Official 2009 Japanese NT Thread Part II [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by scotch17, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Okey thanks.

Yeah Okadas line ups scares the shit out of me ahead of WC. I don't know what the fck he is doing. Playing Okubo etc. Shit, he keeps pissing me off.

2. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    yeh, I couldn't figure out what Okubo was trying to do when he had a wide open shot but instead pushed the ball to the endline and tried to beat the south african defender to it.. Thats probably why Honda stopped passing.

Overall, the passes were horrible though. Honda lost possession several times because nobody could pass to his feet from a few meters away...

3. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    0-0 is not a bad result, now Japan's goal has been unbeaten in four games, which is excellent news.

But a strong team, in a game like yesterday has that one forward who scores the three-point goal... Sato did it many times for Hiroshima, but of course if Okada thinks Okubo is better...

I believe that the only hope for Japan is to have Morimoto and Okazaki healthy and in good shape. Besides that, considering Okada's preferences, in the front I see a HUGE void, with Sato coming after Tamada and Okubo, Maeda very shy on the international stage, and Maki and Yanagisawa dead and forgotten.

4. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think okada has to at least give okubo a chance before dismissing him. Obviously Tamada is preference before Okubo in Okada's mind but he gave Okubo a shot which means he was testing him and giving him a chance to move to no.3 in the pecking order which he obviously failed. I'm sure Sato's chance will come. They're playing DPR Korea and Korea Rep in January/February.

I think Tamada's a different type of forward than both Morimoto and Okazaki while Sato is more a (give or take) direct substitute for Okazaki.

Also we were missing 3.5 players (Naka 1st half), Japan are loads better than South Africa.

5. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The games against the Koreas will be exciting and hard, but they're not necessarily good tests toward the WC...

6. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Give him a CHANCE? WTF . . . you mean the other 39 chances that he had already werent really enough of a chance, and now he has to be given a REAL chance?

Okubo has had 40 NT caps and played something a shade over 2700 total minutes for the Japan NT. Are you serious? You really think he needs to be "given a chance"?

Hell, at least Tamada has managed to score 14 goals in his 2800 or 2900 NT minutes. What has Okubo managed to do? And if you want to give someone a chance, how about guys that still have less than 180 minutes (ie less than two full matches) of playing time? There must be a few of them around . . . . hey, how about we make a list of all the strikers in the J.League that scored more goals than Okubo this season? Naahhh. Better not. Itll just fill up the thread and Gora will have to open a new one.

:mad::mad::mad:

7. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We can discuss this in eternity, we all know Okada will choose Okazaki, maybe Morimoto and then 2-3 more useless strikers for the WC.

8. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That doesn't cut it at the world cup though.
    Japan would be lucky to get into a group with a team they are loads better than, and if they can't win that match...

9. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't think Sato Hisato would be useless. He has ket Hiroshima attack going by himself in several games. Maybe, just like Maeda, he'll fade away in International games, but we'd never know if Okubo plays instead.

10. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    All right, its time to stop biting my tongue and trying to avoid the conflict that Im bound to create by discussing this matter in detail. The situation has gone on for far too long and now I think its about time to say what I really think about this whole situation with Okada and his player selections. So here goes:

Name . . . . . . . . 09 Goals/games . . . . NT Caps
    Ryoichi Maeda . . . . . 18 (31) . . . . . . . . . 5
    Naohiro Ishikawa . . . .15 (24) . . . . . . . . . 2
    Shinji Okazaki . . . . . .14 (31) . . . . . . . . .13
    Kazuma Watanabe . . .12 (26) . . . . . . . . . 0
    Hisato Sato . . . . . . . 12 (31) . . . . . . . . 27* (mostly for Zico Japan)
    Yu Hasegawa . . . . . . 10 (28) . . . . . . . . 0
    Shinzo Koroki . . . . . . .9 (26) . . . . . . . . 4
    Kisho Yano . . . . . . . . 8 (30) . . . . . . . . 14
    Keiji Tamada . . . . . . . 8 (26) . . . . . . . . 63
    Yoshito Okubo . . . . . . 5 (29) . . . . . . . . 40
    Naohiro Takahara . . . . 4 (21) . . . . . . . . 51

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump:
    "thats all Ive got to say about that"

11. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah?

