Official: 2018 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Sep 21, 2017.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you'd rather talk to your crazy born-again Trump voting uncle than discuss the Galaxy with people on Bigsoccer......

mbar repped this.
  2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I can reconcile the two arguments re: Jones as thus--

He can be an excellen player, and when in form and on the field might be worth his price tag and can be a tremendous asset, but age and a propensity for picking up silly cards has limited his ability to help us and when added to the series of bad decisions from our disaster of a FO, we end up with the worse season in Galaxy history.

3. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I am always hesitant to discuss Jones because a lot of us have strong opinions on him.

I was very happy when we announced Jones. I know a lot of people were apprehensive, but I thought it was a good signing despite his injury trouble.

The beginning of the season was rough. He got hurt, and Onalfo seemed to give him a free role? Or Jones just flat out ignored Onalfo because Jones was playing everywhere. At one point Onalfo had him as our #10. It didn't work. I remember we went on a great run of form when Jones got hurt or suspended.

Then sigi took over and made Jones our dedicated #6. Jones looked a lot better there. He made some really stupid challenges and made some mistakes, but he looked like a whole new player. Seemed more comfortable knowing where he should be. He also looks like he is starting to understand how to play with JDS more which is very good.

I am torn on what to do with Jones. Guy is a mad man, but it's clear he still has quality. He has made some ridiculously good passes that resulted in goals, and great chances. I think Jones with a better defense behind him would also mellow Jones out a bit more. A lot of his challenges might have been down to him panicking allowing offenses to attack our weak defense, but I could just be making excuses for him because I want him to succeed since I know he was such a good player.

I dont know. I think we have more pressing issues than Jones that need to be addressed first. If we managed to sign new defenders, and a new striker, and somehow still have room to make a trade or deal to get rid of Jones, then go for it. We also have Pedro who seems to be a waste at this point. Is he a DM, or is he a box to box guy? Either way, it seems like Pedro is not needed at this point. Even Husidic seemed like a better option.

mbar, TrickHog, MPNumber9 and 2 others repped this.
  4. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Pedro sitting in the team's suite (above Sec 102) last game. Kinda sad.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad for him?
    or Sad for us?

rokstedy, Beakmon FC and Dr.Phil repped this.
  6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigi admits that Jona is better deeper. I hope that ends the experiment of playing him higher up the pitch as a #10.

I thought he was better because he was deeper. We talked before the game about sometimes I think he runs too much,” Schmid said. “He could do more by doing a little less sometimes and finding the right pockets. And I think today he did a pretty good job of finding those pockets and being in closer connection with Jermaine [Jones]. That allowed him to come later into the play and then it’s easier to find passes and play balls in.”

Dos Santos’ midfield partner Jones praised the Mexican star and admitted that things are starting to come together.

“We all know Jona is a good player. I think over the whole game we played a good 90 minutes,” Jones said. “We still need to be able to finish the game.”

https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2017/...e-la-galaxy-after-strong-showing-against-real

TrickHog, WarGalaxy and Dr.Phil repped this.
  7. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My thoughts on Jones.
    I wasn't thrilled when he was signed because I thought it wasn't a move building for the future - it was a stopgap move in a rebuilding year. But I thought he'd be effective. Frankly, he wasn't. However, as said, under Onalfo for whatever reason he never played a dedicated #6 (because he didn't want to or wasn't told to? idk) and that was a big part of his ineffectiveness. The other being injuries and rash challenges.

So my opinion hasn't changed - Jones isn't going to be on the field enough to build on for next year; however, I can't argue with how effective he's been playing the 6 for Sigi. He's had some slip ups, but he has one huge thing going for him - he's a known quantity and he's on our team already, and Sigi seems to be able to get him to play effectively.

So as a GM, he's a hold for me, because everyone always overstates how easy it is to go get players (look at so-and-so. He's from South America and only makes 2$ a year and is great for...). I don't like him there long term, but we have other big holes to fill. Pencil Jones in as #6 for next year. Then go get a #9 and 3 or 4 very solid defenders. It is possible in MLS (Houston picked up Leo and AJ last offseason)

You can keep your eyes peeled for a new #6, but you don't have to be in desperation mode. And Garcia as his backup. I know it's terrible. Jones back as #6 with Garcia backup. Ouch. BUT if it let's us successfully put 3 brand new solid defenders behind him and a good #9 up top, I can live with it.

8. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is "possible" if there is another MLS club dumb enough to cough up two decent backliners for a song. Any nominees?

hav77, TrickHog and skydog repped this.
  9. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that JJ still does amazing well is ball winning. He has a short burst that always seems to put him between the ball and the opponent no matter who it is. And he (usually) has great timing when he goes down for a tackle. He doesn't show the possession game like Alonso, McCarty, et al and unnecessarily uses excessive force way too often.

hav77 repped this.
  10. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Your assertion that Jones was brought by the current Front Office into deliver a championship this year is totally bogus. Outside of you and Chris Klein, I don't believe that anyone held real championship expectations going into the season. At best there was a hope that the Galaxy might squeak into the playoffs with a first or second round elimination. Hardly a good run.

