Official 2007 Copa Libertadores Knockout Stages Thread: General Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by Deleted USer, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    If I understand it correctly, the group leaders will play the runner ups similar to what the MFL playoffs does where the top seed plays the lowest seed?

W1 v R16
    W2 v R15
    W3 v R14
    W4 v R13
    W5 v R12
    W6 v R11
    W7 v R10
    W8 v R09

---------------------------

Group Winners
    1. 18 Santos
    2. 16 Flamengo
    3. 13 Libertad
    4. 12 Necaxa
    5. 11 Velez Sarsfield
    6. 10 Gremio
    7. 09 Colo Colo
    Group Runnerups

1. 12 America
    2. 11 Sao Paolo
    3. 10 Nacional (Uru)
    4. 09 Deportivo Cucuta
    5. 09 Parana
    6. 09 Defensor Sporting
    7. 09 Caracas
    The last remaining seeds come from Group 7. They play tomorrow

Toluca vs Cienciano
    Boca vs Bolivas

Ciencieno - 9 pts [+6]
    Toluca - 9 pts [+1]
    Boca Jrs - 7 pts [-1]

-------------------------------------

If Toluca wins, they are automatically in with 12 pts and depending on Goal differential, they will either be 4th or 5th seed.

If that scenario occurs and Boca loses, Cienciano will be top seed in the runnerup group which would force America to force Gremio

If that scenario occurs and Boca wins, America faces Colo Colo.

2. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    Re: Official 2007 Copa Libertadores Knockout Stages Thread: General Discussion

Actualy there's no need for any scenario, colo colo-america is set, since the game between toluca and cianciano is gonna take either one ahead of colo colo, or both are gonna end up with more points than colo colo if they draw....so it's colo colo people....

3. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

you are right..... america and colo colo are fixed

4. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

kind of wierd that most arg. clubs are gone with the exception of velez... boca still has a chance

5. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006

I was watching one of preview shows, or I don't remember if it was el show de la copa, in which those guys from argentina were talking about how the argentine clubs have performed in the last ten years in the copa in comparison with their brazilian counterpart, and pretty much the brazilians have been on top of the competition in the last ten years, with the exeption of those 3 years that boca juniors won it, so it really isn't that much of a surprise, they blamed it on the schedule, they said it favors the brazilian clubs........I guess they should take at our schedule.......

6. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América

So it's set.
    We're going against Culo Culo.
    We can take 'em :cool:

7. Manoro3

Manoro3 Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Los Ángeles

Damn, América-Vélez would have been a lot more interesting.

Weird that the only Brazilian team not to advance was the defending champion.

But the Brazilian teams that did advance are enough to make them the favorites, as usual. Though having more teams than anybody else always helps.

8. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles

colo colo vs america should be a great game. i think america should be able to beat them. wonder who they'll be getting to reinforce the team...

9. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles

also, if toluca wins, that means that they will either be 5th or 4th over all, which means that all three mexican teams are going to be in the same bracket, correct? that's lame.

10. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006

Well they have just one than argentina, and they have five teams in the round of sixteen and just one team out of the competition, and argentinas got almost the complete oposite with just one team in the next round, so i dont think they the highest number of teams in the second round just because of that, but because they are good teams, just look at us we most likely are gonna have the second highest number of teamswith three, and the only country with all its teams advancing to the round of sixteen......

11. gvfatlas

gvfatlas Member

Oct 6, 2004
    GDL
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I'm not sure where you get that from, but it's possible. The Conmebol site has a more detailed bracket but I have class right now, maybe you can check there and see.

If all goes according to my logic the games for the Mexican teams will be the following:

Colo Colo-America(fixed)
    Necaxa-Boca Jrs.(possible) Toluca-Dep. Cucuta(possible)

or

Toluca-Boca Jrs(possible-again) Necaxa-Dep. Cucuta(possible)

12. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

1) Santos vs 16) Caracas
    8) Colo Colo vs 9) America

5) Necaxa vs 12) Nacional
    4) Toluca vs 13) Cucuta

3) Libertad vs 14) Parana
    6) Velez vs 11) Boca Juniors

7) Gremio vs 10) Sao Paulo
    2) Flamengo vs 15) Sporting

Let the fun start.

13. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

W1 v R8 - Santos v Caracas
    W2 v R7 - Flamengo v Defensor Sporting
    W3 v R6 - Libertad v Parana
    W4 v R5 - Toluca v Cucuta
    W5 v R4 - Necaxa v Nacional
    W6 v R3 - Velez Sarsfield v Boca Jrs
    W7 v R2 - Gremio v Sao Paulo
    W8 v R1 - Colo Colo v Club America

---------------------------

Group Winners
    1. 18 Santos
    2. 16 Flamengo
    3. 13 Libertad
    4. 12 Toluca
    5. 12 Necaxa
    6. 11 Velez Sarsfield
    7. 10 Gremio
    8. 09 Colo Colo
    Group Runnerups

1. 12 America
    2. 11 Sao Paolo
    3. 10 Boca Jrs
    4. 10 Nacional (Uru)
    5. 09 Deportivo Cucuta
    6. 09 Parana
    7. 09 Defensor Sporting
    8. 09 Caracas

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Velez vs Boca should be fun.

15. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  16. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  17. Necaxista

Necaxista New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Cuernavaca
    Club:
    Club Necaxa
    Nat'l Team:
    Namibia

We have a good chance to make it to semifinals.
    Nacional is not too hard I think, and Toluca is 50-50.
    Santos/Colo Colo would be hard as hell though.

18. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006

I think toluca's got the easiest series, and culo colo shouldn't be that hard to beat, america should be abe to go through them with ease, but then again we are coached by tena, then again Santos is a whole different story, and I don' really know about necaxa and nacional, I suppose if necaxa gets a good score next week they could take'em down in Aguascalientes, a good score being at least a scored draw a 2-2 at least.......

19. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
  20. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

its a done deal supposedly.

when is the last time a refurzo has done anything in these types of tourneys?

21. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

the ones to have done anything of significance was Navia (2004), Cardozo (2001) and Corona (2005)..

the rest have not done much

22. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  23. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006

I believe Necaxa also got the goalkeeper from atlante, shit I can't remember his name, but you know that overrated argie......

24. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Are you nuts? Vilar is a great keeper...

25. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

add vilar to the list...

they surely upgraded at the keeper position but gracian and oscar rojas? gimme a ********en break... nacional should take this series.

decent pickups but i'm sure they could of gotten a better player than scocco.

that being said, i think they have a good chance of getting past cucuta.

anything is an upgrade from davino but why the ******** did they get the midget for?

btw, why not give rodrigo in~igo a chance?

i have a feeling they will embarrass us again...