Am I the only one that wants him to try for instance Hasegawa and Watanabe? I mean they can't do worse than Okubo, Yano, Ogoru etc. It is funny that most likely it is the bottom of that table that will go to the WC. ************

12. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If you take away penalties (he won't take penalties in SA), Tamada is level with Okubo. Going by Tamada & Okubo you could easily make a case for bringing back Takahara :eek:.
    I'm on the fence with Watanabe, this is his first season really lighting it up and he almost always scores at home (for the record, Okazaki is guilty of this too) but I'd like to see him in some ACQs (along with maybe Koroki and Hasegawa).

13. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Am I the only one that doesn't mind Okubo. We all know he can't finish but neither can the rest of the strikers. He was terrible yesterday but he usually puts himself in the right position, makes clever runs, works really hard, and for me, he is the best link player we have. He creates the most chance for himself out of anyone else on the team. The big problem is that he doesn' score any of them so I can see why you guys don't want him but I still think he has a role to play. He is a bad version of Yanagisawa.

14. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    This is his first season.
    :confused:

15. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    ...this is his first season really lighting it up...

Usually these things make more sense if you read the whole sentence. I know you don't have the time to waste reading, but you could at least try to make it through a single phrase.
    Last year I thought Okubo was doing good, but he's disappeared since Wolfsburg. That highlights why I'm on the fence with Watanabe.
    A bad version of Yanagisawa? -- that's painful just to think about. =(

16. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    This is his first season.
    Period.

How many goals did you EXPECT him to score in the J.League last year?
    :confused::confused::confused:

(on edit: Wow. Its even funnier now that you wrote a whole paragraph. Maybe YOU are the one who needs to read and comprehend, eh ? ? ?)

(on second edit: OHHH! Its YOU! Sorry, I didnt even notice before. That explains a lot. )

17. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Who said I expected anything from him? The point is one good season isn't always enough to say "Hey, he should be on the NT".
    Otherwise we'd be playing Ganaha and Akamine right now.

18. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Nice try, but no cigar. You made a mistake and now want to pretend you "knew it all along".

Watanabe was Universiade scoring leader at Waseda and has been "lighting it up" for years now. Soccer Digest was featuring him as a "rising star" all the way back in 2004, when he was a senior at Kunimi. Normally I would agree that a rookie might be risky to name as a NT player, but Watanabe is 23, and has a very solid pedigree.

Id prefer not to turn this into a pissing contest since we both know who would win. If you cant admit you made a mistake, then at least just let the matter drop.

Thats all I have to say about that.

19. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If we're going to count University then I suppose I should also take back my statement on Ganaha since he played well at J2 level. :rolleyes:

Is "lighting it up" at Waseda really your criteria for getting on the NT? Or is this just you being obsessed with some kind of "gotchya" moment?
    If you want to make an exception for him, that's your opinion. I stated why I was on the fence. I didn't state everyone else should be on the fence.
    But, as usual, you are more concerned with looking like you have the only valid opinion here. Carry on.

20. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    OK, if you insist.

You wrote: "This is his first season lighting it up" . . . as if he could have done something better prior to this season. I responded by simply correcting the statement to make it accurate. "This is his first season." Nothing else.

I didnt ask for a fight, or disagree with your opinion, or anything else that might be viewed as provocative. I just made it clear -- to ANYONE who might not be aware of the actual situation -- that Watanabe couldnt have done any better in a previous season, because he wasnt a J.Leaguer in any previous season.

. . .

You replied by going off on a rant about how I need to read better and how I have an attitude problem. As if clarifying the actual situation is somehow a terrible, cruel and unkind thing to do . . . :rolleyes:

SOMEBODY clearly has a problem here.
    If you want to pretend to yourself that its "all Matsu's" fault, because I am "rude" enough to make simple statements of fact, then I guess that problem is going to persist.

Now . . . I know you cant resist so go ahead and have the last word.
    Whatever. Ive had enough. :(

21. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Please do argue without insulting each other. It is cooler if you stick to your opinions and let us decide who has it right, no...? :)

Also, I suggest postponing feuds to January-February, when there is not much else going on... ;)

Besides the jokes, I have no problems about people exchanging strikes around here, but please keep them over the belt. :D

22. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Inukai wants to prohibit the use of vuvuzela, this little trumpet, during the world cup.
    I'm with him.

23. zobic-redded

zobic-redded Red Card

Nov 22, 2009
    Serbia
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
  24. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    heard about this. playing Serbia in Nagoya on a date that ISN'T a FIFA match date. it's asking for disaster as there's no way Serbia will send their best in April to japan.

25. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Don't you think that's kind of sad that neither Nozawa nor Futagawa have been called in NT ?