Official: 2018 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, Sep 21, 2017.

1. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The article reads like it was written by one of us here in BS. All of Baxter's talking points seemed to have been cherrypicked straight from this board. Glad they have been put out there beyond the confines of this board. So Kevin, who are you here?

TrickHog repped this.
  2. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This made me laugh:

"Asked in February whether he liked this year’s roster or the one that came within a penalty kick of the conference final last year, Klein didn’t hesitate. “I’ll take this one,” he said."

shelbo and The Cadaver repped this.
  3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD highlights a key problem for the Galaxy.

He was particularly critical of Joao Pedro's assimilation – or lack thereof – to MLS.

"We’re not to the point in Major League Soccer where you can miss on a player like this," Donovan said. "And I’m not saying he’s a miss yet. He’s still going to take some time to understand. But when you’re spending a million-and-a-half dollars on a player, you need someone who is absolutely contributing and you can count on. And he just hasn’t quite been that guy yet."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...-says-la-galaxy-dont-look-they-have-real-plan

ProudNatRN, TrickHog, WarGalaxy and 4 others repped this.
  4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, and when you add Jones being a miss for us as well, our entire central midfield is a disaster....

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That just about sums up the year. He is either telling a marketing lie, or demonstrating his level of acumen. Or lack thereof.

7E23 and TrickHog repped this.
  6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the entire team with the exception of Romain has been a disaster ...

7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    And Gio

8. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well at least we brought in the impenetrable force Ciani to cover for their mistakes.

The Cadaver and JPAR repped this.
  9. soft tattooed millionaire

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 11, 2017
    So who is actually available next season and is worth going after?

10. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Luis Enrique to begin with?

hav77 repped this.
  11. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This has been my thoughts as well. What up and coming South American player wouldn't want to play for a former Barcelona skipper? He'd be great to attract young players with the hope being that he'll open doors for them to potentially bigger and better things through his connections and from his coaching that will help them become better players. I'm fine with this model given that MLS is a feeder league.

L.A. Native repped this.
  12. soft tattooed millionaire

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 11, 2017
    Couldn't help but notice the new target commercial with Robbie Rodgers.... seems the nerve damage hasnt hindered his acting carrer

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would it?

Berks and WarGalaxy repped this.
  14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We need someone who can finish

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As in free agents? Not very much, four four two had a list and the only name that I remember that probably could help is maybe Moor but at his stage I'm not sure

16. shurikt

shurikt Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. Somebody needs to use that as the textbook definition for heteroscedasticity in their stats class.

"Here's a scatterplot that shows exactly nothing."

Ghosting, WarGalaxy and The Cadaver repped this.
  17. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't say it shows nothing - I mean, I'd rather have more data than less and it sure beats some "analysis" where a guy in a studio shows 3 or 4 plays from a whole season and counts on his/her selective memory to draws conclusions. So anyway, it might not lead to any conclusions between those variables, but it still shows me the info on a single plot - that LA's terrible this year

TrickHog repped this.
  18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you didn't need a chart to know that...

natfaninla, ragbone and TrickHog repped this.
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even know how to read that chart and I came to that conclusion as well....

The Cadaver repped this.
  20. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The scatterplot's about defense, right? Basically we give up a lot of shots, but the shots are about league-average in terms of dangerousness.

To be meaningful it needs a third dimension: points. There are a variety of ways to be bad (give up lots of shots, give up easy shots) and you want to see how it translates to overall performance.

Ghosting repped this.
  21. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Keano’s assessment

hav77 and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  22. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it me, or is it weird that a guy named "Shank" is analyzing bad shots?

Ghosting, The Cadaver, MPNumber9 and 4 others repped this.
  23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to go to an expert regarding these types of things

TrickHog, Beakmon FC and rokstedy repped this.
  24. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The chart is a bit cluttered but actually useful if you understand it.
    X-axis is just # of shots allowed per game. So LA has been allowing a bit over 14 shots/gm a bit over the MLS average of ~12.8. 14 vs 12.8 doesn't sound much but over 34 games it adds up to 40 more shots allowed than average. Currently only VAN, DC, and MIN are allowing more shots per game.

The Y-axis is expected goals per shot allowed, so is a measure of the quality of the shots being conceded. The shots that LAG are allowing have an expected goal average of ~.107 goals/shot. That means the shots we allow are slightly less dangerous than the league average of .109 goals/shot. I think our decent standing on this metric comes from the games played when JVD was here. Early in the season we gave up a lot of shots but they didn't tend to be as dangerous. Now we a sieve.

If you want to take it further you can multiply the two numbers to get expected goals allowed for each team. LA's 14 shots/gm x .107 xG/shot = 1.5 expected goals allowed per game. IRL we have allowed 1.9 goals/gm (58ga/30gm). So teams are scoring almost a half of a goal more per game than would be expected given the number and quality of shots we are allowing.

In sum - we are allowing way too many shots PLUS our opp are getting a bit lucky in their scoring rate. That combo leads to us to being ranked 21st out of 22 teams in goals allowed this year.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I agree with your entire post except this sentence. I think luck has little to do with it. I think that what we are seeing is the inevitable combination of inadequate personnel and a losing momentum.

In terms of personnel since JVD left or when he wasn't playing, I don't think any of the back 6 except for Cole and Jones (when he plays dmid) are above league average players for their position. Outside of Romney, I don't think that any of the players are fast for their position nor would I call any of them quick. IMO, on the whole they are below average and consequently I would expect this configuration to give up more shots and goals then average. I think the Galaxy's season long lack of offense also contributes to the defensive woes as they are chasing the game far to often and gambling (e.g. the fullbacks getting caught upfield without midfielders in a position to cover).

Losing momentum causes players to give up (I think Gio is the poster boy for this) which further exacerbates both the lack of offense and failure to retain/regain possession.

TrickHog repped this.