Official: 2017 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 6, 2016.

1. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Sigi over Jurgen any day.

pastor, Beakmon FC, Berks and 1 other person repped this.
  2. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How things change in a week. If he does somehow get the gig again, better now for the Galaxy than closer to the season.

3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    FYP

shurikt, 73Bruin, rokstedy and 4 others repped this.
  4. Dawdler

Dawdler Member+

Apr 2, 2005
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who would be a viable replacement for Arena.

personally I'd like to go with a younger coach with fresh ideas and have him develop the team youth, I know a lot of people like having marketable DP's on the team, but I'd enjoy watching the young guys work and develop together instead of seeing old DP's slogging up and down the pitch just to get the casual fan to the stadium.

as an example from another sport the Lakers, they are still going to lose a lot but they have a bright young coach with some young talent and they are fun to watch.

Geneva repped this.
  5. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll need a coach that understands MLS inside and out.

Berhalter seemed the guy that most supporters earmarked as Bruce's replacement in waiting. Now, he seemed to struggle with his DP's and had to unload their best player. As a result, the Crew couldn't get back to the playoffs in a weak conference.

Mastroeni hasn't received an extension from Colorado yet. However I could see him just benefiting from an aberration. He's yet to put together back to back winning seasons.

As for the DP strategy, I have a feeling that philosophy comes from the top down. With LAFC on the horizon I can't see the franchise taking a step back in their ambitions for worldwide recognition.

6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ World wide recognition? How about world wide domination?

rokstedy repped this.
  7. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... well, it seems our first master is Time Warner Cable Sportsnet and our agreement with them to continue to have worldwide recognizable names on the roster.

The Cadaver repped this.
  8. ChrisV323

ChrisV323 Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like El Piojo Herrera to replace Bruce.

galaxydeadhead repped this.
  9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yeah, I'm not impressed with Pablo, even if he managed to win MLS Cup he needs to show he can do it again. Porter & Berhaltdr failed to follow through.

Sigi would tick a lot of boxes, he knows MLS, he has a track record of finding "unknown" talent from CA/SA and putting together strong regular season teams. Probably wouldn't win a lot of MLS Cups, but we might take USOC seriously again.

Probably just means Sarachan to be honest.

73Bruin and kaburu repped this.
  10. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I'd love it if a plan comes together ;)

• JK is fired from US Soccer.
    • Bruce Arena remains G's GM (roster rules, man management) and becomes new USMNT head coach (at least for this cycle)
    • Dave Sarachan becomes the new G's head coach. (Bonus, at least he rates and plays AJDLG)
    • Oscar Pareja becomes the new US Soccer technical director (and either continues in a dual role with FC Dallas or not)

Beakmon FC repped this.
  11. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he goes with Bruce to USMNT, right?

12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but that means we get Curt Onalfo....

WarGalaxy and hav77 repped this.
  13. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    GalaxyOne, thanks for the post. I agree that the Galaxy should not offer Robbie Keane a DP deal. However, if Keane were to agree to sign with the Galaxy as a non-DP, should the Galaxy sign him as a non-DP? I don’t know. It depends on salary-cap considerations. Also, if Landon Donovan were to tell the Galaxy that he wants to play for them in 2017 and is committed to being the best player he can be and signing Keane as a non-DP would prevent the Galaxy from signing Donovan (for instance, there would not be enough Targeted Allocation Money available to sign both of them as non-DPs), then I think the Galaxy should not sign Keane even as a non-DP. I think Donovan likely would help the Galaxy more over the next one to two years than Keane. Donovan is younger, probably less injury prone, has better endurance and is a better passer and team player.

