Off-Season spending

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by ZeekLTK, Dec 17, 2005.

1. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I will have slightly under $3 million to spend this off-season.

I currently have a 34 year old solid coach with passable leadership, a 22 year old titantic keeper, and 3 formidable forwards who are being trained.

So, I'm all set at those positions. Here's what I have in the positions I need to upgrade:

Midfield:

Player 1
    26 years [Technical]

Stamina: excellent Keeper: disastrous
    Playmaking: outstanding Passing: inadequate
    Winger: wretched Defending: inadequate
    Scoring: weak Set pieces: wretched

Player 2
    22 years

Stamina: solid Keeper: disastrous
    Playmaking: outstanding Passing: inadequate
    Winger: wretched Defending: weak
    Scoring: inadequate Set pieces: inadequate

Player 3
    31 years [Powerful]

Playmaking: solid Passing: solid
    Winger: wretched Defending: wretched
    Scoring: inadequate Set pieces: disastrous

Player 4
    34 years [Powerful]

Stamina: excellent Keeper: wretched
    Playmaking: solid Passing: inadequate
    Winger: poor Defending: weak
    Scoring: inadequate Set pieces: weak

Defense:

Player 1
    25 years [Unpredictable]

Playmaking: wretched Passing: inadequate
    Winger: inadequate Defending: formidable

Scoring: poor Set pieces: wretched

Player 2
    30 years [Quick]

Playmaking: poor Passing: inadequate
    Winger: poor Defending: solid
    Scoring: poor Set pieces: disastrous

Player 3
    27 years

Winger: wretched Defending: solid
    Scoring: weak Set pieces: solid

Player 4
    24 years

Stamina: passable Keeper: disastrous
    Playmaking: wretched Passing: solid
    Winger: disastrous Defending: passable
    Scoring: inadequate Set pieces: inadequate

Player 5
    29 years [Powerful]

Winger: wretched Defending: passable
    Scoring: weak Set pieces: formidable

What do I need to do this off-season to adequately upgrade my team to give me a chance to not only win my league next season, but possibly be competative in IV if I promote? Thanks in advance.

Note: I generally run a 3-4-3 with 3 IMs (Players 1-3) and a WTM (Player 4) and then AIM. I dunno if that will influence any advice or not, but just putting it out there...

2. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I think I would spend money on:

1). A pure winger (not very high, even just excellent or formidable, which can be had pretty cheap) who gives you the flexibility of playing AOW as a surprise. I've found using a FTW and overloading one side of my attack really helps. Granted, your forwards might not be well suited for it (my world class forward with solid winger has gained a star and half when played FTW), but even with lesser wing skill I think you could probably put it to some use. And I know stars are evil, but the ratings back me up: I've pulled a very low/low solid attack on one side by using that forward FTW, an excellent winger offensive, and an IM with passable passing also lined up on that side and playing offensive. At the very least, try it out in an offseason friendly if you haven't already.

I list that as number 1 not because it's high priority, but because it's pretty cheap.

2). I'd buy two formidable defenders, maybe even two outstandings. I have defender trainees right now and I put up dominating ratings with guys who range from formidable to magnificent (mostly toward the lower end), but I have the advantage of playing a 5-man backline. If you have three formidables, that shouldn't be too bad (though I don't know how strong your series is).

3). Buy the best IM you can get. Secondaries are nice, but not too necessary (aside from stamina).

As an alternative to this whole scheme, you could just sit on your money and get some interest from it. What kind of hatstats are you pulling right now and how much will that improve over the course of next season as your traineess improve? Don't spend lots of money now unless you're really making a push for a series title. If you can win a decent series, you'll have a shot at staying afloat in Div IV, but the average team there pulls over 200. If you're not in that neighborhood, you'll probably have a tough time getting to Div IV or staying there if you get there.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    get yourself a younger IM, with better skill then the one you have now. And start fading out some of those older players who will all be a year older next season and closer to skill drops as well.

4. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    What he said.

And I like the winger idea too. Defense upgrades would be nice, but given your kickass keeper I think it's a lower priority.

5. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    Oh whoops, I forgot that you have a titanic keeper. My keeper sucks, so I have to compensate. Maybe one formidable 21-22 becuase some of your other defenders are getting old, but you probably don't need anything else. Mea culpa.

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    3 million to spend? Actually I think you have more.

