Off Topic and Other Sports Thread

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by Calcio Pauly, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They talk shit, but it's like cave man shit talking. Watch the press conference, Diaz is just getting himself angrier and angrier, and GSP was laughing at him near the end. Yea, he almost got caught up in it, but each time he just let Diaz continue whining, Diaz went more and more into a hole. I don't think it's working the way Diaz intended, to be honest. He's got social anxiety and emotional issues for whatever reason, which distorts his view of things. He keeps saying GSP is trash talking, and is "out of line" but he's done about 10x as much. It's entertaining though, I agree with that. Might even be better than the fight.

2. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
  3. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    GSP will win "fairy squarley" and break Diaz's face with gnp. Hendricks will use his wrestling to win. Wrestlers win and dominate. I know, I'm biased towards wrestling, but it is the best.

4. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, that's the first time I've seen that press conference. Makes me like Nick Diaz even more.

5. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    whill4 do you like him because his projections and contradictions are entertaining, or because he's just nuts?

Honestly I don't think even he knows what he's up to, he's just emoting from some sort of deep rooted psychological disturbance "have you ever had a gun to your head Georges?!" lol

Check this one out...his PR handler was trying nicely to let him know that he sounds a bit crazy:

6. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i'm partial to the ferraris, but i think vettel's red bull will be quick. the mercedes looked good in the first round of qualifying too. i'll pick alonso though... every time.

7. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think he's funny and I love to see him getting fighters and fans riled up. He's also a fun fighter to watch, and I've always liked his style of boxing where he has both hands over his head. He's definitely a nut, but you probably have to be to want to become a cage fighter.

I've also never been a huge GSP fan. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, but some of his fights can be pretty boring and he never goes for the KO. Like Diaz said in the press conference, a lot of the time he just lays on top of his opponent and just throws the random elbows in so the ref doesn't stand them back up.

8. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    No doubt a good fighter, and yes totally crazy. He really has no filter however, and with that I think he riles himself up more than others. Yes he can back it up and that's probably what has stopped him from taking a good look at his approach. Like Dana said, he could be so much more if he knew how to play the game, but he just talks without thinking :D and from a fan perspective it's entertaining.

I think GSP is going to out smart him though.

I don't really see it that way to be honest. George is so strong for his size, so naturally he's going to control them when he takes them to ground, but people forget he was a puncher from the beginning and in almost all of his fights he out strikers his opponents then for points keeps dropping them at will because he actually can. He broke Koschek's face, took a serious blow from Condit and still out hit him as well, ditto BJ. He tried to break Hardy's arm, ie; finish the fight.

It's just that he's good at a lot of things. Diaz, of course, is the better boxer, but GSP is stronger and why not elbow someones face into a bloody pulp when on the ground? You're taking a lot out of them.

I don't really understand all the GSP criticism from a pure MMA perspective because he mixes it up as well as anyone else. He can strike, kick, wrestle and is stronger than all of his opponents.

I think he's too good so those who can't get the best of him in the ring need to come up with something to complain about.

The hype for this fight has been great, I just hope the pre fight show isn't better than the fight itself :)

9. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FB prelims just started

And yeah I'm not calling GSP a John Fitch type of boring. But I don't really find GSP all that great to watch sometimes. I don't have a problem with fights going to the ground, and there are plenty of entertaining fighters that are specialize in wrestling. I just don't think George is one of them. He definitely prefers to just grind it out for five rounds rather than ever go for the knock out, even when the knock out is there.

Hopefully tonight will be different though.

10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Listen to this. It's hilarious, fake, but absolutely hilarious

whill4 repped this.
  11. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ever since GSP got KO'ed by Serra he's played it safe. Nothing crazy about fighting. Most guys are pretty melo.

12. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    3 wrong so far. Carvalho stoppage sucked. Miller should have finished the armbar.

13. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And if you wrestled or did bjj or judo you just have to adapt to striking.

14. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that was terrible stoppage in the Carvalho fight. I think the ref even realized he messed up as soon as he called it.

15. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw a tweet from Dana White that he's making a special announcement after this fight. Hope Diaz didn't test positive for weed and the fight is being canned.

Edit: Never mind, just TUF coaches

16. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Time to watch the fights for free. Not paying for this one. Throw another win up for me. Fat man Christie needs to get this sports betting legal.

17. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another in the win column.

18. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost as excited for this fight as the main. Really like both Condit and Hendricks.

19. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that was five rounds I think Condit would have won that. Hendriks just had way too many takedowns the first two rounds.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  20. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hendricks vs Condit was the fight of the night for me. GSP controlled and neutralized Diaz, but I was hoping for a bit more.

I'm real drunk right now or I'd elaborate. Condit...good shit, hendricks too...GSP is just too strong, no one has a chance to impose their game on him. After he squares off with Hendricks they need to make him and Silva a reality!

whill4 repped this.
  21. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We laid in bed watching on the laptop tonight. I fell asleep after the Ellenberger fight. Woke up during parts of the others. GSP/Silva should have happened by now. Think I was 8-4 with my picks.

22. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I was 1-1, but like Whil said, I think if the Condit/Hendricks fight were a 5 rounder, Condit would have come out on top. Hendricks won the first 2, and Condit that last one. Hendricks looked gassed while Condit still fresh. That was the best fight for sure!

Post fight press conference was pretty funny too. Diaz going back and forth as usual, no one really knowing what he's saying or doing. Appears he's trying to get a re-match with GSP, but also said he'd take on Silva and that would be a better fight than GSP and Silva. Diaz is one crazy mofo, very funny guy however.

23. gcstorm9

gcstorm9 Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Diaz is a good fighter but a very stupid individual. He came out saying how he wasnt ready and hes not sure why no one helped him. He wishes people would help him out and old a story on how he didn't understand the time change so he just slept till 2 hrs before the fight. I like his attitude and his not scared of anyone routine, but he needs to grow up. He's a fighter, but not a professional. IF the guy has someone in his corner telling him hey do this and do that than I think he could be a top notch guy. I personally dislike him and his brother, but now I feel bad for him. Hes just a guy whose misguided. IF he had the type of people in his corner to help him with his personal life instead of "coaches" he can be something. Not showing up on time, or testing positive for weed or not getting the simple idea time zone change to know what time your fight is on your coast compared to when you will be fighting is just childish. Either way GSP is the man and that Condit vs Hendricks fight was awesome.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  24. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited to see the Hendricks vs GSP fight. GSP is finally meeting a guy that's probably just as strong as he is and has a ridiculous punch. I just don't know if he will be able last five rounds.

I missed the post fight conference so I don't know if Dana already did the other match ups, but I'd also really like to see Condit vs Rory MacDonald.

Welterweight is really turning into a great division.

25. GMangs

GMangs Red Card

Apr 21, 2012
    NJ
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope Hendricks wins.