now. Let's pump the brakes a second Kimo

First of all, "social media" is exactly where she posted that message. Short of taking out bill boards alongside I71, that's about as public as it can be.

Secondly, nobody that I'm aware of here is saying Jack Shit about her "personal life". The topic - which again SHE put into play - is her professional life.

Maybe I'm missing some subtle context here, or maybe I'm just dumb but I dont get what you're saying.

17. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing against her, I don't know her. I know her work. I think the rebrand is fine. But, if she's been the hear of marketing for a bunch of years, we haven't exactly set the world ablaze with successes. Maybe it is just time to part ways and reinvigorate the marketing department. There is a hell of a lot of work to do there.

18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, one wonders what she had to work with under PSV and HSG. And she didn't run the marketing show during her whole time with he Crew. I mean, the re-brand was in-house, not necessarily because that was the best option (though we certainly could have done much worse), but because Precourt was the one funding the effort.

Whats odd, too, is that she actually worked for the Browns, back in the day (2001-2006). Obviously, years before Jimmy Haslam bought the team, but still.

19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take this for what it's worth. She "liked" my tweet wishing her well but has not "liked" the follow up.

20. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are all trying to read way too much into stuff.

Now excuse me while I go see which posts IM has liked recently :D

21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I don't know what the budget was. I do know that more is often better than less. I also know that promotion from within can go a couple of ways. Rewarding internal talent can motivate the troops. But when all those troops are gone, what are you left with? An empty department run by someone that started at the bottom. While certainly a Crew die-hard, is she an elite level marketing exec of a major sports franchise? I don't know, but the results of the marketing campaigns over the lastl 5+ years aren't exactly the stuff of legend.

Maybe a mutual parting of ways is the way forward.

the_rickler and Kyle Crew repped this.
  22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know her, so I’ll keep this in general terms.

I often feel that professional Ohio sports teams are run rather amateurishly. I don’t know if its a small market mentality thing, a midwestern attitude thing, or something else, but I look around the state and it’s just baffling. From the Browns and Bengals to the Crew, it’s amateur hour and has been for a very long time. Hockey lost me as a fan after the second lockout, and I just don’t care about baseball, so I have no opinion about CBJ, Reds, or Indians. Looking at the Cavs, without LeBron falling into their laps, not once but twice (!!), it’s plain to see how that organization is run.

I’ve often felt that the Crew aren’t run as professionally as they could be, and to Precourt’s credit, bringing in Loughnane (formerly of the Pistons and somewhere else I think) looked like a good move for a while.

I don’t want the Haslams to just fill the Crew org full of people who aren’t good enough for a pathetic NFL team in Cleveland so they come here, that’s not much better. I’m not really sure what the answer is TBH, but I do feel confident in saying that a complete organizational overhaul is needed (at the top levels at least). We can hate on Garber all we want, but he wasn’t wrong about our terrible business metrics, and anyone who can even muster the breath to say those bullshit just has yellow tinted glasses on. A change is needed.

zman31, LaMacchia and the_rickler repped this.
  23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. What are the tea leaves saying?

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm saying this is the new director of marketing.

[​IMG]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Archer and hangthadj repped this.
  25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I understand your frustration but MLS is minor league in the American landscape. If you are working in the FO it's a springboard to a better job.

What makes MLS unique is single entity where the league HQ tips the scale for certain teams. We have been the piss ant team of a minor league since Lamar passed away. Of course, it isn't just Columbus FO. Do you really think Kraft or Blank has their top talent working for MLS or NFL?