Sell:

Midfield Player 4 - get's you an extra 300K or so. 3.2million now.
    Defense Player 1 - should net you around 1million cash. 4.2 million now.

Buy:
    Spend around 2.5-3million on a magnificent or world class IM. He needs to have excellent stamina and preferably high experience (passable or higher). I would look for players 25 and under, because he'll be starting for you for several seasons

You'll now have around 1.2 - 1.7 million left. Whatever the number is, get the best brilliant/magnificent winger you can get. Don't worry about secondaries too much, this guy will be all about getting you a passable/solid attack on his side.

I think this makes the most sense. You have a nice defense right now, but you'll need it less when you get WAY more chances with a better midfield. Also, right now you have a great center attack but no midfield to supply it chances. Adding the IM I mention above and a winger will get you a lot more goals next season - and you actually give up less/the same even by reducing your defnese! You'll be getting better mid ratings than you did with WTM last season. However, this is without playing WTM AND you'll have a passable or solid attack on one side!

Whatever you do, don't waste any money on another defender. If you have DIV aspirations, you need midfield BAD.

7. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Right now I pull around 155-165. I figure with a few good buys and my strikers all getting to around brilliant by the end of next season, 200 should be reachable.

But my series is pretty tough. There is some team who definitally belongs in a higher division beating on all of us this year, but other than him, me and the other 4-5 teams are all neck and neck. There is a newbie team at the bottom, but other than that, there aren't any "easy games". The current 6th placed team pulls the 2nd most hatstats out of all of us (behind only the top guy). It's just really tight and competative. The only teams I managed to beat twice this season were the two who are being auto-relegated. Everyone else beat or tied me at least once this season. However, I am hoping that maybe an inactive team comes down next season, or at least a beatable team. If so, I'd like to be ready to step up and challenge for the title. Otherwise Bangalore, Black Hawks, Titan, or even Soro might take it!

1. Diana's Panthers 13 70 - 6 39

2. Norge Vikings 13 48 - 25 23
    3. Bangalore Athletic 13 26 - 24 21
    4. Titan FC 13 39 - 26 20
    5. Greeley Soro 13 24 - 19 20
    6. Black Hawks F.C 13 22 - 25 15*

7. Lusitania F.C. 13 13 - 41 9
    8. TraxData 13 4 - 80 3

*Blackhawks should have 18 points. In the first match of the season Rockwood beat him 1-0. The following week Rockwood became a bot and was replaced by TraxData, so basically everyone has gotten 6 points from the new guy except Black Hawks.

Thanks for the advice but:

I just bought Defense Player #1 this season (my only purchase the entire season, and I did pay $1 million for him heh)
    and... Midfield #4 is my coach. :D

So I think I still have $3 million to spend. :p

Also I have this guy as a winger just incase I need to use one (which I don't very often):

29 years [Unpredictable]

Stamina: excellent Keeper: wretched
    Playmaking: inadequate Passing: passable
    Winger: solid
    Defending: weak
    Scoring: passable Set pieces: weak

So you guys are pretty much recommending spending most of it on a really high IM?

That's why I made the thread, I wasn't really sure if it would be better to get like 2 more outstanding midfielders (and have 4 total) or to try to get like a magnificent guy for $3 mill... or to completely overhaul my defense.

As it is right now I have one of the worst midfields in the series. Even using 4 IMs (one as WTM) I still struggle to compete for possession. :/

Here were everyone's stats the other week:

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree w/ Stogey.

You need to do better in midfield.

You definitely need a good winger.

I think you can do better in defence with experienced players. If you can get a passable/solid experience excellent defender he'll do you fine for quite some time as well.

You don't need to purchase a FTW player but the next trainee you get should have atleast weak wing skill. My experiments w/ FTW have shown that while wingskill is a nice bonus, a good forward w/ little or no wing skill, like my mag./weak forward will get u 5.5 stars and if paired w/ an outstanding winger an excellent wing attack.

That excellent wing attack beats the flank defence of almost any team in your series I'm sure.. and they still have to guess what side you'll play it on.

9. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    At this point I need to invest in wingers/wingbacks, and it couldn't hurt to aim for a 4+ star midfielders.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'll have some money to spend I guess it will be atleast 2.7M and probably more if I make another sale or two.

I wouldn't mind a better than formid. GK and I could probably use an upgrade at CD as well.