Moreover, if Donovan were to agree to sign with the Galaxy as a non-DP, then I strongly believe that the Galaxy should sign him as a non-DP. In the 2017 MLS season, he likely would be a good—perhaps even very good—player. With the exception of the very first game he played with the Galaxy this season—which consisted of only seven minutes against Orlando City in September of 2016—overall he looked good for the Galaxy in the six regular season and three playoff games that he played for them this season. And, in only his second game with the team, he scored a terrific goal against Sporting Kansas City, which was the game-tying goal. In addition, prior to the 2016 MLS season, he had no preseason to get himself in shape and in form for the 2016 season, and, prior to the Orlando game, he had not played a professional soccer match for close to two years. Prior to the Orlando game, his last professional soccer game was December 7, 2014. It was the 2014 MLS Cup Final, which Galaxy won 2-1 against New England.

Also, I think there is a good chance that Donovan would agree to sign as a non-DP. He knows that he is 34 now, and he knows that 34 is an age when many professional soccer players go downhill. In addition, he probably recognizes that partly given that he had not played a professional soccer match for close to two years, it is unclear whether he would be worth being a DP to the Galaxy given the kinds of elite players that the Galaxy are capable of signing. Donovan also is committed to the greater good of the Galaxy and U.S. soccer. And he knows that if he were not to sign as a DP, then the Galaxy could use the DP slot that they don’t use on him on another elite player, perhaps a player who is surer than he is to be a high-impact player in MLS in 2017 and/or 2017 through the end of 2018. So, he may be willing to sign as a non-DP. In fact, at this stage of his career, Donovan might not want the pressure of being a DP. He likely realizes—or could come to realize that—that if he is a non-DP and plays at the level for the Galaxy that he likely would, it would be worth it to the Galaxy to have him on their roster, even if he is no longer an outstanding MLS player. In addition, perhaps he would feel that if he were a DP, especially in light of the kinds of players that the Galaxy could attract as DPs, he would have to play at a level that he may not be capable of anymore given his age.

However, what if Donovan would agree to sign with the Galaxy if and only if they would make him a DP? Should the Galaxy then do so? If his heart is really into playing professional soccer for the Galaxy, then I think the Galaxy probably should. But I think the Galaxy also should see how much he is committed to playing professional soccer for the Galaxy and get a good sense of what players the Galaxy could sign as DPs if they were not to sign Donovan as a DP. The Galaxy should not forego signing Donovan as DP merely because there is a rumor that if they were not to sign Donovan as a DP, they could sign Lionel Messi or Zlatan Ibrahimovic instead. The Galaxy probably should have very good reason to believe that if they were not to sign Donovan as a DP, they could sign other players as DPs that would help the team more in 2017 than Donovan would. Otherwise, I think that if Donovan would agree to sign with the Galaxy if and only if they make him a DP, then the Galaxy probably should do so. As I said, he likely would be a good player in MLS in 2017.

However, the Galaxy should try hard to convince him to sign for them as a non-DP. And I bet he would do it. As I understand it, this season, he played for a prorated salary; and if he were paid the amount of money for a full season that he was paid for the two months for which he played for the Galaxy this season, his salary would be essentially the maximum salary for which a player can sign in MLS short of being a DP.

MPNumber9 and GalaxyOne repped this.
  14. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would much rather Bruce stay with us... If JK goes I would rather Bruce be a bandaid until we find a long term replacement.

As for G's: We need a world class CM and I can't think of a single one available at the right age and realistically coming to MLS...

15. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Predicting the G's protected players for the expansion draft (pretty much aligns with what I'd do)
    • the G's have to protect at least 3 Int'l Players because they have 6
    • If they want to keep the rights to retiring or renegotiating contract players they will have to protect them
    • listed according to 2016 salary numbers (nothing else)
    • Homegrown players who have not graduated are automatically protected
    • Protected due to value, either as player or trade bait
    Protected Players
    1) #10 Giovani Dos Santos (457 / 4.25 M $) DP / Int'l / signed for 2017 at least
    2) #11 Gyasi Zardes (472) HG TAM/GAM for non DP max / signed for 2017 at least
    3) #37 Jelle Van Damme (468) Int'l TAM/GAM for non DP max / signed for 2017 at least
    4) #14 Robbie Rogers (229) signed for 2017 at least
    5) #20 AJ DeLaGarza (227) signed for 2017 at least
    6) #26 Landon Donovan (153*) *457 pro rated for season / out of contract
    7) #17 Sebastian Lletget (116) club option
    8) #24 Emmanuel Boateng (100) Int'l club option
    9) #12 Brian Rowe (81) club option
    10) #44 Daniel Steres (62)
    11) one of the 4 below that is not or no longer protected

