The "Let's All Laugh at aust!n" Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jack sticker, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights may have been based on some truth.

2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3527 Bill Archer, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    My house was built in 1956 and it has s huge cistern under the garage which is fed from the downspouts from the roof, and a pumping system which can fill a 300 gallon indoor water tank in the basement which supplies the outside spigots for watering the lawn and the garden.

My grandfathers house, which he built in 192-something, had a similar system only you had to pump it out by hand.

But please, Austinites, explain rainwater catchment to us rubes in Ohio cause we're just stupid.

And here I rhought it was Seattle that invented everything

Robbo Crewfan, catfish9 and LaMacchia repped this.
  3. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    My money would have been on them starting next season playing at a high school stadium. Probably couldn't afford the rent.

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Wouldn't be the first MLS team in Texas to do that.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall flying over one on the way into Dallas and being amazed at the size--and quality.

6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I've always considered odd about the Austin stadium is that the design has remained virtually unchanged since the initial renderings. Oh, they've put in a beer hall, sure, but it didn't affect the design or layout. The consistency is just weird. Most stadium project initial renderings are more conceptual, with following drawings fleshing out the details, showing the facility's cool features that somehow make it unique. In Austin, it's still the same simple layout, same exact roof. About the only 'unique' feature I recall them announcing were those mesh seats, designed to keep cracksweat to a minimum. Of course, those same seats appear in lots of other stadiums.

Look, I don't think it'll be a bad stadium. Better than what the Fire had in Bridgeview. Better than Frisco or Yankee Stadium. It just doesn't seem like it'll be anything special. And it'll be hard to get to. And 100 degrees on match day for a big chunk of the season.

Tobias C repped this.
  7. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep saying I want PSV to fail as much as the next Crew fan, but I'm starting to wonder if I really do because we certainly seem to grasp at anything we can remotely get our hands on that even has the appearance of a weapon that can be wielded.

I think I need a lesson from Emperor Palpatine so that I can really let my hate flow through me in such a manner

8. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put a roof just like TFCs over it and poof ....it's now your soccer stadium. But you probably had ample parking at your HS stadium and didn't have to park at mall and play human Frogger to get there.

9. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half of Austin moved there from Portland or Seattle.

10. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The seats spell out AUSTIN FC now. Just like in Europe!

11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Authentic!

12. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    They played and will play MLS games in my HS stadium. NASL, too. George Best played there when I was in high school.

13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grow the Legend.

14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, ******** that. I've lived in Austin long enough to know that this city can drive you ********ing crazy. It's a sweltering, congested sub-metropolis full of slack-asses and yuppies who simultaneously take themselves too seriously and not seriously enough. It's a place where spending $11 on a sandwich is considered a societal good. It's a place where entitled people claim ownership of everything.

Austin is a place where bad people move. People in Austin actually believe they invented the breakfast taco. People in Austin will tell a Mexican family who has lived on the same street for generations that they're doing their best to "save the neighborhood."

If that's not enough, here are some more reasons Austin sucks.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Ryan Joy

The Yuppiness Is So Chronic it Borders on Self-Parody

The following is an actual exchange I had with somebody in Austin not too long ago:

"We have to go to that place—they have whiskey-infused bacon!"

"So?"

"Whiskey-infused bacon! That's so cool!"

"But like, why? Why is that cool? How is that more than just a thing? Why should I be excited that some dude made bacon and left it in a bottle of whiskey?"

"Come on, don't be a party pooper."

There are so many "crazy" and "awesome" things in Austin! The taco cannon! The mustache competition! The pun-off! Everyone is really excited about all of these things. People are very excited to see horribly self-involved white people tell puns at a bar. That's something you do in Austin; it's part of the scene. Why do you go to the pun-off? Because it fits a certain collection of circumstances and idealized cultural values that supposedly makes Austin what it is. By virtue of its own perceived audacity, a pun-off, whiskey-infused bacon, or a ratball bad taco somehow becomes really cool.

But you're not keeping Austin weird. You're engaging in this fake, utterly distasteful blend of irony and feigned enthusiasm that will eventually cause the city to self-implode under the density of its own facetiousness. Soon you won't be able to identify a single genuine emotion within its borders. You don't actually care about whiskey-infused bacon. You don't give a shit about whiskey-infused bacon. You're pretending to, because that's what keeps the whole city from feeling like a big lie.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Maxine Sheppard

It's Way Too Hot

Seriously. April and October are generally pretty nice in Austin, but every other month is either abrasively cold or stupid hot. You swim through the humidity here. It will utterly destroy your ass the second you walk outside. It gets so hot it will actually stop you from going to shows.

Back in 2012 we broke a record with more than 69 days with a temperature of 100 degrees or higher. That's 69 days. So before you move here, you should probably be aware that any city getting that kind of heat is inherently unholy.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Gina Pina

Nobody Has a Clue What His or Her Job Is

When ye build a city on the promise of employing every vague Comm-degree'd asshole in America, ye will reap what ye sow.

"So what do you do?"

"Oh, you know, marketing stuff."

"What kind of marketing stuff?"

"I'm a digital marketer."

"What's that?"

"It's just marketing stuff."

I was recently rejected for a job in Austin that forced me to write a haiku about my feelings in regard to the application process. That's what we've done in Austin: We've traded our marketable skills for haikus. When you move here you separate yourself from any childhood aspirations and settle down with a job that you're still not sure actually exists.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Flickr user Kirkh

Traffic Is Way Too Bad for a Town This Small

I don't even leave the house during rush hour. It's not worth it. Austin is a small town that's grown way, way faster than its infrastructure allows.

