Official 2018 J1 Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by Radu Razvan, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who will win the title?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2018.
  1. Kawasaki

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kashima

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Urawa

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Cerezo

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Reysol

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Other (name it)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Who would have thought that Reds will win after they released Hori? It wasn't convincing but 3 points are 3 points. I can only thank the club's officials for their belated decision. It should be done after 3-4 games. But they never can do things right.

2. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Very interesting table so far. Hiroshima are still unbeaten but how long will it go on?

Vegalta have also been a positive surprise but don't expect them to perform as good as they are for much longer although I could be wrong.

FC Tokyo have finally started winning too and they are actually the highest-scoring team in the league. From 5th to 15th there is only 3 points difference and all the pre-season title candidates have dropped lots of points and played poorly ( Kashima were for example completely outplayed at home vs Consadole and were lucky to get away with a point) so seems this season might become extra open.

It's too early to say of course, but I really like how Consadole are playing. It is already building up to be their best ever season in J1 and a top 10 finish seems within reach. Heck, they could even challenge for ACL if this continues=)

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  3. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    well damn, Nagasaki's Nakamura is on fire...

4. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Only Kashima advanced out of the group stage in the ACL. Cerezo could have too, if they put in more effort. Not sure why they just give up on ACL altogether.

5. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Because J. League now is worth a lot of moneeeey.

6. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    So it's official now: Japanese clubs don't care about ACL in the noext 10 years. There might be a story like Urawa last year but overall trend is decided already.

Whispered11 repped this.
  7. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    You think there is a chance Kashima might do a Urawa this year?
    One can hope, then again, Kashima have always been stopped at the Final 16 each year. They seem to have a pretty deep squad this year tho.

8. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Not sure if I fully agree with that.

Reysol for example looked to have something good going on. They were cruising towards a comfortable 2-0 win away vs Jeonbuk In R1 before they collapsed and lost 3-2 in the end, and conceded an idiotic last minute equalizer at home vs Tianjin in R2. With 4 or 6 points from those matches, which they would have managed with a bit more luck/focus/determination (choose one) they would most likely have advanced from this group with ease. The 0-1 loss vs Kitchee is embarassing of course, but I don't really see how that could happen if Reysol still had everything to play for.

So in my eyes they definitely took the tournament seriously early on, but ending up with just 1 point from those 2 first matches made the rest of the matches not worthwhile.

Cerezo took a gamble with weakened squads in both matches against Buriram. They underestimated them which a lot of teams have done in the past. But 2 wins vs Jeju and a solid 0-0 performance vs Guangzhou in R2 doesn't exactly speak of a team who doesn't care. They also hoped that Jeju would have helped them in R6, but it was a calculcated risk based on this month being pretty much the busiest ever in J.League. It didn't pay off, which of course is a pity. But to their defence, they are currently on a roll in the league and in 3rd place at the moment so it might have been the right thing to do after all?

Kawasaki is the only team that can't really be explained. They dominated possession but in the end lost deservedly in their 2 opening matches despite fielding pretty strong squads. And then sent a relatively weak squad to Australia and lost 0-1 in Melbourne, and after that the tournament were already over for them.

Only 1 team through to the next round out of 4 is of course hugely disappointing, especially when China and Korea both have 3 each. But it's not the end of the world and who knows, next year maybe we will see 4 Japanese teams in the next round. All this money coming into the league via the DAZN-deal might actually pay off in ACL as well eventually.

9. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Well, for sure their fans were pissed and showed it after week 5 during their home game in the league. I don't know whether players themselves were as angry as some of the fans...
    Yoon played their B squad from the start till the end. If it means that he took it seriously then... well, whatever excuse will work. He pissed Chinese journalists at least with what he brought to Kanton.

It might be that indeed money that clubs can pick up in J League are waaayyyy bigger than what they can expect from winning ACL...

J League clubs got overall 24 points this year. The worst ever. The record so far was 2016 with 30 points.

▼ACLグループステージ日本勢4チームの合計成績
    2009年 勝ち点50(15勝5分け4敗)
    2010年 勝ち点45(14勝3分け7敗)
    2011年 勝ち点44(13勝5分け6敗)
    2012年 勝ち点34(9勝7分け8敗)
    2013年 勝ち点33(8勝9分け7敗)
    2014年 勝ち点36(10勝6分け8敗)
    2015年 勝ち点31(9勝4分け11敗)
    2016年 勝ち点30(8勝6分け10敗)
    2017年 勝ち点38(11勝5分け8敗)
    2018年 勝ち点24(5勝9分け10敗)

10. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Can't forget the derby this weekend. It obviously took priority over ACL with our current injury issues. Anyways, am surprised Yoon JH didn't take ACL as seriously as I expected he would.. being a Korean manager and all, where ACL is important (especially one who wants to be the next KNT manager).

