October Friendlies (Chile & Algeria)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Sep 10, 2019.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #26 HomietheClown, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    I will say what I said last month, it probably came down to Morelos or Santos Borre. This time Morelos got the nod.

Fantastic to see Sinisterra get his chance.

Not the biggest fan of Mojica but he is probably our best pure crosser from the wings and is more of a pure LB when compared to Tesillo.

Maybe Cuellar is being punished for going to Arabia?

Azucarero and Furnaccio repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Also happy to see Ibargüen make the squad. His chemistry with Roger can be useful.

3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Borre is in the Copa lib semifinal no? Maybe that is why no Boca/river players.

Azucarero repped this.
  4. jquintero10

jquintero10 Member

May 19, 2010
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think that move to the Saudi league killed it for him

Azucarero and Furnaccio repped this.
  5. Jace

Jace Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Wouldnt be surprised if Davinson backs out. He got injured last international break and is still injured.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In this hypothetical who do you think would replace him? There does not seem to be too many CB options getting playing time at good clubs lately.

7. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Glad Berrio and Cuellar got the axe. I've read reports that Arias had a disagreement with Queiroz during CA. Solid callup.

HomietheClown and crzdcolombian repped this.
  8. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I'm confused by Munoz' absence. He's in just as good form as he was before he was ruled out from the last friendlies. I'm guessing Quieroz was just really impressed by Yairo...?

Otherwise, I agree. Solid. Everybody who's missing has a logical explanation for it. Ibarguen is far from a favorite for me...but he's better than Berrio.

9. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Interesting with the cut outs. I like that the coach doesn't hold back with sending a message; hence to Arias and Falcao for example.

10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not to be a Debby Downer

24 players only?... 4 goalies.....

GKs
    -No Ospina - let him win his spot We need a #2. Who cares if we win these games

DF
    -Murillo is too old when the starters are the age they are
    - Mojica is in 2nd division now..... no one in our league?
    - bring 5 LBS !!! Get a ACTUAL ONE not a CB at LB. Especially a younger option

MF
    - 6 called.... again call more !!! 1 is a RB now in Cuadrado
    - Why no Munoz, Cantillo or Barrera?

FW
    Solid and best we have thanks for not forcing Falcao on us

Any Colombian league guys? Does he scout that? He got a ton of love when he first came in as he was going to league games. Don't see him scouting

11. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    To be honest I haven't seen enough of Munoz, can you give me a quick scouting report?

I really like Ibargüen, if he learns to make the simple play instead of excessive possession he can be dangerous, he's really explosive.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #37 HomietheClown, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    You always complain about the number of players called in. We get it.

I disagree about Ospina. He needs to be comfortable out there with his back line mates and that comfort only comes with repetition and playing in games together. Especially within Queiroz's tactics.

Does not matter if Mojica is in Second Division he is a (relatively) good crosser and that is something our manager likes. Apparently no one in Colombia is as good. And even if there was the manager just does not think highly of the domestic League and wants them to move on to a bigger League. The good thing is that the LBs being used in the Sub23 are Colombian so if they impress Reyes in friendlies and in the Pre-Olympics maybe they will get a shot in March.

He is scouting. He just does not like what he sees and wants the very best players in the best form against the best competition.

13. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I know your feedback about the NT process (# of games, local players, etc) is aggressive at times, but look at Mexico - they do the things that you basically suggest (2 separate rosters - local and euro players; more games) and their upside from all that extra work is minimal. Sure they win the Gold Cup (insert CONCACAF joke) and play in the Confederations Cup - but while you make some valid points above (some I agree with, others not so much), i don't think what you are proposing is going to make our team that much better...

this may be off topic, but maybe FIFA should incorporate a rule where all draws after 90 minutes go straight to penalties for friendlies - that way, one team always goes home the winner and it gives the fans something to talk about after a draw....

J-Mezzy repped this.
  14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well last WC we scrambled to find a LB even freaking out to get another friendly.

test fking players or rape teams if we are only going to play 18 guys and switch out 3-4 per call up

I am tied if we are trying shit but don’t try new guys or formation then the same excuses since I was born when we don’t win

15. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Same old whine fest from u bro

16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    when we got knocked out then it’s like why didn’t we have a better lB

why didn’t we get a backup for Abel!

17. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Do you ever think there aren't any? Maybe our pool of players isn't as deep as you think in certain postions, we aren't Brasil dude, you think Colombia is a giant our program is still in diapers.

18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dude - look at how many MF’s we tried last cycle before we had to go back to Roca-Abel. We discussed this ad naseum.

Dani torres, Alex Mejía, Edwin Valencis, Guillermo celis, Gustavo cuellar, seb Pérez, Carlos carbonero just to name a few and you are fully aware of this!

The LB issue was a total whiff but i don’t even think France has a proper LB. both their RB/LB went into the 2018 World Cup with less than 12 combined games. I think only Brazil has authentic LBs on their depth chart

Azucarero repped this.
  19. jquintero10

jquintero10 Member

May 19, 2010
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I love my Colombian National team but these are the best players we have and right now they’re taking part in 2 teams u23 and senior squad. Let’s be realistic here we’re not gonna call up a player that we might think is good in the Colombian domestic league over a player that is decent in Europe. We have a solid team but we’re not gonna call 40 players let’s be real

20. lvbeto

lvbeto Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    we always have the same complaints. If we pick 11 new guys to start, we'll pick our favorite and complain he didn't get to play with the A team. If we pick the same 11 veteran starters, we aren't scouting enough and looking for new talent.

Tough to please everyone but overall a good list for the friendlies.

Froboy69 repped this.
  21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I'd like to see Cuesta soon instead of Murillo. He's going too be a player for us going forward, think Davinson, Mina, Lucumi, Cuesta and if he doesn't think Lucumi is ready then we call up Cristian Zapata and is the old head.

Normally I'm fine with players backing out if they are congested with games and avoiding injury, but that's not James problem at Madrid, it doesn't matter what he does if the others are fit he won't play so it doesn't make sense to avoid coming to the camp working with the team and getting game time. Dude seems hell bent on throwing away everything to try and succeed at Madrid. I love that he's determined but he needs to learn a very valuable lesson earlier rather then later, if the game is rigged you cannot win no matter what you do. That's the case with Zidane, its better in this case to work with Colombia and focus on the group working together rather then Madrid where the game is rigged against him.

No Arias is troubling, he's a very good player and one we'll need, hopefully CQ and Arias can sort it out for the better of everyone involved. Also I'm happy with no Falcao, we need to give the new generation the reigns, we can call in Falcao when needed but he doesn't fit the style we're playing and is only going to regress more, he's still good for a goal when needed but Duvan/Roger/Muriel should be first choice 9's right now and also its more valuable to give Morelos a real good look and let Falcao rest.

Furnaccio repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The only down side to Cuesta over Murillo or Zapata is that leaves us with very little veterans at CB with big National Team matches coming up in 2020/2021.

That said, Mina and Davinson grew up really fast in a short amount of time. Maybe he (and Lucumí for that matter) can too. He did not look out of place against Napoli in the CL so hopefully he gets more playing time and continues to look good.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I cannot speak on behalf of the manager but I just think he is not a fan of Arias' style of game. Almost all of his crosses and shots are low and weak compared to the European style of RBs Queiroz is used to.
    And Orejuela seems to be getting more playing time and confidence at Cruzeiro so I can see why he was called up over him.

24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    TV Info for Saturday's Game:
    https://www.livesoccertv.com/match/3463191/colombia-vs-chile/

Saturday 10/12/19
    12 PM EST
    (although I have also seen 11 AM EST in some other promotional stuff)

Live Details:
    PPV

Replay Details:
    October 14
    5:00pm EST
    beIN SPORTS USA (Stream via Fubo TV / Sling TV), Fanatiz USA , beIN SPORTS CONNECT U.S.A. (Stream via Fubo TV / Sling TV)

October 14
    10:00pm EST
    Fanatiz USA , beIN SPORTS en Español (Stream via Fubo TV / Sling TV), beIN SPORTS CONNECT U.S.A. (Stream via Fubo TV / Sling TV)

October 15
    10:00am EST
    Fanatiz USA , beIN SPORTS en Español (Stream via Fubo TV / Sling TV), beIN SPORTS CONNECT U.S.A. (Stream via Fubo TV / Sling TV)

Azucarero repped this.
  25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Haven’t Mina and Sanchez been starters at their clubs since they were 17. Both are 5+ years in their careers isn’t that Veteran enough for you guys?

Furnaccio repped this.