Of interest to Detroit fans

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by bomp, Jun 18, 2007.

1. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so much for the Joe Louis, but maybe Cobo arena. The Joe is too big.

2. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    What is the capacity of Cobo Hall?

3. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About 12,000, but it is very verticle. I think there are 3 levels, so it can look full on TV pretty easily.

4. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.

Thanks.

5. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article: "Over the past decade, companies controlled by the Ilitches have acquired nearly all of the land behind their Fox Theatre and Hockeytown Cafi, fueling speculation they will build a new home for the Wings and move the team to the Foxtown area on Woodward north of Grand Circus Park."

I thought that this was in dispute. They originally acquired the land through eniment domain, to put the new Tigers stadium there. When the Lions agreed to the dual stadia, they moved them across the street. The I's then wanted to put parking in the land they acquired, but lost the right to put anything there except for the original purpose.

Also, about the discussion of Cobo Arena: (1) The Rockers originally played there, and you could argue that they still might have been around if they didn't move the team to JLA. (2) The future of Cobo Arena is up in the air: if they want to expand Cobo Center, one idea is to tear down both JLA and CA, expand Cobo Center in both directions, and build a new hockey arena.

6. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is also a plot of land that the I's havn't been able to acquire yet that is in that area where the mythical new Hockeytown arena os supposed to go.

I agree that moving to the Joe would be a bad move. There is a thread somewhere here that we disscussed the Ignitions next move. The thoughts were that the Joe and the Palace were too big. I suggested the arena at the State Fair Grounds(capacity about 5,600), but someone made a point that some fans may be afraid of that part of town. I don't agree, Wayne State and the Motor City Mechanics play there or will play there. Also, it's not like it's in the slums, it may be technically Detroit, but Ferndale is right across the street. It does make sense to tear down Cobo arena to expand the confrence hall space. I can't remember anything that I have gone to there for years.