The "Let's All Laugh at aust!n" Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jack sticker, Jan 14, 2019.

1. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Frat Tony looks like someone was asked to draw their idea of a tub of queso personified, with their left hand.

catfish9 repped this.
  2. El Pelón

El Pelón Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    What or why they did what they did in Columbus regarding Hispanic outreach has nothing to do with me or how I feel about it.

My sole reaction was to Bill being surprised that they would reach out down here and not up there.

Anything else is just y'all trying to put words in mouth and argue against things that I didn't do or say...

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Surprised" at Precourt behaving like a craven bastard?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The guy is a despicable slug. A maggot. Something one scrapes off.their shoe.

Nothing he does surprises me or anyone else. All I did was point it out, for your benefit. Everybody around here already knows what a contemptible swine he is.

CybrSlydr and catfish9 repped this.
  4. El Pelón

El Pelón Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
  5. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Why are you still here? Leave, you are not welcomed.

LainfordExpress repped this.
  6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody brought up how he brought up an ancient thread from different times? Yes, it was mentioned that LTA is loved and respected, but the fact that it was six phucking years ago...ouch.

Try for a newer thread next time, you brain dead imbecile.

Or just get lost.

7. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So you don't care because it was done to OTHER Hispanics?...

8. El Pelón

El Pelón Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    I don't care because it's not my community. Ideally, every FO would be able to cater to both markets, but it doesn't surprise me that it wouldn't be a priority in Columbus, Ohio, where I'd view getting more fans in general to come to games to be higher priority than catering to a specific, relatively small, market.

What sort of Hispanic outreach has the new ownership group implemented? Why isn't columbuscrewsc.com available in Spanish like austinfc.com is? What did your supporters' groups and/or FO do for Hispanic Heritage Month?

9. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is absolutely the mentality in that gawd awful city. They live in fairy tale land where they think they are insulated from the outside world. They have their own little utopia where it is all rainbows and sunshine. Never mind they have planned the city poorly and have major traffic issues. Never mind it is a very highly segregated city. They love to talk about their Hispanic culture and eat tacos, but most Hispanics can even live in the hip areas and core of the city. Never mind legalize camping & sidewalk sleeping leading to a massive homelessness problem. Weird that Austin seems full of Portland, Seattle & California transplants. Seems they maybe they were trying escape some of these very same things that have overwhelmed those other areas after instituting similar liberal policies. Seems they don't learn from their mistakes. And I didn't even talk about the oppressive heat. We all wanted to see Precourt burn in hell, now that I think about it maybe he is already there.

10. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you can see no difference between "catering to" Hispanic fans and REFUSING TO SELL THEM.TICKETS??????

You are the worst kind of willfully ignorant asshole and you have spent the day digging a hole.

Now piss off.

11. El Pelón

El Pelón Member

Oct 13, 2019
    Austin, TX
    All this business about refusing to sell LTA tickets, etc., is not anything that I care to comment on, nor what I originally posted about.

Since you seem a bit dense, my only point is that it's not racist to cater to Hispanics in Texas and not in Ohio. And like you actually care about the Hispanic community up there outside of trying to use it to pin some bullshit on me.

12. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, I wonder why.

What you should be asking yourself is why your jackass owner did what he did and if you want to give him your $$ based on his past actions.

I know your answer, no need to reply.

catfish9 and RafaLarios repped this.
  13. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd always wondered by Orlando City was Orlando City and not Austin Generic Name. Now I think PSV seems to be on track to further emulate Orlando. With the recent big sale of OCFC, we see a map laid out for how PSV can reap what they've sown. I don't like it one bit.

At least OCFC started in USL, built an identity and then paid in to the league. PSV tried to sneak off with Crew and then after a slap on the wrist gets to sit out and launch in 2021.

Now the guy who couldn't figure out how to get it done in Austin is walking away from OCFC with a giant payday. Trust-fund Tony's dad likely has dollar signs in his eyes. If they could just hold on and not royally make a mess of things in Austin for a year or 2, they might just turn $250M into $750M or more.

