OFC Women World Cup 2023 qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by shlj, Apr 29, 2022.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Cook Islands, Fiji, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tahiti, Tonga and Vanuatu will play for the chance to join New Zealand – who qualified automatically as the co-hosts – as the Oceania representatives at the World Cup.

American Samoa are unable to take part due to ongoing challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The draw for the OFC Women’s Nations Cup will take place on Tuesday, May 10 and see competing nations split into three pots based on their FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking as of March 25, 2022.

The quarter-finals, semi-finals and final will all be single-leg matches, with the two losing semi-finalists also contesting a playoff for third place.

The winner go to the Intercontinental play-offs, no direct qualification.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What's currently the highest-ranked Oceanian team, apart from New Zealand?

(in other words, what's the actual chance that an Oceanian team could qualify through the intercontinental play-offs? :coffee:)

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's PNG ranked 49. Qualification would be surprising, it will depend who they would get.

toad455 and blissett repped this.
  4. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    0.000000000000000000000000001% + probability that their opponents have to withdraw because of covid + probability of Italy as opponent x 0,05:cautious::unsure:

The pots should be:
    Pot 1: Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Tonga
    Pot 2: New Caledonia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
    Pot 3: Samoa, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu

blissett repped this.
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I posted ratings in one of the other threads, but going just by current FIFA ratings, it's entirely possible that PNG gets the fourth and final seed in the playoffs (and rather likely since they're the best bet for OFC's playoff spot and it's unlikely for CRC or MEX to fall to the C'CAF playoff spots). They'd be more than 150pts behind the likely third seed TPE but less than 200pts behind, so in a theoretical single standalone match of seed 3 vs seed 4 (e.g. the qualification round of the playoffs), that's an "expected result" of around 0.27 for PNG. You can't directly treat expected result as a win chance, but honestly saying PNG has even a 20% chance against the likes of TPE doesn't seem very far-fetched to me.

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do respect this approach, but I guess the recent Tahiti's tour in Europe showed once again how unreliable FIFA rankings are for what concerns inter-continental comparison. Tahiti were way ahead of Liechtenstein in rankings, but they were more or less demolished by them in two games, suggesting that OFC teams could be significantly overrated compared to their real power.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #7 SiberianThunderT, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    You mean Luxembourg?
    Remember, the important thing for H2H comparisons is rating, not ranking. Luxembourg were rated at less around 50pts below Tahiti, so with Home Field Advantage taken into account, that became about 50pts advantage to Luxembourg. Granted, a 50pts difference probably shouldn't have meant as big of a score difference versus what happened, but Tahiti wasn't expected to be the better team while playing in Luxembourg. Also, remember that the rankings are more accurate the higher up they are, and PNG is over 200pts above Tahiti & Luxembourg.

A better data point would be PNG beating Singapore in Singapore earlier this month, 1-0. Singapore was expected to lose even with HFA since their rating is definitely below WC play-off quality, so make of that what you will.

blissett repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, sorry! :x3: At least it anyway started with L! :p

9. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The result of the draw that happened two weeks ago

The full schedule

A final between the favourites Papua New Guinea and Fiji is possible if both teams win their groups.

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looks like Tahiti was screwed. The group with Tonga would sure have been better for them.

This reminds me that we've basically had no news from Tonga, after the tsunami hitting them some months ago: I assume everything, including women's football, resumed regularly? :cautious:

11. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tonga had a four weeks training camp in Australia where they improved from a 0:16 against Philippines to a 0:5 against the same opponent eight days later.

blissett repped this.
  12. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Can New Caledonia qualify? I can't remember if they're a FIFA member or not.

13. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, since 2004.

JanBalk and toad455 repped this.
  14. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  15. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Monique Fischer(28), Jayda Stewart(70)

Lechus7, toad455 and blissett repped this.
  16. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    It seems rather pointless to have 8 out of the 9 teams advance to a knockout round.

SiberianThunderT and JanBalk repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It does... though, to be fair, in a region where there is no qualifying campaign to the regional championships, I can understand wanting to build some "padding" into each nation's schedule. Since these teams often don't play friendlies (i.e. they're generally only active for official competitions,) you want to wait until teams are sharp before you actually start eliminating them, so it's more likely you have you best team(s) moving on. Having an almost-no-stakes group stages basically gives the teams a "preseason" to warm up for the actually-important knockout stage.

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Who will likely be the poor team getting the short end of the stick and being eliminated after "pre-season"? :p

19. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I'd guess Vanuatu would be the odd team out. They're the lowest ranked team and are in a tough group.

blissett repped this.
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm betting Vanuata. Lowest-ranked side, fewest previous appearances in the tournament, in a group with PNG and Tahiti (who I think is a sleeper pick in the region). Solomon Islands are the other option.

21. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My guess is Vanuatu. They had a 0:0 draw against Solomon Islands in a friendly some days ago but Papua New Guinea is in their group.

blissett repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, I see Vanuatu is the most common choice: let's see if they're going to upset the unanimous predictions. :laugh:

toad455 and Lechus7 repped this.
  23. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Poor, poor Tonga's GK... :coffee:

Screams and shrieks weren't surely missing from the standings.

Lohmann repped this.
  25. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Vanuatu, I apologize:) Better than expected or is Papua New Guinea not so good as I thought?:unsure:

Vanessa Keletia(71) - Marie Kaipu(34), Ramona Padio(76), Charlie Yanding(79)

I would have changed my last place prediction to Solomon Islands but it`s 1:1 at HT against Fiji.

blissett repped this.