Another important factor, we started the league slow (some piss poor results) considering the aspirations the club had at the start of the season.

11. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    because wining the J-League means more money than play ACL, while CSL clubs almost rewarded equally by CSL company so they takes ACL seriously as doing well in it could brought great reputation

Samurai Warrior and Majster2 repped this.
  12. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    True, but I believe we had the exact same discussion here last year as well. And then they went on to have the best season since 2011 in terms of points taken in the group stage. And Urawa went all the way.

So don't think we can call it a trend at all.

And no, Yoon didnt treat it as a b-tournament from the start. In R1 they fielded their best possible squad. Even Kiyotake started!

In R2 he fielded 9 regulars with only Kakitani and Sugimoto starting on the bench (important players by all means but it's only 2 players). And Yamashita replaced Kimoto, but not much difference there.

13. Pjdawa

Pjdawa Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
  14. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So:
    - Kazama's tenure has been a disaster
    - Culpi on the breathing mask too..
    - Nagasaki with the crazy run!

15. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Takuya Takagi is doing a great job.

16. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Vegalta's Takuma Nishimura deserves a shoutout. 21 years old, and scored 6 goals in 9 starts ( or 13 matches in total). He's had a breakthrough season so far, and if this continues it won't be long before we see him at a bigger club I think.

17. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Or Europe...

18. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Pretty sure Iniesta is going to be paid more than the annual revenue of Vissel Kobe.......

I thought there was some rule about that in J.League......

19. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Torres-Tosu seems a boutade, while Iniesta may be true. Wage seems too high, but Rakuten is definitely trying.

20. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    I think he will go Man City, with Guardiola there and them willing to pay high wages.

21. Murray Peterson

Murray Peterson New Member

Whitecaps
    Japan
    May 21, 2018
    So I’m new to Japanese football and the J1 league. While I’ve enjoyed watching random teams play I’m looking for a team to get behind, so I was hoping for some help. What I like in a team is a smaller, intimate team with a strong fan base. What teams fit that?

22. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Being a fan of a certain team is not a rational decision, it is an emotional decision which is supposed to be taken after you experience touching moments with a particular team.

Hence, I do not think asking someone to suggest a team for you to support is a good idea to begin with.

Anyhow, as for your mentioned criteria, I suggest Vegalta Sendai,

Good Luck and enjoy Japanese football.

Dax repped this.
  23. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nobody talks about J-League here anymore?

Vissel Kobe thrashed Consadole Sapporo 4-0 this weekend with two braces from Kazuma Watanabe and Wellington.

It is the first time Vissel won two consecutive league games this season (they won 0-2 away against Jubilo Iwata last round), and they did it while Podolski is injured.

I wonder if anyone share the impression that Vissel is playing better/getting better results without Podolski.

Majster2 repped this.
  24. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Of course is playing better. Hope Iniesta will have some impact, but now I have realised that he is 34...

25. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Yeah, seems to be very little interest in the J.League these days. Is it because it is difficult to watch J.League outside of Japan? Use www.cool-365.com. They broadcast almost all the matches.

I find it very surprising that most people on this board seems more interested in Japanese players playing abroad than in J.League as a whole. When a thread about Yuya Kubo have more hits/posts than the one single thread for J.League, something is not right... If Kubo played for a top club like Dortmund or Liverpool it would be ok, but he plays for a mediocre club that would most likely have struggled to beat even several of the mid-table J1 teams. And that goes for more than half of the threads in the "Japanese Abroad" section.

But to get back on topic:

Last season Kobe were 8th or 9th when Podolski came, but ended up in 13th place. If we count this season as well the results without him is way better than when he plays, so you are not the only one who thinks so. When Podolski plays, everything has to go through to him which makes them very predictable and easy to stop as all it takes is some close man-marking. And except for a couple of great strikes from distance and the occasional genius through-pass what Podolski have delivered on the pitch have not been very impressive.

Kobe was one of the most exciting teams to watch before Podolski came, with lots of creative players in attack. Their main concern back then was a poor defence, which is still the case now. But Podolski's arrival have changed their attacking play, and seen important and good players like Watanabe finding himself on the bench on several occasions ( is that Podolski's orders or the coach's decision? Watanabe was the captain before Podolski arrived, so there might be some bad blood between them).

If Iniesta signs less focus should be on Podolski and he might be able to roam around more freely and get the space he needs, so we might see a totally different player if that happens.