Official 2011 Japanese NT Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by OneiroPhobia, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Peru June 1st, Czech June 7th.

2. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    There's no way Hosogai will be the successor of Endo, they are two completely different players. Honda is. He has to be.

3. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Honda is too offensive like, I wouldn't label him a pass master like Endo. Hosogai is more box-box, enforcer type. I don't see anyone yet

4. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Did u know before joining VVV Venlo, Honda aim was just like Endo, aiming for the beautiful pass, until he realize he should start attacking more and shoot for goals.
    I read it all here, a great translation of Honda's interview for Sports Tairiku.

btw, in a unrelated question, I bought a HOME and AWAY 2011 JAPAN 09/11 Jersey. both short sleeve. I wonder where I can find the shorts to match, and a jacket to go with it, 2XL?

5. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Akimi Barada is the next Endo.

Although I really hope that Shibasaki gets more playing time.

6. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Attacking is a style, not a quality, if Zach tells Honda to play like Endo he will succeed since he has the same qualities. I really think that's his future and I will obviously keep on forever no matter what happens ;) .
    Watch Yuki Kobayashi with Jubilo Iwata, he kinda have the same style. Same height, same elegant style of play and a great eye for the pass.

7. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  8. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just a question, you and Zac say this team is for the future, yeah but is Konno the future? Specially at the CB position? Can't be.

I would like to see Makino there. The two best defenders are not even in the squad, I wonder why it all has to be so fkced up everytime.

9. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Makino's not disciplined enough to play CB in a 2 CB system.

I wouldn't worry about him, Zac seems intent on pushing the 3-4-3 so if it ever comes to fruition then Makino will fit perfectly in the system because he used to play it at SanFrecce.

10. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Zac is nuts, he'll probably pick Kurihara instead of Makino at CB and give a chance to Koroki over Usami

11. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Matsu's feisty today!
    Woo-hoo!
    Inoha and Koroki are Kashima players, though, and I think we all know you might have a SLIGHT lack of objectivity when it comes to that...
    Still, you make a lot of great points of course, and unlike pretty anybody else here, your opinions have credibility.

I'll have more to say about the 3-4-3 later but I don't have time to get into it right now.

12. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Why?
    Are you STILL on that BS idea that Im a Kashima fan?
    For Christs sake lets get this straight one last time, and Im never going to dignify such idiotic comments again:

I say positive things about teams that are winning, I say negative things about teams that lose.

The ONLY exception to that rule...the only exception Ive EVER made... is Ventforet, which is the one and only team I have been truly partial to since the Flugels disbanded. If Ive sounded positive about the Antlers in recent years, maybe its because theyve won titles for each of the past four years. If any other team had done that, Id make similar positive comments about them.

Most of what Ive written about Kashima this year has been relatively negative (except sympathetic comments regarding their troubles with the stadium). This year youll find that most of my positive comments have been reserved for Reysol, Marinos and Sanfrecce. I suppose next Im going to have to listen to idiots call me a Reysol fan. :rolleyes:

What I detect in the people who accuse me of being a Kashima fan is an obvious spite of a team that wins championships (could it possibly because their own team is pathetic?). Its the only possible excuse that makes any sense.

13. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Not really. But I think you have tended to overestimate the capabilities of a number of their players over the years based on the success of the team and club collectively (success for which I have nothing but admiration).

Which is also understandable in light of how certain Kashima players have been criminally UNDERestimated by the JNT powers over the years.

I'm on your side, man, big picture.

But Inoha and Koroki, they don't light my fire. I don't see what you see. I see mediocre J-League role players who are a dime a dozen.

14. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Oh.
    So in other words you dont think that the coach should have the opportunity to TRY the system he prefers?

. . . because thats exactly what we are talking about here. Yesterday was the first chance he had to even TRY it. Are you saying the coach needs to follow YOUR idea of what is best, and not HIS idea of what is best? Man, talk about arrogant!

Zack has used a 3-4-3 for most of his coaching career. If Japan had no intention of ever letting him at least TRY that system then they never should have hired him in the first place. I find it funny that Im being put in the position of defending the guy since Im not all THAT impressed myself.

But if you look at the teams Japan has played since Zack took over, and start complaining because he "ONLY" has a record of 6-5-0, I think its time for you to start seeking professional help. No coach in the world is going to do better than that.

15. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    That's one way. The second is getting best players and try to find a system itself (that's how it works in the team of current World an European Champions but who could have problem when it's based on the best team in Europe). In all this talk about systems I haven't seen a post which stated that a NT coach have something like 4 days a month to train with the players. Zac ideas might work but only if he'll stick to those for coming years. It can also give us an headache at some point. But mastering it in this little time should take much longer than 2 friendlies or even a year I'm afraid.

16. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Japan has three years ahead before WC 2014. Do you think it won't be enough to master new ideas?

17. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Exzackly.
    Unless some people are worried that we wont be able to beat the second-tier ACL teams (Jordan, UAE, India, Vietnam...), then that means we have at least 18 months to develop a solid strategy and team, and test things out against weaker opposition before things start to get tough. . . .

And if you honestly DO worry whether Japan is good enough to get past Kuwait or Thailand, then honestly, your complaints about a 6-5-0 record against the likes of Argentina, Paraguay, Peru, Korea (twice), Saudi Arabia and Australia makes no sense WHATsoever. :confused:

18. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Not saying that at all!! I have no problem with trying stuff out but I'm sure you would agree that Sekiguchi, Kuroki, Shibasaki, and Moriwaki(unless he's there for off field reasons and tbf, he didn't look bad vs Peru) are not international level.

And like I said on the other post, 6 wins 5 draws is not bad. I'm just saying he hasn't lost isn't a good point for me. I much rather go 9 wins 2 loses unless that loss came in the Asian Cup.

Edit: Not that it changes my point or that Zac wouldn't have won these but just realized the first 2 wins were under Hara.

19. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    I didn't targeted the system but the players. 3 defenders, Inoha, Moriwaki and Makino ? Moriwaki gets a red card every two matches, Makino plays one game every three months and Inoha is probably the 7 or 8th best japanese central defender.
    Then Nagatomo, okay, but Ienaga ?!! Laudrup had to grab his short and pull him to make him defend.

On the other hand, I have no problem with Koroki or Shibasaki, I rate them highly just like Zach. They just have to be unlocked and we'll see their true potential. One thing I don't wanna see again is Inoha right back, and that's something Zach likes to use, no need to deny since we already saw it during the Asian Cup.

20. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    No, I hope it will be enough (but it will take huge amount of consultation between NT staff and players and more work for them in clubs during their time off :)). What we'll see in game against Czech team should be a good indicator of what Japanese team will show in first qualification games. But now it's time to polish and make adjustments on the team. First time to sum things up should be around 18 months from now as Matsu wrote. If this team will learn how to effectively and consciously change formation during games (not like it was in AC final when it was accidental) I'll be more than content.
    That's somewhat complicated reasoning but I'm not going to argue about liking/disliking of certain number or this digit looks better than that.

21. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Yea its personal taste. Just pointing out that we haven't lost doesn't mean much when we have tied half the games.

22. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    This is getting repetetive so this is going to be my last comment on the subject. Nevertheless I really get annoyed that so many people keep saying the same completely inaccurate thing, again and again and again even though its already been pointed out that by saying it they are just displaying their ignorance. Please... listen carefully . . .

Inoha was NOT PLAYING RIGHT BACK.

In a 3-4-3 there are NO SIDE BACKS

In a 3-4-3, the back three play the following positions:
    1. CB -right side
    2. CB -left side
    3. Free defender

The roles, responsibilities, type of player, skill set and on and on and on, all are DIFFERENT from the roles, responsibilities, type of player, skill set and so on of a 4-4-2. At Udinese, his back three were Poggi, Bierhoff and Amoroso. Now you can probably view Bierhoff as a "typical center back" in a 4-4-2 but as you can clearly see, there are NO SIDE BACKS in that three man line.

This is the reason why I am simply shocked that people would make any negative comments about Moriwaki, Inoha, Makino or Konno until we have seen from actual practice whether any other Japanese defender is capable of playing the position. Because until they do, there are only about 6-8 defenders in ALL OF JAPAN who have demonstrated that they know how to play the position at the international level. I listed those players once before but now Ill do so again, including players who I do NOT view as int'l material:

Konno
    Inoha
    Tokunaga
    Moniwa
    (all have experience playing international matches and all played in a 3-man line at FC Tokyo under current JFA Technical Director Hiromi Hara)
    Abe
    Mizumoto
    (played in a back three at JEF and played internationally under Osim)
    Makino
    Moriwaki
    Morishige
    Mizumoto (already mentioned)
    (all played in a back three at Sanfrecce and have intl experience at least at the youth level)
    You could add Koji Nakajima and Tsubasa Yokotake to that list if you like, but I think youll have a tough time convincing people that they are better options than the ones already listed.

