ODU vs. VCU [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ODUwildman, Oct 12, 2003.

1. ODUwildman

ODUwildman New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Lancaster, Pa.
    Monarchs win 2-1.

VCU broke ODU's unscored upon streak in the 20th minute on an absolute ROCKET shot from about 25 yards out, beating Sam Cameron to his left side.

VCU controlled the first half, but the second half, Brian Cvilikas scored the first of his two goals on a cross in the box from Grad Student Josh Hill and "hipped" it past the VCU keeper to knot the score at 1-1 at about 10 mins into the second half.

Cvilikas scored his second goal roughly 10 minutes later and ODU pressued with two more opportunities, but both were stuffed by the VCU keeper.... and Vendegh had his chips stopped three straight times by the VCU keeper as he sprawled on the grass.

I've gotta say that VCU is a quality team and this was the first game in the last FIVE that ODU and VCU didn't go into Overtime.

VCU is off a quality win on the road at W&M and played very good soccer today in the 2-1 loss.

ODU improves to 10-0-0 and remains the only unbeaten, untied team in Division I.

To those in the CAA and schools that have non-conference games against VCU, the Rams are TOUGH!

In between games here at ODU with the women hosting Virginia Tech (But I had to watch my Bucs against the skins)... back there at halftime.

JB

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Great win for ODU.

If they beat W&M, they could very well go into the CAA Tourney perfect.

3. VCU Fan

VCU Fan New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    Thanks for the recap, Wildman. Neither website has the press release from the game up yet (probably because of the women's game). I was hopeful that VCU would break the shutout streak and get a big win, but that was a lot to ask with the way ODU is playing. ODU still has a lot of tough games left in the CAA, but if they keep playing well they should run the table.

As for the Rams, they'll have to wait until the tourney to get another shot at ODU. After losing a couple games early, it looks like they've turned things around. The win at W&M was huge, as road wins are tough to get in the CAA. And I'm happy to see Matt Delicate break out of his scoring slump with six goals in four games before the ODU game. Wildman, any idea who scored VCU's goal?

Anyway, congrats on a good win and we'll see you guys in the CAA tourney.

4. ODUwildman

ODUwildman New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Lancaster, Pa.
    The goal...

...was by the aforementioned Delicate.

Solid player.

5. nikefan

nikefan New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    RIC
    attacking minded

anyone stand out on either side?

6. Number1fan

Number1fan New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Hey Wildman tell me

I just want to know your opinion of Josh Hill. I saw him play at VWC and he seemed to have all the tool necessary to control a D3 game. Now he is playing at D1 with a team that is highly ranked and has played some of the best in the nation. (UNC, UVa, Cal Berk, Stanford, Wake, VCU, to name a few)

Also, what's your take on ODU as a whole? Are they the real deal, or have they been extremely lucky? Also, at 10-0-0 and only given up one goal all season, don't you think they should be ranked #1. I mean everyone else has given up more than one goal, everyone else has at least one loss.

7. ODUwildman

ODUwildman New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Lancaster, Pa.
    Hill's been playing well, seeing time in all but one of the Monarchs games so far.
    His transition from the D-III game at Virginia Wesleyan (a decent program in itself) to a role at ODU has been smooth.

Using his last year of eligibility at ODU as a grad. student is most likely more than memorable....

Luck can be the intial question when a team seemingly comes out of nowhere and becomes etched in the Top 5 in the four/five national "polls."

They play solid soccer, Kevon Harris is a spark in the midfield, but this season, ODU is showing they are more than just a one-trick pony (A. Vendegh).

They're in good shape and while they do crowd the box and play defensive late in the game, that's nothing atypical of a winning team once they get the lead and have a tremendous defense.

They're also a very second-half team, scoring 19 or their 25 goals in the second 45. They can wear you down and are very physical (but not to the point of thug dirtiness-- w/ exception to the wrestling-style game against Hofstra last season).

While I'm no soccer expert, I've been around the sport for a while and am glad Coach Dawson and the guys are gelling (no foot insert jokes please).

They've already met last year's regular season win total (10) and have seven more conference games to go.

Should things go like they have been, that final regular season tilt against W&M should be a good one. .. I just hope the Busch Field surface doesn't become a factor (astroturf).

JB

8. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Dawson is one of the best coaches in the country. A class guy all the way, and he can flat coach.

I think you HAVE to vote ODU number one in the country until somebody beats them.

9. ODUwildman

ODUwildman New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Lancaster, Pa.
    I wouldn't go as far as ranking them #1 just because they are unbeaten...

ODU still hasn't established a "tradition" yet. Hence those preseason rankings with Stanford being in the top five despite it was knowingly a "down" season for the two-time runner-up Cardinal.

An exhibition tie with UNC and wins AT Cal, Stanford and home vs. Wake can make a case for the top spot, but those teams do have the tradition whereas those of us at ODU hope that in now Dawson's 7th year, the tradition is mounting and going to start yielding top 5 teams year in and year out, not just one year.

I'm hoping the Monarchs can make a serious run at the national championship and a #1 ranking, that would do loads for the school and for the athletic dept. to realize that women's sports don't run this campus and they need to support all sports equally... not just jump on a sports' bandwagon because they're playing well (but I would prefer students to at least hop on the bandwagon).

I've never been big on rankings (and I do rankings for my Virginia High School wrestling website).

I'd love to see them #1... but UCLA and Maryland and UNC can open the door with losses should the Monarchs stay unbeaten (with seven games remaining).

10. CM

CM New Member

Oct 18, 2000
    W&M Field

I thought W&M are opening their new Soccer Staduim this season which is natural grass.
    I know it was behind schedule, It should be
    done by now.

11. Number1fan

Number1fan New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    W&M field

I do believe that W&M was changing to a grass surface. But I found this information on the WM website..

WILLIAMSBURG, VA - The College of William and Mary athletics department announced today that Albert-Daly Field, the future home of the Tribe’s soccer and lacrosse teams, will not be ready for play by the end of the fall season. All of the remaining W&M home men’s soccer games will be moved to Busch Field, while the Tribe women will also primarily host at Busch when scheduling allows. Due to conflicts, the women’s team will host two games (Oct. 10 vs. Howard and Oct. 12 vs. Cincinnati) at Barksdale Field. Decisions on the use of Albert-Daly Field during the spring lacrosse schedule will be made after the field has been completed.

So turf it will be and I believe that will give an edge to the team that is more familar with turf... W&M

12. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Not to take anything away from W&M, but once they get a natural grass field, they lose a HUGE advantage.
    I would venture to say that playing on that astroturf piece is good for at least 3 or 4 wins a season.