OFF TOPIC The olympics..

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Lanesra, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Because the current funding levels will be adjusted because of the need for Olympic funding. It might not affect athletes expected to compete for the GB team, but it will impact other athletes, our young athletes and everything that was in the pipeline for Scottish sport, including facilities.

The issue is not what competition is better. The issue is Scotland (and Wales and NI) having to pay for something that only benefits one location and one country. That is the issue. If you want the Olympics, then fine by me. Just don't expect us to pay for something that will not benefit us in the slightest. We do enough of that as it is.

2. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    The football venues are already decided:

Old Trafford
    St James' Park
    Villa Park
    Hampden Park (which is in a place just outside London, called Scotland)

3. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    I'd rather be out on my own late in New York than in Stratford. It's real bad!

4. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Please don't tell me we're giving Scotland some of this? They don't want it! :D

5. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Look at it as payback:)

6. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Were you so resentful when Manchester hosted the Commonwealth Games? Surely that must have diverted funding for sportsmen and sporting facilities from Scotland? Or is it particularly London you have a problem with?

7. Lanesra

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Didn't take long :D

8. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    It makes sense to spread the football around a bit. But why not Millenium Stadium, Highbury Road, or the Stadium of Light?

I thought also that the Crystal Palace might have been refurbished for track and field (what you folks there cal "athletics") instead of building a new behemoth in Stratford.

Anyone know what The Oval, Twickenham, and Milton Keynes (the former national field hockey stadium) will host?

9. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    So does this mean England will now do what they've done before and send all the hooligans and "undesirables" to Australia during the Games? :D

10. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The stadia specified are fine for the football tournament. They have large capacities and are used to the crowds. I'd like to have Ashburton Grove used from a purely personal point of view, but a case could be made for any of them.

To use Crystal Palace you'd probably need to demolish and rebuild it anyway. Added to that, the rail links at Stratford are way better (2 tube lines, suburban railway, Eurostar station at Stratford as opposed to just suburban railway at Crystal Palace).

I don't think The oval, Twickers or MK are in the plan. I'm surprised that The oval isn't included as it has hosted baseball exhibition games before. Twickenham does have some restrictions from the local council on how many events it can hold in a year, I don;t know if this was a sticking point as it's a magnificent stadium.

11. Lanesra

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    And another

12. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nice!

13. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that England (and/or GB?) doesn't participate in Olympic soccer because there isn't a united soccer federation set up. What is the story behind that?

14. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And how exactly is Scotland going to lose out? It will be London paying for it, along with London businesses, plus, don't forget that the team fielding is a "British team", which includes Scotland. And who is paying to help Andy Murray, Wimbledon's new shining star. "The All ENGLAND Tennis Club".
    Just be proud to be British and not come up with the centuries old "sour grapes". After all, you have your own Parliament, which is more than us "English" have.!

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that since England participates in the Olympics as GBR, all the different football associations would have to agree on fielding a team and they have not done so and are not inclined to do so. But, please, someone correct me if that is wrong.

Edit: See discussion here...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5439716#post5439716

16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda weird that there are no London football stadiums being used.

17. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well the final will be at Wembley...

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the Millenium Stadium will be hosting football games as well. BBC Sport The article says that Wales may host the cycling and swimming events too, now maybe my knowledge of geography is off, but since when is Cardiff in London? I understand when cities have to move events to appropriate venues, but it seems a kind of ridiculous. If there's one thing that London has plenty of, its football stadiums.

19. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Well, when is Cambridge, Mass. in Los Angeles? Or Washington, DC in Atlanta? And they let the Cretans (or cretins) take an Athens event or two, yes?

20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got me. I don't pay much attention to the Olympics.

21. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scotland isn't too close either, but matches will be played there as well. London is the "host" city, but some of the events are spread out so not everything is crammed into one place and the rest of the country (or countries in this case) get some of the action.