ODP players bag their club team

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by AASoccer, Apr 14, 2006.

1. AASoccer

AASoccer New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    In our state the written rule is that players are required to put club events ahead of ODP.

We have 6 ODP state pool players on our team. The cuts for who gets to play on the state teams at the regional event are coming up.

ODP is practicing next weekend and the practice overlaps with a game which has been on the schedule for two months.

Some of the ODP parents are saying their kids will not come to the club game, or will come late, in order to get their kid one more chance to impress the ODP coaches (after four months of games and practices).

Any opinions about this?

ODP parents want the game (now 8 days away) rescheduled.

2. esther15

esther15 New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    ODP will divide your team more and more when they get older. There is no loyalty to the club. Our team very rarely has their starting lineup together, due to ODP schedule and the players become more and more ME players. It is really frustrating. Every one thinks if their kid is on ODP theire going to get lots of money playing in Europe someday. The only ones getting lots of money is ODP

3. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    In my state, the higher level team is suppose to take priority, so the ODP team would (unfortunately) come before the club team. I'd say reschedule the game.

4. AASoccer

AASoccer New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    That's unfortunate, Esther. :( The funny thing is two of these odp girls don't START on our team. They are take-on artists who refuse to ever pass the ball. Our coach doesn't appreciate that style of play (these two score practically no goals because they always lose the ball!) That kind of selfishness may get you noticed at a two hour tryout, but it doesn't work to win games as a team.

In our state a lot of the best players don't even go out for ODP because some of the teams practice on Friday nights (that's very popular with teenage girls) and the social environment is terrible (too many prima donas).

So it is especially annoying when they insist that we change our scheduled game to accomodate their odp practice.

5. AASoccer

AASoccer New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Hi Bird, In Mass I probably would reschedule, but my state specificallly provides that ODP never takes precedence over club.

IF they had given us more notice (both our game, and ODP practice have been on the schedule for months) I would say fine.

Unfortunately this plan not to attend the club game was cooked up in the bar these parents frequent while their kids were practicing last night.

Not, in my experience, the best location for rational decision making.:(

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Now there's a familiar story. Works that way on the boys side, too.

The issue is twofold. First, the ODP coaches seek potential as well as current usefulness. Rightly or wrongly, they see take-on artists as in general having greater potential than other players. Second, the ODP format doesn't really reward strong minds. The scrimmages are tactically limited and have something of the feel of all-star games. So discipline, teamwork, competitive mindset, and above all intelligence tend to be discounted. As you know, those factors win games ... but they don't tend to win ODP spots.

7. Thomas19

Thomas19 New Member

Aug 22, 2005
    I respectfully disagree...in my odp years i progressed to and through region teams by being a smart left back, no size, bllinding speed, or amazing skill to brag about. These coaches know more then they are given credit. I personally feel, and this was the case in my state of Georgia, that ODP is of higher priority then club. But thats just an opinion.

8. AASoccer

AASoccer New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Yeah, John, my kid didn't try out for ODP this year, three practices/week, one to two club games/weekend, 7 or 8 tournaments a year, practice through the winter and Super Y in the summer seemed like enough soccer to her. Oh, and a season of middle school soccer on top of club in the fall with 8 games/season and 4 practices a week.

Plus, she tends to the thoughtful disciplined game that doesn't get looked at by ODP.

I think more and more parents don't see the value of ODP if they have good training. And my kid's trainer is way better than any of the ODP coaches. Also a number of the girls who are doing ODP also play middle school or high school seasons on top of everything else and injuries and burnout are starting to become issues.

But it is annoying that the ODP parents think their kids don't walk on the turf, and we are just so fortunate to have them.:rolleyes:

9. AASoccer

AASoccer New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Of course they know a lot, they picked you didn't they!:D

jk.

But seriously, the point is that there are lots of different ways to get noticed by colleges and ODP is just one of them.

And making the state pool is not the be all and end all.