#27 Dave Romney (62)
    #46 Ariel Lassiter (52)
    #40 Raul Mendiola (62) HG / Int'l (could have graduated)
    #32 Jack McBean (62) HG (could have graduated)

Unprotected Players
    #7 Robbie Keane (457 / 3.5 M $) DP out of contract
    #3 Ashley Cole (328) Int'l club option
    #18 Mike Magee (250) club option
    #1 Dan Kennedy (195)
    #21 Jeff Larentowicz (175) club option
    #9 Alan Gordon (170) club option
    #22 Leonardo (165) club option
    #6 Baggio Husidic (150) club option
    #5 Jose Villareal (90) HG
    #25 Rafael Garcia (75)
    #36 Oscar Sorto (62) HG
    #38 Bradford Jamieson IV (62) HG
    #40 Raul Mendiola (62) HG / Int'l
    #27 Dave Romney (62)
    #31 Clement Diop (62) Int'l
    #32 Jack McBean (62) HG
    #46 Ariel Lassiter (52)

Baysider and TrickHog repped this.
  16. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home Grown players don't "graduate."

I think you're thinking of Generation Adidas players. That is separate program from the Home Grown program.

17. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I agree, if Bruce can somehow work his magic to work it into the cap, or get MLS to create a new rule so we could keep Keane and/or Donovan next year without using up a DP for either, the I would be all on board. I think they both still have potential to help the team in certain ways, but I don't think we should be relying on them as key, DP-type players. If we are to really compete for more Cups, I think we need an infusion of top talent a lot closer to their prime. I guess if the Galaxy couldn't find 2 top notch DPs, then Donovan or Keane could perhaps be a one-year stop-gap DP. Maybe better than not having them at all, but to me it would be a let down. I think I would tend to keep a DP slot open for the summer window rather than signing Donovan or Keane as a DP.

edcrocker and WarGalaxy repped this.
  18. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    WarGalaxy repped this.
  19. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Well, actually they kind of due graduate.
    Once they are on the senior roster and have such a significant budget charge, they need to be protected.

20. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A homegrown is a homegrown, whether they are on the senior roster or the off-budget (supplemental/reserve) roster. For example, Bill Hamid has been on the senior roster for DC for a few years now, but is still homegrown. There is no requirement to move any HG player to the senior roster either. A player could remain on the off-budget roster their entire career in the right circumstances.

Bar Zardes (potentially/probably), all of our HG players are on the off-budget roster and will be automatically protected.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  21. Esc-soccer

Esc-soccer Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Inland Empire, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good Question, I like and would take this opportunity to nominate Robbie Keane as the front runner! Any "Yes or Nays??"

22. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No where in that quote does it refer to homegrown players being "graduated" or not "graduated." Mendiola is still on the off-budget roster. He will be automatically protected.

23. Esc-soccer

Esc-soccer Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Inland Empire, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is my understanding of all this behind the seance MLS mambo jumbo non sense, if a players comes through the ranks of a team or HG it was automatically protected unless the team sells or lends such player.

24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gross. Maybe there is something that would turn me to LAFC...

phoenixhazard repped this.
  25. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ugh, this is no good. I would not mind a new manager that brings a more creative and modern attacking system to the team but I doubt we could get someone good enough and I doubt we have the players capable of truly executing that. I'm very nervous if we lose Bruce and Sarachan