Off topic--What is the best sportsbar in DC?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sajuan, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Sajuan

Sajuan New Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Central, PA
    Coming down this Sunday to watch DC officially make it back into the playoffs and have decided to make an extended weekend out of it.

Any suggestions on the BEST place to catch some college NCAA football as well as some MLS matches?

Must have an ample selection of beer on tap!

Also, who has the best tailgate party and what time does it start on Sunday.

Thanks.

2. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Summers used to be *the* sports bar in the area. But they've gotten mroe competition lately.

Grevey's is around the corner from me and I've seen some DC games there lately.

The Rock was a cool place downtown, but I gather it's gone now. :(

The ESPN Zone is also popular downtown.

Check out this listing but doublecheck that the place is still going strong; the list seems a little old.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If you're in Northern Virginia around Springfield check out Kilroy's. It's a real "Cheers" type joint with 46 tv's. All the college ball you can handle on Saturday and maybe they'll even put on the Saturday afternoon MLS game. Good beer selection and real good food.

It's also where some of the Barra meet pregame for a couple of cold ones before we head down to lot 8. If you're interested in meeting us and joining our tailgate, PM me and I'll guide you in. Enjoy....

Chico

http://www.kilroys-restaurant.com/

4. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    There's a brand new place in Ballston Common called Bailey's. It's where the old JC Penny was. Huge, I've never seen so many tvs.

5. Sajuan

Sajuan New Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Central, PA
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Not sure where we will end up but at least we have some options.

Chico, we may very well end up in Lot 8 for the pre-game festivities & some front-end loading. I guess we should look for a Barra flag or something?

6. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Lucky/ Fado

Lucky Bar is in the city and fairly easy to get to, at Connecticut, 18th and M. They usually open early on Saturday and Sunday for live Euro soccer (usually English Premier League and something else); by the time college football is on, they'll likely have both. By 9 pm or so on Friday and Saturday, the sports takes a back seat to music/socializing. They, along with Capitol Lounge and Summer's, have MLS Shootout. Lucky Bar tip: Don't curse the Welsh, and don't cheer for Chelsea or the Metro-Stars. The owner is Man U., DC United and Wales nats. Phone is: (202)331-3733

Fado Irish Pub (808 7th St., NW) is closer to the Mall and also opens early for English games. Lots of Liverpool shirts and Pogues on the jukebox; not really an MLS bar, but it's where the MLS lads usually party after the games.

Schedules for cover-charge or drink-minimum matches at Lucky, Fado, Capitol Lounge and a new Capitol Hill bar called The Pourhouse ("Where MLS Minimum-Salary Players Drink For Free!") are at:
    http://www.soccer-nation.com/TV Schedule.htm

Ample beers at all of the above.

If I've screwed up on who has MLS Shootout and who's from Wales, feel free to correct me.

7. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    Lot 8 is the best sportsbar in the area.

There's free cerveza (ok quality),plenty of locos, good looking chicas, fireworks, music and a few topshelf bottles circulating. The games aren't half bad either...usually. Free commentary on all subjects from the wise elders of the Barra too.

8. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    go to www.barra-brava.com and click on "tailgates" at the top. there is a map to tailgate. there is always a barra flag flying.

9. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    It's the best dang tailgate in MLS.....Period!

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I went there last night to watch a little baseball and was pleased to see the USOC final on more than one of the TVs, meaning I didn't have to watch baseball. It didn't look like anyone was specifically there to watch the game, and I was told by a friend that they've seen soccer on the screens there before.

Next time I'm over there I may ask the manager about satellite and just how "soccer-friendly" they intend to be. There's a good beer selection, the food is reportedly good -- and yes, it is massive.