Making the regional team is much more meaningful.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I generalize. Glad that your experience was different. I've talked to a couple of senior ODP guys who say that they're not just looking for strong, fast, blind dribblers but for soccer intelligence. And I've seen a couple of such selections. Not too many, though.

We don't have many fullbacks selected to ODP around here.

11. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    I know what you are saying. We have other issues here in Mass. that would create similar problems. The main problem is the state association provides "guidelines" not "rules". In other words, what happens is that the "guidelines" are open for interpretation which leaves a lot of kids in a bad situation. If there were "rule" than there would be "consequences" when the rules are broken which tends to get everyone on the same page.

If your state says that club comes first, are there any consequences for those who ignore the mandate?

12. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    AASoccer,

It seems to me that you are letting your personal feelings about ODP affect your judgement on this matter.

ODP, like it or not, is an opportunity for those girls and if you as the coach can help out by rescheduling a game you should.

It is usually not that big of a deal to reschedule a game and from the sounds of your post it is not the game but the way the parents and the children are acting. Be the bigger person reschedule the game and move on. Just make sure they know that you and your team are making a sacrafice but are proud to have girls on your team that are going the route of ODP.

13. Jumbo1

Jumbo1 Member

Feb 19, 2000
    TN.
    The states that I have coached, ODP takes priority. Why would a game take priority over ODP, even a tournament game? Our club has a player in residency camp in Bradenton. He can play very few games and probably won't be there for state cup. Ask yourself if your helping your player, or keeping them from an opportunity? This is the same type of thing you see from some high school coaches and high school associations that won't release, or allow player to stay with an ODP program because they "need" that player to get fit for high school or to play in a scrimmage or season opener in which they beat the opposing team by more than 5 goals...both ridiculous but true situations I have seen.

14. Kick It

Kick It New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ok I have to do this. I love soccer my daughter is on a very competetive team. but this whole thing is crazy.

For instance: The NFL has just come out with a new program where 12 year olds playing football will be placed in a separate league. This league will be to identify and develop those players who show skill and promise. AN NFL Owner said "It is a good lesson for these kids to learn that by joining this team their odds of making in on a pro team goes up to a million to one". This league will be a feeder for the NFL. A representative from the NFL said, "I know they are just kids but we need to identify the best as soon as possible and place them into this feeder program so we can get the best NFL prospects possible". Further more in an attempt to get the kids more plays with the ball we have changed all kids football games to 8 vs 8. Of course we are shrinking the field to 50 yards as well. When asked where the NFL got this Idea the representative said "we are modling this after the ODP program has which has proven successful because the best soccer players in the world now come from the USA".:rolleyes:

Just a little fun.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is a girls' board, right? In which case it's pretty close to truth. A group of ODP U16 girls recently whupped on 3 Dutch adult teams, for example.

16. Kick It

Kick It New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Not even "that was pretty funny"?

17. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    I think it was funny

18. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    ODP has worked for my kid in many ways and I believe that most of the best players in the state are on the team. Our state does not have any rules about ODP participation but our club coach says ODP is more important on a player's resume than club soccer, so players should always attend ODP. Sometimes that means playing with less than 11 players, but that's his philosophy.

19. BruceJ

BruceJ New Member

Feb 14, 2006
    This conflict goes on with everything, everywhere. Are the clubs, schools, etc. really doing what is best for the kids or is it a power struggle? My daughter was recently benched on her HS softball team because she had done basketball and it was felt she was not in shape for the season. Seems the coach would have appreciated someone who had been working out all winter rather than doing nothing. Why can't ODP kids be cut some slack? It's more soccer with different perspectives of coaching the kids. An advantage it would seem!

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's getting really ugly now with the clubs & high schools fighting for the top players during the high school seasons. The clubs are making veiled threats that the players who opt for high school ball will find themselves behind more loyal teammates during the rest of the club calendar, while the high schools are suggesting that a player who sits out high school ball one year might not find herself with a position the next year.

Now, who would be the adults and who would be the children, I ask you?