Off the Ball from BBC Radio Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by WerderBremenYank, Oct 26, 2009.

1. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone else ever listen to this show?

Perhaps its my perspective as a foreigner listening to the show, but I find it very humorous, and actually look forward to being able to download the podcast every week. Tam Cowan and Stuart Cosgrove have a great chemistry, and are a joy to listen to.

....I sound like a friggin paid promoter of the show. I was just curious if any of you guys also listened to this show regularly, and if anyone does, perhaps use this thread for weekly show discussion.

2. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I don't actually. Although I think I could get it on the BBC iPlayer down south. Means I can listen to it when I want. Might give it a go just now.

3. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Used to listen to it a lot on the way to games. Early kick offs in the SPL stop a lot of that now but still catch it a bit on the way to away games. It's a really good show. It was excellent when Jonathan Watson used to do sketches for it.

4. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hmmm..

I can stomach Cosgrove to a certain extent but for want of a better expression, Tam Cowan does my tits in.

5. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that due to his less than warm feelings towards the Old Firm?

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Not particularly as Cosgrove is much the same in that respect. I just find Tam Cowan annoying rather than amusing.

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the tip. Just downloaded last Saturday's show.

8. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Tam Cowan is a complete w@nk and in no way funny. His article in the Record is usually absolute gash.

Cosgrove's mental voice and laugh are hilarious, although I've never really watched or listened to him that much. I know he's a St Johnstone fan so his opinion of the OF is probably similar to Cowan's.

9. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listen to the BBC Podcasts at work.

10. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So where does Off The Ball go from here I wonder...

STUNNED dinner guests told of their shock last night - after radio comic Tam Cowan allegedly branded an innocent priest a paedophile.
    The radio and TV football pundit is said to have hurled the vile insult at Father Gerry Magee while speaking at a sportsman's function.

Cowan first joked that he hoped the churchman's team, Celtic, would get a hammering in the Old Firm match at Ibrox last month.

But when Fr Magee quipped he was actually the biggest RANGERS fan in town, Cowan, 40, replied: "You're the biggest paedophile in town."

The priest and at least two other diners then stormed out of the event, at the Masonic Lodge in Kilwinning, Ayrshire.

Sun Article

"When Fr Magee stood up, Cowan said to him 'I hope your team gets f****d' - referring to Celtic. Fr Magee was shocked and tried to make light of it by saying 'I am the biggest Rangers fan in the town'.

"Apparently, Cowan's reply to that was 'You're the biggest f*****g paedophile in the town'.

"Everyone was in total shock and no one took it as a joke."

We'll see where his career goes from here.

11. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    To be fair, look at the picture in the article!

12. st mirren till i die

Jul 14, 2007
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Saint Mirren FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    in cowan's defence he does look like a bit of a nonce, plus he's got the priest thing going against him too.

13. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm surprised by this tbh. didn't think he was into this sort of thing. he had to be pished. never thought he was very funny but not the type of guy i'd expect this out of. it was written in the Sun............