Off season moves

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by BVgolski07, Sep 24, 2007.

1. BVgolski07

BVgolski07 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you all think the fire should try to do in the off season? I think Wanchope could be released if they landed a semi-big name striker to replace him (perhaps a polock). Do Borghetti and Blanco get along? perhaps they could bring him in, otherwise I'm sure they could get another big time mexican player that will want to share in the success Blanco is having with the fans and team. We def need to get a replacement for Carr, Barrett is ok i think. What is Mapp's contract like? Having him and rolfe in the mids would be pretty dangerous.

2. salparadisejr

salparadisejr Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Hollywood, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanchope is not going anywhere.

Our midfield is what needs work, yes, even more than forwards.

Right mid
    Central holding mid
    Defensive mid (if current ones retire as planned)

I would add a cheap young forward to add depth behind Wanchope Rolfe and Barrett.

Pretty happy with a backline of Dasan, Conde, and Sega. Maybe get a replacement for CJ if he retires.

I really don't think we're that far from being championship contenders. Some might say we have the talent already, just not the depth. Our current starting 11 (when all are healthy) is easily top 5 in the league. A holding midfielder to play behind Blanco I think would probably be the biggest boost performance wise for the team.

3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get rid of:

Barrett
    Pause
    Armas
    CJ Brown
    Wanchope (if he doesn't get his act together)
    Jim Curtin

Untouchable:

CONDE
    Blanco
    Rolfe
    Soumare
    Mapp
    Pickens
    Segares
    Robinson

Give them some time to develop

Carr
    Plotkin
    Banner
    Franks
    Telesford
    Russolillo
    Woodlard

50/50

Busch (good back up for Pickens)
    Gutierrez
    Jeff Curtin
    Guerrero
    Menezes

We need to pickup a depenable forward and midfielder, I think are backline is in good shape with Conde, Robinson, Segares and Pickens. Are midfield is in good shape with Blanco, Mapp, Guerreo, Carr, ?, and are forward Rolfe and ?.

So we need to get a midfielder and a forward in the offseason.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh*

I don't know what to do here.

He's been pretty wretched for much of this season....

but people really thought he had potential in his rookie year.

He was on everybody's list to protect in the expansion draft...

On Sunday, I saw a couple of flubs from him... but a few times, he really did look quite dangerous and good on the ball... better than I have seen him for much of this season.

I think he's got some confidence issues... some justified confidence issues... but I think the skill is there. In all honesty... I think he's another player that Dave broke. I sincerely believe that if we unloaded him to another team, he'd score a lot of goals against us.

5. snowblind

snowblind Member

Mar 31, 2002
    n side chicago

6. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know he was everybody's whipping boy while being played out of position at right mid, but in the games where he's supposed to do what he does best, he's looked good.

7. Thebizkit

Thebizkit New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    It all really depends on what rules will the MLS change or tinker with again. Rumors of another DP per team will do wonders for the league, maybe letting teams have more SI's would be a great move also.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless I'm mistaken, he's automatically protected in the upcoming, as well as the previous expansion drafts by virtue of his GenAd (non salary cap) contract through the end of the 2008 season, so, he can only be traded or waived and if waived, we get nothing for him when another team takes his contract, which is a bargain if you can get 6 or more goals per season out of a player without a salary hit.

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep:

Conde
    Barrett
    Blanco
    Rolfe
    Pause
    Soumare
    Pickens
    Busch
    Segares
    Robinson
    Menezes
    Mapp

Prove you belong versus the draftpicks/new acquisitions

Carr
    Plotkin
    Banner
    Franks
    Telesford
    Russolillo
    Woodlard

Keep but be open to trade:

Gutierrez
    Guerrero

Allow to retire or waive if they don't accept that role

Armas
    CJ Brown

Waive

Wanchope
    Jim Curtin
    Jeff Curtin

Look to acquire:

D-Mid in the Toja mold
    2 forwards
    Right mid.

10. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Agree.

It bothers me that Pause has no ability at all to play on the outside of the field, in midfield or in the back line as we saw in 2005 and 2006. But put him in a central D mid role and he's at least a serviceable player.

11. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Wanchope isn't going anywhere, so any talk of that is pointless.

I would think that either Carr or Barrett or both won't be back.

Neither Curtin will be back, that one is the lock of the week.

I'd say that 1 of these three won't be back: Armas, Brown, Diego

Either Mapp or Ivan will be traded

Conde will be here in 2008, and thank god for that

Hopefully the Floyd Franks experiment ends after this season.

12. Thebizkit

Thebizkit New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    1. We first need to know for SURE what Wanchope's contract looks like, some people say 1 year, others say 4. I think its 4 but if its 1 year and Wanchope continues to suck its a no brainer that hes not going to be signed back for anything even close to what hes making right now.

2. Jim Curtin is going to be gone, I don't know if his contract is up but at 120,000 a year, it would help the Fire tons to shed that contract. Jeff Curtin is making 12,000 so If hes not moved It doesn't hurt the Fire much at all.

3. You almost hope that guys like CJ, Armas and Diego either leave or retire. Your talking about close to $458,000 in expiring contracts. Again since its very hard to find information on contract length in the MLS, we can only hope that all 3 contracts are up after the 07 season.

4. Mapp will be with the Fire, hes a good player and the Fire could really use him in 08.

5. I'm pretty sure that the MLS will give another DP to each team in the MLS next season, with the Fire being one of only 2 team to actually make a profit and hope that some of the older players are gone which will open up close to 300,000+ I can see the Fire bringing in another DP on the offensive side.side.

13. tacologic

tacologic Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    I've gone over this a lot in my head, and it seems really hard to wrap my head around. Expansion has a lot to do with what happens, but so does who we can get. It seems a given that Osorio will remake the team, but with whom? Arena did it this year with New York, but with the exception of Angel, I don't know if their overall skill level is any higher.

Onalfo didn't do much with his lineup other than change how they play, which was successful at the beginning, but has faded a bit. Morrow brought in some new players, but also did a lot with some USL level defenders. Soehn did similarly.

So that being said, it's pretty hard to say what will be done. I don't know if it'll be as radical as what Bruce did, but my guess is that we'll see 4-6 new players, not including the draft.

14. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Pretty sure it was a multi-year deal for Wanchope

Either Mapp or Guerrero will be shopped around this off-season.

15. Thebizkit

Thebizkit New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    If its between Mapp or Guerrero I think Guerrero will be the one traded away, he makes more money then Mapp and isnt as skilled.

As for Wanchope I just hope he can atleast be a productive player for the majority of his 4 year deal.