The only possibility of what your saying being correct, rides on the possibility that Bruce had some thoughts of how he could transform last years team minus Gerrard and Keane and remain a contender. This aligns with my understanding that the Galaxy started the acquisition of Jones under Bruce even though the official signing date was in January. So maybe. But after he left? I think it was pretty well understood that this was going to be a rebuilding year and the FO was determined or forced by AEG (your choice) to cut payroll and play the kids.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  11. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You can keep your eyes peeled for a new #6, but you don't have to be in desperation mode. And Garcia as his backup. I know it's terrible. Jones back as #6 with Garcia backup. Ouch. BUT if it let's us successfully put 3 brand new solid defenders behind him and a good #9 up top, I can live with it.

Would you trade Joao Pedro?

12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would want him and what could you get for him? Sigi certainly does not seem very high on him.

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if you can move him. Another reason when you spend big in MLS you have to make your mark

hav77 and WarGalaxy repped this.
  14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it totally bogus if the president of the club stated it? After a rebuilding year, being eliminated in the first round of the playoffs would be a good run, IMO. Making the playoffs is something we've come to expect as a minimum as Galaxy fans, so why would this season be different? Signing Jones can't be part of a long-term strategy, because he's at the age where he will decline rapidly. He's dropped out of the NT picture since we've signed him, which is the only reason he'll play more games this season.

Bruce would be the first to say that every MLS season is a win-now season. I have no way of knowing, but Jones seems like way too risky a signing for Arena.

15. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will take underwhelmingly consistent over spectacularly inconsistent at the 6 position everyday, hands down. Jeff Lawrentowicz wasn't even starting for us last season and he's a 6 on a playoff team right now.

If Husidic returns in any kind of form, I start the season with him as the 6, Rafa as a back-up and spend Jones' salary on upgrading / replacing Ciani, GK, forward and finding outside backs that actually run into the final 3rd. Fun fact: the LA Galaxy are unbeaten this season when Husidic started as the 6. Last season we won two playoff games with Husidic as the 6. Pedro's gone. Zardes is most likely gone.

16. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think what to do with Pedro requires a better understanding of his contract and salary, which I really don't have - but that's never stopped us on big soccer so ... I think that perhaps Pedro, while an expensive acquisition in 2017, might not really be that much against the salary cap now that we've paid his transfer fee. If he's really costing only $140K against the cap, then I hang onto the 24 year old. Husidic is coming back from injury and will turn 31 next year. Consider Pedro as Baggio 2.0.

TrickHog repped this.
  17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team has invested way to much into Zardes. He will be back next season

18. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I keep reading that people want to get a striker. Since it is highly unlikely that we get rid of Gio, would you all want him to stay in the #10 role?

I have no confidence in him there and would rather put him up top and get a competent #10.

19. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, he's a Special Discovery Player which means his acquisition costs are amortized over the life of his contract. His transfer fee was somewhere between $1m and $1.7m based on the different things I've seen and that'd be divided over the length of his contract, probably 3-5 years. So in a worst case, we're adding $200k per year onto his salary, worse case we're adding roughly $560k.

However, we also know he's a TAM player so his salary + amortized acquisition costs have to be greater than $480k. So if we take his $141k this year we can safely assume his amortized acquisition cost is more than $340k per year.

My best guess is that he's probably on a 3+1 or a 2+2, so four years and his transfer fee is $1.5m so $375k a year or so on top of his regular salary.

He also likely has a raise built in for next year. Also, remember that Kevin Baxter asked about Joao Pedro's salary and that the MLSPU numbers aren't accurate.

TrickHog, TheHoustonHoyaFan and Dr.Phil repped this.
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He's no good up top either. We need a forward with speed, guile and who is a great finisher. Many of our MLS opponents have them - why shouldn't we?

TrickHog repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    More evidence that our current FO has screwed this team for years to come. Admittedly I don't know a lot about contracts and getting out of them but to me it appears it's going to take at least 2 more years to get the ill-fitting deadweight off this team.

TrickHog repped this.
  22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's the keeper next season?
    Rowe: rough year
    Diop: athletic and hyped but mentally not there
    Kempin:Walked on. Worked his way up. Solid
    Vom Steeg: waiting

Add Gonzalez and Sneddon and we have built up a stash of mediocre keepers. Constant reshuffling makes things frustrating.

I can see us going out and getting someone else.

WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.
  23. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sigi has already said publicly that getting a better gk is a top priority for this team. And I couldn't agree more.

Berks, WarGalaxy, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  24. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I disagree. At least, he's a much better striker than a #10.

When he gets good service into space, where he can solely concentrate on going for goal, he's at his best. Granted, we don't have a Robbie Keane feeding him but, that's why I'd like to get someone who can consistently make those final passes. Gio seems to get too flustered if he has to decide between two or more possible plays... if he can see the plays; he usually has his head down. If there's an easy pass in front of him as he gets the ball, he can make that pass because its easy to focus on(second video).

First three half-season, 2015 goals.

Not all of his 2016 goals.

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #125 MPNumber9, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Baxter reported a few weeks back that LA shopped Zardes in the summer; I think he's out. For me, moving the last forward to score (who also has more LA Galaxy goals than anyone else on this roster all-time and is 2nd in assists to dos Santos) to RB was basically Sigi handing him a carpet bag. Sigi doesn't seem to rate him as a midfielder, either, even though he's played for his country in that position this year and I don't think he'll take a pay cut to play RB. Gyasi Zardes is the nicest man in the world, but I imagine even he has his limits. For me, that is another AJ-type loss.

MLS also reported that LA shopped Jones in the summer as well; don't know how reputable that is but its believable.

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.