Now, can he manage not to screw it up.....

russ, Kryptonite and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  14. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna go with "no".

zman31 repped this.
  15. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, man. Leave his kids alone!! He already said he hopes to leave his kids the team one day, only to dilute their bequest by bringing in a bunch of strange old men investors, with whom they're gonna have to share it with. Now this?!! You are ruining their dreams. Plus, he bought a CON.DO. in the city. He's committed!

catfish9 repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quelle surprise

Aaaaand there it is.

When you're getting your ass kicked, call them a racist.

Sorry pal, doesn't work on me.

russ, catfish9 and CybrSlydr repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a lot less complicated than everyone is trying to make it.

The reason why the scumbag in question is marketing to Hispanics in Texas after not doing so in Ohio is absolutely simple: In Columbus, he didn't WANT to succeed. In Austin, he does.

This subject doesn't require any more keystrokes than that.

18. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I'm pretty sure I said the same thing a few pages ago but it must be something in the Austin heat that doesn't allow them to comprehend.

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could modify the above in all sorts of ways:

- "the reason he'd only open 1-2 gates for home matches (even MLS playoff matches), which would cause huge back-ups trying to get into the damned stadium"

- "the reason he didn't market the team"

- "the reason he gutted the FO"

- "the reason he stopped maintaining the stadium"

- "the reason he drove away long-time corporate sponsors by offering them take-it-or-leave-it sponsorship deals at double what they had previously paid, for no discernable reason"

- "the reason he stiffed deal-makers here (like the Schottensteins)"

- "the reason why he invited the local media out to a 'get to the know the new owner' gathering at a local restaurant, and then made it a separate checks affair"

- "the reason he rejected an offer for free land downtown on which to build a new stadium"

And so on, and so on, and so on...

POdinCowtown, russ, crew2112 and 6 others repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4045 Kryptonite, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020

All totally valid points, except for the gate issue. What would Jimmy Haslam and Dr. Pete have done? Honestly. I'm all ears.

Some of us saw the writing on the wall and left tailgates early. It's like driving in snow. You know things are going to be different, so leave earlier and allow extra time.

Of course, if there was something inside the stadium like a pre-game happy hour or discounted pre-game food, people might have been more inclined to go in early, but this is the guy who hated promotions because he "didn't want to devalue the product" which was code for "any and all sabotage will be considered."

Edit: I found the email. They had pat-downs at the gates, however, they also had a $5 beer promotion before kickoff.

21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not I sure I get your point. Haslam/Edwards would have opened more gates and made it easier to get into the stadium. That's what happened as soon as they took over.

PSV wanted to make it inconvenient to attend a Crew game. They didn't advertise. Wasn't it a supporters group that arranged for some local billboard ads about Crew playoff tickets? Hell, they didn't crow on social media when we sold out games. Fans in the stands ran against the narrative they were committed to follow. So, yeah, making people stand in absurdly long lines to get into the stadium was just part of that strategy. A snow storm is an act of God and, yes, you plan accordingly. But what PSV did was just a bunch of acts by an asshole intent on scuttling the franchise. Not quite the same thing.

POdinCowtown, Pauncho, crew2112 and 2 others repped this.
  22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those games weren't also Trick-or-treat night (aka a big distraction that involves many potential staff members) and announced only a couple days before (aka barely enough lead time.) If it was 2-3 weeks lead time, you certainly have enough time to line up volunteer groups to run the gates, as happened numerous times prior.

Act of God or not, only a fool wouldn't allow extra time to get into a sold-out stadium. Going in to a game with pat-downs at the gate (and fans wearing coats) isn't the same amount of time per fan as a regular season game that isn't sold out.

If it takes 20 minutes from the restaurant table to the seat at Nationwide for a hockey game vs LA or Florida on a Wednesday night, how much time should someone allow for Saturday game vs Pittsburgh or even a playoff game?

I certainly allow extra travel time for OSU basketball vs UNC-Charlotte as opposed to a conference game.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  23. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Mate, you do you, but I'd let this place be. You're trying to argue with a bunch of bitter exes. It's just not worth it.

24. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

RafaLarios repped this.
  25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won. You lost.

We got much better ownership, we'll have a much better stadium, and we have a much better team with a history thats second to none.

Nothing to be bitter about, sweetie pie.

DAFCrew and RafaLarios repped this.