Thats the END OF THE LIST!

While a few other players, such as T.Uemoto, Sahara, Fukaya and Gamba's Yamaguchi have played in three-man lines before, in every case it was a very different style of back three, more similar to the Jubilo teams of old who won titles in the early 90s Since its Zacks first attempt to implement the 3-4-3, you might expect him to use players who actually have played the formation AT LEAST ONCE IN THEIR ENTIRE CAREERS before trying to bring in other options . . . dont you think?

Looking at the list above, only three players have ever had experience playing on the side of a 4-4-2, allowing Zack to shift formations in the middle of the match if he so chose to do. Those three are Inoha, Konno and Tokunaga. So unless you are REALLY trying to tell me that you think Tokunaga ought to be there in his place, those of you who are criticising Inoha for being used on the right dont have a leg to stand on. HES THE ONLY GUY AVAILABLE!!! (Because Konno has to move to the opposite side in case of a switch)

Will he turn out to be the best player for the position after Zach has time to try out other players and see if they can do the job? Who knows! Only time will tell. And Im not trying to suggest that he is the theoretically most ideal player for the position. For the record I dont view Konno as the best player for the position on the other side. But like I just said, you dont have any choice.

Zack is trying to implement a new formation. Until the ENTIRE TEAM learns it, he has to work with people who have at least a tiny bit of experience in the position, and who are capable of switching to a more standard formation (4-4-2) if the team gets in trouble and has to salvage a match. So who are you left with?

Konno
    Inoha
    Tokunaga
    Oh yeah. One other guy-
    Kozo Yuki
    (I left him out before, but that was because I didnt want anyone to start laughing out loud until I finished

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

23. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    It is with trepidation that one ventures to dispute your encyclopedic knowledge, but to me it is worrying to think that the coach wishes to use a system in which only three players in all of Japan can play the defensive positions (what happens if one of them is injured?), and moreover those are all players I do not rate.

24. dokool

dokool Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sometimes your posts are so dense I'm surprised the light from my monitor manages to escape them.

25. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatver your rambling on about is irrelevant. Japan didnt perform, formation, players, coaching, whatever it didnt happen...and that shouldn happen against a team like Peru. Especially at home, and especially when they(Peru) are missing from what I heard most of their star players.

Japan too was missing some players as we all know, but they are a deep team with tons of talent. Though that talent didnt shine through, agian we dont know if it was the players or the formation that made play so stagnant and painful to watch but it really doesnt matter.

Ill say it again, Inoha should not be on as a sideback hes a CB. He cant push up and threaten, he has no pace, skill, or tenacity. In the air he is a danger thats it which is the nature of a CB.

Maeda too I feel may be on his last days as a JNT player. Hes getting old and though he is a decent target man he doesnt back track enough for my liking and isnt nearly as skilled as Okazaki. I cant imagine Maeda is a better option than Usami or Lee both of whom are also younger. Maeda does fit a certain scheme but against a team like Peru it may have been better to get players in there that have good technique on the ball and could dribble instead of someone like Maeda who is more of a player that relies on his strength and size...at least comparitively.

As always though hindsight is 20/20. But no matter how you want to sugar coat it, rationalize it, deny it, make excuses, or write a term paper about formations. Japan did not play up to their poptential, they were WAY too defensive minded the defenders hardly ever made overlapping runs which is probably Japans biggest strength. They got into a defensive shell most of the time, didnt utilize their passing, and resorted to counter attacks for offense. They just seemed content to play for the tie which I think was SAD. I for one felt pretty dissapointed with that performance, if I was those fans I would have bood. There is no way a team like Peru should be dictating the tempo of the game and be bombarding Kawashima with shots and pressure. Just SAD!

Well see how Peru and Czech Rep. match up later to see if maybe Peru is better than their Fifa ranking says.

And as for Japans next game there better be some roster changes. Nagatomo needs to be in the game, Ienega needs a shot as well, Inoha sits in favor of Yasuda or Uchida. Not much room for J-leaguers out there. They had their chances against Peru and didnt impress at all IMO.

By no means am I panicking, but I feel so strongly about Japans ability that when thye put on a performance like this I cant help but feel angry. Theyre better than that, and a team that beat Argentina and won the Asian Cup against great teams like South Korea and Australia should have no trouble against Peru. Bring on Czech Republic, GANBATTE!