Official 2004 J.League Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by LiveinYokohama, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Re: 2004 J-League thread [R]

Tough luck for Urawa, congrats to Yokohama. Couldn't watch the game since I had my K-League commitment and duties :) but I was wondering if any of you guys could find goal clips or post pictures here.

2. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

I am glad Emerson got called for diving. Guys that dive deserve and should expect to be called for diving sometimes even when they don't. That's the price you pay for cheating.

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Only if you're actually cheating.

5. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma

No, I am sure he has gotten away with diving many times before, so it is only fair that he gets called for diving sometimes when he is not. It is not always easy for a ref to judge whether a player is diving or not. So once you establish yourself as a diver, you should expect the calls to go both ways.

6. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

That was one of the more disappointing soccer games that I have seen, and certainly one of the most when one considers that it was for a championship.
    Japanese pride themselves on teamwork, but there certainly wasn’t much from either Urawa or Yokohama.
    They also pride themselves on excellent accomplishment of the basics, the kihon, and a major basic in soccer is controlled passing in order to retain the ball. I can count on the fingers of one hand the times that either team managed to string as many as four passes together,and even when they managed to, the players were shaky. You have to have good one-touch passing in order to possess the ball so that you can move it forward skillfully and win games. Most of what I saw was get the ball, go head down and charge into defenders. Or send up long balls hoping that someone would get it. Someone usually did: The other side. Another disappointing aspect was when defenders who would overload on one attacker, thus leaving another attacker unmarked. J-League has to make some needed improvements in its basic approach to the game so it can train the players needed for the national team to play in World Cup competition.

7. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan

Without Kubo and Ahn, Marinos didn't have enough firepower and was forced to play defensively and capitalize set pieces. Instead of playing possession-oriented football, they intentionally sent long balls down the flanks so that they could dodge pressure and quick, short counterattacks that Reds could otherwise have lauched. By pushing up the defense line, they successfully packed Urawa into a very narrow area and isolated Emerson from his teammates. Marinos played like the Champs and did what other clubs couldn't do; they knew that they could nullify Urawa's attack by separating their attacking, central, and defensive thirds. It was all part of their strategy to win the championship. How will Urawa fight back in the second leg? The red shirts will probably dominate both the stands and the pitch, but the scoreline is not really predictable.

8. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Tokushima and Kusatsu joined the J-League

Meanwhile, our league has made another step forward. Expansion!

The J-League has officially recognized Vortis Tokushima and Thespa Kusatsu as the 29th and 30th members. Welcome. :cool:

Vortis Tokushima is the first ever professional sport club from the island of Shikoku. Otsuka Pharmaceuticals won JFL and finally decided to turn professional. Although Kusatsu lost to Honda FC and dropped to the 3rd in the final match of JFL, the club was allowed to join J2. Ehime FC, which is also from Shikoku, was denied entry this year because the team finished 5th and are financially unstable.

Both clubs will start playing in J2 next year.

9. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Jubilant Vortis Supporters

[​IMG]

Time to dance Awa-odori. :)

Chairman Suzuki:

"Tokushima has an experience of building a solid team, and Kusatsu has passionate local fans in that spa resort. They are interesting newcomers with different styles. I believe that it's possible to expand J1 to 20 clubs and J2 to 14 clubs, but we'd rather stick to the 18-club first division for at least three years to come. People will recognize all of them. "

10. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    It's Rosso Kumamoto

Jリーグ設立運動 チーム名「ロッソ熊本」、カラーは赤

The new football club in Kumamoto has been named Rosso Kumamoto. Jerseys are red. It's a logical conclusion because Kumamoto is also known as the Land of Fire symbolized by a caldera volcano, Mt. Aso.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rosso Kumamoto will select new players and establish its operating company by the end of the month.

11. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Help!

This is the only place in Big Soccer I could find that was appropriate to ask this.

I've been looking on the net and have not been able to figure out how to order a jersey for any Japanese clubs. Specifically I'm looking for Kyoto in the J2. Can anybody help?

thanks

12. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Tokushima Vortis
    LOGO:
    [​IMG]

EMBLEM:
    [​IMG]

FLAG:
    [​IMG]

13. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those are so, so much better than most of the MLS logos. Kudos to their design team.

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

No, not really.

15. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ironically, I was thinking of one logo in particular when I made my first comment:

[​IMG]

I mean, what's the star for? It's not like the Metros have ever won anything...

16. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

dude, don't even joke. At least J.League clubs have better name than any MLS club.

i mean, Real Salt Lake?

17. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

HAHA... I completely agree. I hate that name.

Names like Jubilo, Sanfreece, Marinos, and Purple Sanga are much better names, and more uinque, than ReAL Salt Lake.

18. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Also all the J.League clubs' names are related their local history/legends/characteristic

19. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Some of the MLS clubs can say that, like the Great Chicago Fire, and how so many celebrities ("stars") live out in LA, hence the Galaxy. The Revolution also signify the break for independence from Britain. But names like the Metrostars, Crew, and Wizards have me completely flabbergasted. And Salt Lake.... what?

Colorado has a cool name though.

20. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Knowledge is the key to the lock. In the State (province, prefecture)of Ohio road construction (due to the harsh winter's wear on the asphalt) is the norm hence the name CREW. This also refers to the hard labor involved and the blue collar lifestyle that some would argue keeps the state running (look at the elections. What part of the Ohio populous was key?? the hard working, blue collar people).

OBVIOUSLY, The Wizard of OZ was in Kansas, hai? New York is a Metropolitan city, right? And some of my "co-workers" from New York tend to think of themselves as Stars :rolleyes:

21. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan

:D

Does Real Salt Lake have any affiliation with Real Madrid? And it's pronounced as ReAL, not Real, right? Do you guys think that American soccer teams should have American names, like the Revs, Rapids, etc.? Do you prefer names that are in line with European / Latin American football, such as Club Deportivo Chivas USA, Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas?

FC or SC is simple and good, but if there are lots of FCs and SCs all across Japan, I might find it boring... FC Tokyo (J1), Yokohama FC (J2), Ehime FC (JFL), Tochigi SC(JFL), SC Tottori (JFL), Gumma FC Horikoshi (JFL), Mitsubishi Motors Mizushima FC (promoted to JFL), Nagasaki Ariake SC, Shizuoka FC, FC Gifu, Nangoku Kochi FC, FC Ryukyu, and I'm sure there are countless others who aspire to be in the J-League. The people in Tokushima named their club after the oceanic vortices observed there, and I think that's cool.

22. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Championship second leg

Nakanishi has been sent off and...

'75 1-0 Santos hit a free kick into the lower-left corner to make the aggregate score even!

Urawa 1-0 Yokohama

Tulio was unmarked and headed a corner kick, which went straight head-to-head to the Marinos goalie, and that was the last play in the regulation time.

The match is sent into extra time.

23. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tense and on edge[​IMG]

24. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan

Red card to Emerson! He stomped on a Marinos player...

FT Urawa 1-0 Yokohama

Now penalty shootouts...

25. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True colors??? or the heat of the battle???
    At any rate, the penalties. Gambatte Marinos!