The whole city is networked by dinky two-laners, which means it takes ********ing forever to get anywhere, and "anywhere" always has terrible parking. The dream is that Austin eschews the big-city problems that makes life miserable on the coasts, but in Central Texas, you'll still be spending way too much time sitting in traffic.

Everyone Hates the Festivals That Pay Their Rent

Hell hath no fury like a bunch of Austin transplants bitching about South by Southwest. These days their ire is focused more on the F1 races and, more recently, the X Games. It feels like anything cool or interesting happening in Austin is immediately met with local animosity, because ******** anyone excited about your city if it makes the JuiceLand line longer.

But the thing those people fail to understand is that the only reason they're employed, the only reason they even enjoy living in Austin, is because of those larger corporate interests. If this were Austin in the 80s, before all the development, you wouldn't have your condo, you wouldn't have your job, and you certainly wouldn't have all your favorite restaurants. The whole anti-corporation thing is a lie. You will thank those SXSW sponsors for making your life comfortable, and you will like it.

[​IMG]
    Photo by Jennifer Holcombe

Barton Springs Is a Giant Toilet

People in Austin love going to Barton Springs. It's the most iconic spot in the whole city. It's just a swimming hole, but it's treated like Mecca by the people who live here. It's frigid, communal, charming, and when you don't have a beach, you do the best you can, right?

Of course, if you swim in Barton Springs you might go blind if you open your eyes underwater. Why? Well, because of all the "fertilizer, leaked motor oil, metals, and other pollution" that is currently contaminating the water. Man, there's nothing better than waking up to a nice swim and the sweet tingling of pink eye in the morning!

[​IMG]
    Photo by Sean Savage

You're Still In Texas

You may be living in Austin, but you still can't buy liquor on Sundays, marry someone of the same sex, or legally smoke marijuana. In fact, Texas drug laws are some of harshest in the country. I know a band whose old drummer is currently spending multiple years in prison for growing and distributing weed.

People think when you move to Austin you're somehow not moving to a deeply conservative state. This is still Texas, and unless you're ready to deal with that, move to Minneapolis or something.

Everyone Is Scared to Move to a Real City

Everyone in Austin under the age of 25 is sort of plotting a move to New York. They will not move, though, because they are scared. Living in a city where things are actually expected of you is hard. It's much easier to blame your professional and personal failings on the lack of inertia in Austin.

It's just so much nicer to hunker down in an inclusive local scene than trying to reach your potential as a human. Austin is like the safety school of life.

russ, RafaLarios, catfish9 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill, is this an original piece of work, or is it cut-and-pasted from somewhere?

16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cut and paste from an anonymous donor ( who is actually a FCK fan)

catfish9 repped this.
  17. AustinSoccerBro

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 2, 2018
    That guy is really mad about not getting that job.

18. LaVerdad

LaVerdad New Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Oct 27, 2019
    Austin
  19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but where is this data coming from? The club?

20. LaVerdad

LaVerdad New Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Oct 27, 2019
    Austin
    No, once it's your turn to buy tickets, you can see how many seats are left in each section. As of Friday, there were fewer than 3000 left. They are opening sales to a fixed number of people each day, so people have been sharing what there deposit timestamp was. Some brave redditer has compiled all the info into a spreadsheet.

They have been selling 400-500 tickets each day, so at that rate they should be out within this week or next.

21. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll admit that I'm not up-to-date on Austin FC news, but you'd think that they - or the league - would be publicizing the hell out of an expansion franchise being that close to selling out season tickets. Especially a franchise with such lukewarm support around the league.

No offense, but I won't believe that Austin FC has sold out of its inventory of season tickets until I see it on MLSSoccer.com.

22. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So based on this observation, it would be safe to conclude that this is only a representation of what the club is showing as available seats remaining?

I wonder if there has been a precedent set by ol' Clarkie and Two Buttons of doing that in the past.....

23. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BRO!!!! Bro.... Seriously..... Bruh.... WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN????? They've sold, like, 7,790,000* season tickets already.

*Assumes 20,500/game for 19 games per season for 20 seasons

catfish9, LaMacchia and Bill Archer repped this.
  24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see.

I've noted that some of Reddit have theorized that not every seat has been open up for sale. All sections, maybe, but not every seat.

I don't know how many season tickets Austin will sell, how many seats they'll set aside for single game tickets. I assume they'll sell a lot of tickets in season one. I'd just caution fans on Reddit that what they see on a sales call with a rep might not equate to full stadium capacity. Most clubs with stadiums of this size and who have a very solid season ticket base hold back 5k tickets (give or take) for single game sales. I'd guess (and that's all it is) that Austin's season ticket sales goal for 2021 would be around 15k full season equivalents.

25. LaVerdad

LaVerdad New Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Oct 27, 2019
    Austin

There are two sections in one of the corners that are for visiting fans (~1000 seats), but most visiting teams won't fill them, so I imagine those will be part of the seats that are held back for single game tickets.

I had a very early timestamp so I was able to see availability for all general seating before many had been sold. There weren't any other blocks of seats held back as far as I could see, which kind of surprised me. They have said there will be a percentage held back for single games, but I'm not sure what the system will be for that.

So far, there have not been any partial season tickets made available, only full season.